Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: 30th September 2006 Rolling Road Day

Noel,

I see what you mean, I think I took your data and plotted torque between 3K and 8K revs in each gear graph. Torque is on the y axis and speed is on the x axis. See pic...

Now I've confused myself.

Reading off the speeds at where torque in the lower gear is exceeded by torque in the higher gear does this, contrary to my earlier statement, prove that you don't have to change gear at the limiter for max acceleration? If not what the hell have I done?

The crossovers occur at the following speeds and revs 43mph (7,489rpm), 66mph (7,135rpm), 89mph (6,980rpm), 122mph (7,507rpm), 139mph (6,950rpm)

Confused but intriegued

Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TorquePlot.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	2982  

That's what the graph says. So assuming you've calculated right, and graphed accurately it's what you say. You've proved yourself wrong!

It's probably worse in other that don't have the good torque curve of a Honda VTEC.
    If your fear of staying alive, outweighs the thrill of making the corner, brake.

Hah, yes done in by myself

I'll wait for Noel to comment as I used his data, spreadsheet and graph. I just input his torque (at the wheels) results into the graph and changed the x axis scale and titles.

I'll be amazed if this, that you can change up this early and still have more torque hitting the road, is true. It must be very unusual!

Please someone prove me wrong, I don't want to have to start changing up early and miss out on upto 1,300rpm's worth of VTEC nirvana so that I can go faster

Mark

If I am reading that right you need to change up to 6th at 140mph on a vmax run ??
    ****1997 3.2 Orange / Black SOLD****

Previously driven by.........

Jeremy Clarkson, Tim Harvey, Richard Burns (RIP), Jason Plato, Harvey Postlethwaite (RIP), Manfred Wollgarten, Dirk Schoysman, Barrie Williams.

Nurburgring lap time 8:38 - Honda NSX (sport auto, 08/97)

Yes Simon, that's what my graph says... I NEED someone to look at the data and prove it wrong!

Mark

I'll see if I have some time

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    Yes Simon, that's what my graph says... I NEED someone to look at the data and prove it wrong!

Mark
    ****1997 3.2 Orange / Black SOLD****

Previously driven by.........

Jeremy Clarkson, Tim Harvey, Richard Burns (RIP), Jason Plato, Harvey Postlethwaite (RIP), Manfred Wollgarten, Dirk Schoysman, Barrie Williams.

Nurburgring lap time 8:38 - Honda NSX (sport auto, 08/97)

Hopefully we can test it out, by doing a run for one car at TDi, once in 2nd gear and one in 3rd.

Hah, yes done in by myself

I'll wait for Noel to comment as I used his data, spreadsheet and graph. I just input his torque (at the wheels) results into the graph and changed the x axis scale and titles.

I'll be amazed if this, that you can change up this early and still have more torque hitting the road, is true. It must be very unusual!

Please someone prove me wrong, I don't want to have to start changing up early and miss out on upto 1,300rpm's worth of VTEC nirvana so that I can go faster

Mark
    If your fear of staying alive, outweighs the thrill of making the corner, brake.

Noel,

I see what you mean, I think I took your data and plotted torque between 3K and 8K revs in each gear graph. Torque is on the y axis and speed is on the x axis. See pic...

Now I've confused myself.

Reading off the speeds at where torque in the lower gear is exceeded by torque in the higher gear does this, contrary to my earlier statement, prove that you don't have to change gear at the limiter for max acceleration? If not what the hell have I done?

The crossovers occur at the following speeds and revs 43mph (7,489rpm), 66mph (7,135rpm), 89mph (6,980rpm), 122mph (7,507rpm), 139mph (6,950rpm)

Confused but intriegued

Mark

Mark,

Maybe using the term "torque at the wheels" is a bit misleading, because this will be a function of gearing. This site explains it better than I can - the lower the gear, the greater the torque multiplication.

http://www.mustangsandmore.com/ubb/D...orqueVsHP.html

I did all this in my Engineering degree donkies ago, forgotten most of it, but am pretty certain that a graph of torque at the wheels without taking into account gearing is misleading.

We still need to what out what the rev limit is!!
    Last edited by NoelWatson; 30-11-2007 at 09:56 AM.

Just to bring back this old thread....again

I've been doing a little reading.

Fact 1. The BHP figure and ft/lb figure are numerically the same at 5253rpm. This is due to the way BHP is calculated from torque. So on a graph, BHP and TQ always cross over at 5253. If they don't suspect something.

Fact 2. HP = TQ * RPM / 5253.5

I've been playing with a calculator, and seems some of the figures below don't add up.

So at 6500RPM, the HP should be 277, given the TQ number. However at
    7000rpm the HP is 290.

With the competitive nature of some people here, those 1 or 2 hp here and there make all the difference.

I realise the figures came from the graph so errors will creep in, next time, we need hard figures not graphic printouts.

Every little helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Senninha View Post
    My figures for S2 from the graph are;

RPM BHP lb/ft
    1500 42 140
    2000 76 176
    2500 93 192
    3000 118 201
    3500 140 210
    4000 165 212
    4500 184 214
    5000 204 212
    5500 232 222
    6000 254 222
    6500 283 224
    7000 286 218
    7500 na na

I've been obsessing about this and with the help of Noel and Kevin now understand why the torque vs speed graph I plotted is utter bo!!ocks Essentially it makes no allowance for gearing ie torque multplication.

So, I made a statement (that you ALWAYS have to shift at the limiter for max acceleration), then apparently proved myself wrong (with said graph), then disagreed with myself, and finally I've proved myself to have been right in the first place! Schizophrenic or wot

Anyway... Kevin built a spreadsheet which properly allowed calculations and graphs of torque vs speed to be plotted. I have added a number of variations of NSX model years and gearing options, including tyres to illustrate the effect. I used the power and torque outputs from Kevin's car in all instances. (attached zip file)

Graphs of the two extremes, a bone stock 1991 car on rear 225/50/16's and a Short geared, 4.44:1 diff car on 245/45x17's are pictured below.

Please feel free to comment on correct any faults you find in the spreadsheet.

One exercise I want to do with this info and these graphs is to calculate the area under each curve (total torque) and the aggregate of this for each sample car/gearing/tyre combination.

I do know I need to get out more....

Cheers

Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TorquPlotB.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	3021   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TorquePlotA.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	3022   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TorquePlotC.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	3027  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by markc; 07-12-2007 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Zip file attachment didn't upload

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast