Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Soon to be NSX owner

Default Soon to be NSX owner

I'm soon to be the proud owner of a recently imported 1996 model with just over 59,000km on the clock, approx 36,500m.

I have a few questions and hope that I can get some useful tips and advice on here, a site where I expect I'll spend a fair amount of my web browsing time

Being a tad over 6' when I'm seated in the car my head is the smallest fraction from touching the roof. I've been given the number of a company that modify vehicles for disabled people and should be able to make the kind of changes needed to get me a little more head room.

However, where better to find out if other NSX owners have had to have this carried out and hopefully get some sound advice on how much more head room I might be able to gain. I'd like to keep the standard seat if at all poosible.

The car currently does not carry a front number plate, or a mounting for it to be fitted to. How likely is it that I would get pulled over if I didn't fit a front number plate? It would be nice to keep the front of the car nice and clean. Has anyone else here tried not fitting a front plate when they've brought an NSX as the first owner in this country, if so did you get pulled over and told in no uncertain terms that you must get one fitted?

Roll on three weeks time when the car will be mine ...

I look forward to some helpful advice.

2. Default

Congratulations on your purchase. I take it that you're importing it from Japan so it's RHD?

As for no front number plate you will certainly get pulled if the Police see you, and sooner or later they will. Do not expect them to be impressed about the need to keep the look of the front of the car "clean".

Can't help with the headroom issue.
    Ferrari 550 Maranello in Rosso Corsa
    Kawasaki ZZR 1200
    KTM 400 EXC

Yes, it's RHD, although it was a garage that imported it.

I thought the claim by the salesman about possibly getting away with no plate might have been a bit unlikely, although until recently I was driving around in my current car with no number plate on the front after taking out a pigeon at about 60-65 some while ago (though I did have a spare on the dash while I waited for the mounting to be fixed back on). Maybe I might try leaving a number plate behind the seats and produce it if I get pulled, saying I'm waiting for a mount to arrive and be fitted.

I guess I'll have to have a think and make my mind up on exactly where to mount a plate though ... shame though, a front plate does spoil the lines somewhat ...

Are there mountings that will allow you to easily remove the front plate and the mounting itself, i.e. if you wanted to show the car in the best way, or for photos etc.? If so, has anyone got the details of where I could pick up such a mounting?
    Enjoy it while it lasts ...
    Gone but never forgotten ...
    '96 Black over Red 3.0 Manual JDM import (09/04 to 10/07)
    '06 Grey Audi RS4 Saloon Manual (08/06 to 09/07)
    '90 Lotus Carlton (06/05 to 08/06)
    '77 Spitfire Mk V (06/87 to 09/89)

4. Default

I don't know if you can still get these but you used to be able to buy plates which were on adhesive i.e they were mounted on plastic with a removable covering so that you could fit them on a curved surface. I had one on the front spoiler of my MGB GT V8. This would give you a plate but without the need to fit the mounting bracket.
    Ferrari 550 Maranello in Rosso Corsa
    Kawasaki ZZR 1200
    KTM 400 EXC

5. Default

Paul

check the number plate discussion here in the 6th post in the thread (the thread itself is completely unrelated to number plates!)
    Darren Ferneyhough

http://today.nsedreams.com
    Working with a growing team improving health, wealth & prosperity.
    If you know someone that wants or needs to improve any of these
    areas please connect them with me via my LinkedIn profile above

Cheers Darren

Needless to say, I've sent them an e-mail regarding the possibility of a 3/4 plate ... although I may have it made up and just keep it handy and claim I'm waiting for the mounting bracket ... :-)

Anyone got any suggestions regarding gaining some headrom while retaining the original drivers seat and maintaining it's functionality, i.e. electronic adjustment ... ??

7. Default

Surgery? :lol: I'm just over 6 "1 and I find my car fits me like a glove - its a bit of a squeeze with a helmet on admittedly, but perfect for normal use. I am fairly long in the leg though.

Congrats on your purchase - I've just completed a years ownership of my car and I still love the car as much today as the day I got it, maybe more. The way the car hunkers down through corners; the way the drivetrain is so perfectly balanced; heel 'n' toeing into a 2nd gear left hander; the way it looks. Is there a better all round supercar for the money? I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul
    Anyone got any suggestions regarding gaining some headrom while retaining the original drivers seat and maintaining it's functionality, i.e. electronic adjustment ... ??
    Dali racing do a kit ... Mark emailed me when I was looking to buy an NSX about it (because I was worried I wouldn't be comfortable). Here's the link:

http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/cat....cfm?focus=447

It turned out I don't need it, so I can't vouch for how good it is, and I've never bought anything from Dali so I'm afraid I can't vouch for them either.

Quote Originally Posted by trackdemon
    Surgery? :lol: I'm just over 6 "1 and I find my car fits me like a glove - its a bit of a squeeze with a helmet on admittedly, but perfect for normal use. I am fairly long in the leg though.

Congrats on your purchase - I've just completed a years ownership of my car and I still love the car as much today as the day I got it, maybe more. The way the car hunkers down through corners; the way the drivetrain is so perfectly balanced; heel 'n' toeing into a 2nd gear left hander; the way it looks. Is there a better all round supercar for the money? I think not.
    Maybe when I get my hands on it properly I'll be able to make suitable adjustments to find a nice seating position and not bump my head to often.
    It's so difficult waiting for the day till I can go and pick the car up, just over two weeks, I just want to have it now and take her out for a spin. I must admit to having an aching face as I've been grinning so much at the thought of finally owning a car I wanted for a great many years!
    I don't car if there is a better all round supercar for the money, or a better one for any money. The NSX is number 1 on my list of cars to own before it's too late and the day when that will transpire is not that far away ...

Quote Originally Posted by DamianW
    Dali racing do a kit ... Mark emailed me when I was looking to buy an NSX about it (because I was worried I wouldn't be comfortable). Here's the link:

http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/cat....cfm?focus=447

It turned out I don't need it, so I can't vouch for how good it is, and I've never bought anything from Dali so I'm afraid I can't vouch for them either.
    Cheers for the link Damian, will bear it in mind if I can't find an acceptable driving position. I'm sure there's a user on here who buys gear from Dali Racing, so maybe they can let me know how good they are.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast