Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 02 Conversion???

Default 02 Conversion???

Well as you all know this something that I considered before I even got an NSX. I am considering the pros and cons of doing this to my NSX-R.

One worry is that it might be hard to match the colour, and I would prefer not to have to repaint the whole car.

Then is the choice of NSX-R or regular NSX. The bit that worries me about the NSX-R ( Please take no offence here ) is the bonnets. I can't justify getting a real NSX-R bonnets and although Procar and DF look good, they have not been crash teste, a point brought up recently on Prime.

Any input greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

AR

2. Default

Ary,

I much prefer pop ups to later spec headlights but think that an 02 back would be great.

Bonnet is a tricky one, other than safety issues are there any legal/insurance implications of the bonnet not having been crash tested?

I don't know how much the conversion would cost, nor how much your 3.0 R engine is worth but would you consider the 3.2 NSX R engine and gearbox?

If you decide to go front and back upgrades IMO you should go IOP, The car shouldn't be too badly hit for residuals with before and after pics showing no damage and of course a good excuse (i.e doing front and back and blending anyway) and then she would eb the ultimate keeper.

If you plan to "love her long time" then I guess residuals don't really matter and it would come down to cash vs IOP!!!

Luke
    Last edited by Lankstarr; 23-10-2006 at 06:09 AM.
    1998S 3.2 red/black manual 4 years of great memories
    2004 54 red/red manual

---------------------------------------------------
    Quote autocar Nov 2005

"Before the NSX supercars were crap"

Quote Originally Posted by Lankstarr
    Ary,

I much prefer pop ups to later spec headlights but think that an 02 back would be great.
    ... ... ...
    I have to agree with Luke on those points ... there's just "something" about the pop ups that I like ... also I think the '02 rear gives a much better "finished look" than the pre '02 rear.

Bonnet issue would need serious looking into ... not just from an insurance point of view ... I can't really comment on the bonnet having not seen an '02 type R in the flesh as it were.

Obviously all the above is ... imho ... each to their own at the end of the day.
    Enjoy it while it lasts ...
    Gone but never forgotten ...
    '96 Black over Red 3.0 Manual JDM import (09/04 to 10/07)
    '06 Grey Audi RS4 Saloon Manual (08/06 to 09/07)
    '90 Lotus Carlton (06/05 to 08/06)
    '77 Spitfire Mk V (06/87 to 09/89)

4. Default

I dunno if this helps any opinions to be generated but this is a converted type R :

A pretty good job me thinks

L*
    2004 54 red/red manual

Quote autocar Nov 2005

I dunno if this helps any opinions to be generated but this is a converted type R :

A pretty good job me thinks

L*
    You mean a regular NSX converted to NA2 NSX-R.

It looks nice.

Desicions!

6. Default

I don't know how difficult it is in findinga ll the necessary aprts and ghow long it would take to have them all fitted but would you not be better selling yours and buying a NA2 type R?

Hard to see which would be more hassle but if thre is not a lot in it you would be better with a standard car... like you say though, you know yours is good and it would be a shame to trade up to a NA2 type R only to find out it was a wrongun.

Right about piccy - std 3.0 to NA2 type R

L*
    2004 54 red/red manual

Quote autocar Nov 2005

I don't know how difficult it is in findinga ll the necessary aprts and ghow long it would take to have them all fitted but would you not be better selling yours and buying a NA2 type R?

L*
    Ary's car is worth about 35K.The NA2 type-R is currently for sale and open to offers around the 100K mark.
    For my 2p worth,i would say don't do it.It will most certainly hit the resale value on the car,especially if it were to be part-ex'ed at a dealership.I took my last one(92) to Honda in Cardiff,pretending i wanted to part ex it for a S2K that they had(just wanted to see how the S2K went ).Now mine was a clean UK car with nothing on the HPI. it had had a number of previous owners and the milage was i think about 110K at the time with a full Honda sevice history.Now for the interesting part.I had given my car a colour change,and i had photos of before, during and after to show the car had not been damaged in any way.I was offered 8.5K for it.I just laughed and said no thanks.
    Also,if you decided to do the conversion and not change the colour,would it look right??
    I have never seen a NA2 in green,and we all know that the NA2 type-R only comes in white.
    Ary,i would say keep it as it is.You already have a VERY rare beast,and you could be opening yourself up for a lot of expence and heart ache.

Ivor
    92 brown/blue/gold manual coupe sadly stolen:
    96 Brooklands Green manual T-top.Sadly now sold
    04 Formula Red manual coupe Very sadly sold

8. Default

I didn't realise the NA2 type R was back up for sale.. I think it is worth 55-65 region notyhing more.

But then again I don't know what they go for in Japan.

If the dealer offered you 8.5k they were probably thinking it was worth 14 or so... if they wanted to trade it then 8.5k would cover their backs every day of the week!

L*
    2004 54 red/red manual

Quote autocar Nov 2005

I didn't realise the NA2 type R was back up for sale.. I think it is worth 55-65 region notyhing more.

But then again I don't know what they go for in Japan.

If the dealer offered you 8.5k they were probably thinking it was worth 14 or so... if they wanted to trade it then 8.5k would cover their backs every day of the week!

L*
    I'm not sure if it's back up for sale or not.I was under the impression that it just never sold in the first place at 99K.
    I totally agree with what you are saying about the dealer.He was looking to make a nice big mark up,and cover the cost of an expensive warranty.
    92 brown/blue/gold manual coupe sadly stolen:
    96 Brooklands Green manual T-top.Sadly now sold
    04 Formula Red manual coupe Very sadly sold

Where to start on this one??

Firstly, as said above, you have a very rare and genuine car with IMO a lot of its value being the very fact that it is a genuine NSX-R. There may be 1 or 2 others around but as we all know from the one in Scotland, their history may be questionable.

If the NSX-R was mine, I would only consider 02+ modifications that are fully reversible to return to its original condition should the day come to part company (or you could at least offer as an original or modified depending if new owner likes the mods)

On Prime there are several threads about 02+ conversions using DF or Procar parts. The 'average' parts price seems to be around $8k for a properly converted car.

Personally I'm not a fan of the 02+ lights, preferring as many do the original pop-ups. However, I really do approve of the rear and side upgrades as IMO they modernise and clean up the overal profile of the NSX and are bolt on/off exchange items.

What might be of interest to some here is that I'm currently in discussions with a couple of guys in the US for an 02+ upgrade that retains the pop-ups and is fully reversible (for the reasons mentioned above).

So in summary Ary, I wouldn't do anything to your NSX-R that you cant return back to current, but at the end of the day, its your car and your decision.

I would certainly be interested to know the outcome of the insurance/crash test debate. Isnt the original NA2 Type R a CF bonnet? Isnt the Procar a direct moulding replica so surely the same construction/strength?

HTH, Regards

Paul
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast