Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine Check light

Default Engine Check light

Guys,

My engine check light has come on whilst I am driving. I stop and switch off and restart immedidately and the light stays off. The manual says it is due the emission sensor playing up. I wasn'y concern until it happenned twice in one journey. Is this a potential major problem (? cost)? It's due for a service anyway.

SS

Either get the code from the ECU, or wait until the service for it to be.

Mine did the same thing once when I got it.
    Search in NSXPrime on how to read the codes.

Maybe it's linked to the door amp in some way?
    If your fear of staying alive, outweighs the thrill of making the corner, brake.

It may be worth checking the exact error code the ECU is reporting (procedure available on NSXPrime). This will tell you which Oxygen sensor is playing up.

I changed both of mine myself.

Gary

As the codes are available on Prime, it may well be worth picking up an OBD II reader from ebay. I bought one (shipped from China) which works perfectly, including code erase /reset (never had to use it on Y1, touchwood) for £16 incl. shipping.
    2001 3.2 Circuit Blue Coupe with pop-ups!

"If you want to argue that The Best Car in the World is a supercar, go ahead. But there is only one that makes the grade. Only one that's built properly.
    Gordon Murray knows.
    Rowan Atkinson knows.
    It's the Honda NSX."
    (J. Clarkson)

A paper clip broken in half shorts out the service connector perfectly so an ECU code reader isn't really necessary. The artform is counting the flashes and gaps correctly!

Oh, one word of warning - If it is one of the O2 sensors that has failed you might want to buy an aftermarket part for around £30 as opposed to the £400+ that Honda are currently quoting!!! :O
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience. —Dilbert.

6. Default

I would second the aftermarket option. Don't pay Honda prices for such a basic consumable.

Worst case should be £70 from Partco:

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showth...=9249#post9249
    Last edited by NSA; 02-04-2007 at 04:33 PM.

try NTK 24172 (part of NGK in the US) direct replacements from www.sparkplugs.com

i got them, and oem spark plugs send direct, with a huge saving!!!! here's my order placed 26th november! 3 days later they were here!
    they do a 'wire yourself' O2 sensor that's even cheaper, but at that price it wasn't worth the hastle!!

6 - NGK Double Platinum
    Stock Number: 5555
    Part Number: PFR6G-11
    Unit Price: $11.71
    Extended Price: $70.26

2 - NGK OE identical O2 sensor
    Stock Number: 24172
    Part Number: 24172
    Unit Price: $49.85
    Extended Price: $99.70

Subtotal: $169.96
    Discount: $0.00
    Tax: $0.00
    Shipping & Handling: $46.30 (FedEx International Priority)
    Total: $216.26

You effectively buy the sparkplugs at honda prices, get the O2 sensors thrown in free!!!
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Is it time to change the for the 6 platinum sparks? My 'X' s done 58K.

Is that standard at the service so therefore best to provide my own?

SS

Did the paperclip trick assisted by Duncan at the Essex meet. The TCS light flashed out 3_4.=34?? Doesn't exist in the manual??

The engine-check warning light has now been reset ....fingers cross, it hasn't reappeared despite a few miles blasting around the local roads.

SS

10. Default

Handy this thread should pop up today. I did the home made jumper to the ECU cable and got code 41, which is front O2 sensor - Norton Way (who are excellent, no complaints) would have relieved me of a few hundred pounds for new one fitted so I'll be going down the NGK route!

If anyone wants a hand with checking then I'm happy to help, I've got a copy of the full-size NSX workshop manual as supplied to dealers and it lists all the codes so if you've got any code queries feel free to ask.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast