Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: 30th September 2006 Rolling Road Day

Kevin, I've added the 3.0ltr with 6spd 'box graph to my earlier post for anyone who can't get to the spreadsheet.

I can't see why a RR wouldn't measure revs, it's soo easy why wouldn't you?

It could of course be done by microphone (knowing the number of cylinders, revs can be calculated from the pitch) or maybe even by exhaust pulses with the probe they put in the exhaust, SRR must do this??

I read up about the Dyno Dynamics machine on their website but it doesn't go into if or how it captures revs... http://www.dyno.com.au/dyno/controller

I pass SRR everyday on the way to work and dropped in on an open day they did in conjunction with Pistonheads earlier this year, but you can't drive right into the Qinetic site where they're based without going through main gate security so it's a bit of a fuss.

I'd love to do a dyno run with you one evening Where are you based? (PM if you'd rather)

Cheers

Mark
    Last edited by markc; 07-12-2007 at 09:45 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by NoelWatson View Post
    Not sure why it would damage the engine any more than on the open road?
    Cooling issues maybe? Your car will possibly run hotter on the RR due to the fact that normal air cooling is substituted by a big fan pointed just at your radiator.

I worked briefly at a RR centre many moons ago, saw a few engines let go on the rollers. But hopefully the technology has moved on from then.

The revs on the machine I saw back then were gained as Markc said, with a sensor wire coming from a plug lead and entry of the number of cylinders.
    Last edited by NSXGB; 07-12-2007 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    Kevin, I've added the 3.0ltr with 6spd 'box graph to my earlier post for anyone who can't get to the spreadsheet.

I can't see why a RR wouldn't measure revs, it's soo easy why wouldn't you?

It could of course be done by microphone (knowing the number of cylinders, revs can be calculated from the pitch) or maybe even by exhaust pulses with the probe they put in the exhaust, SRR must do this??

I read up about the Dyno Dynamics machine on their website but it doesn't go into if or how it captures revs... http://www.dyno.com.au/dyno/controller

I pass SRR everyday on the way to work and dropped in on an open day they did in conjunction with Pistonheads earlier this year, but you can't drive right into the Qinetic site where they're based without going through main gate security so it's a bit of a fuss.

I'd love to do a dyno run with you one evening Where are you based? (PM if you'd rather)

Cheers

Mark
    Mark,

I'm in Weybridge - probably 20 minutes away. I'll have a word with Charlie next week and see what he has free in the next few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    Hi Noel,

Just got around to to looking at your power/gearing spreadsheet and graph. Interesting stuff.

Would you mind plotting a torque/gearing graph when you get some time?

The power/gear plot suggests it but one thing that the torque/gearing plot would certainly do is prove to any doubters, and there are always a few, that you MUST change up at the limiter if you want absolute maximum acceleration.

On the other thread you said that you were recording 160mph on the rev limiter at Bruntingthorpe? If so we may have the gearing figures slightly wrong. The table you refer to in the spreadsheet and I usually use from NSXPrime says 160mph at 8000rpm meaning we should be able to do 166mph at the 8300rpm limiter.

It's all somewhat acedemic but the pedant in me (oo-err Mrs) likes to know these things correctly :-)

Cheers

Mark
    Interesting that they encourage shifting before redline

http://world.honda.com/NSX/technology/t6.html

The shift indicator uses green and red lights which flash then light up to indicate the power peak and rev limit, respectively, promoting more precise up-shifting and a more exhilarating driving experience. Standard power peak is 7,100rpm and standard rev limit 7,700rpm, with each light set to flash and then light up as the standard value is reached. The standard rev limit for first and second gears, however, is set 200rpm lower.

Quote Originally Posted by NoelWatson View Post
    Interesting that they encourage shifting before redline

http://world.honda.com/NSX/technology/t6.html

The shift indicator uses green and red lights which flash then light up to indicate the power peak and rev limit, respectively, promoting more precise up-shifting and a more exhilarating driving experience. Standard power peak is 7,100rpm and standard rev limit 7,700rpm, with each light set to flash and then light up as the standard value is reached. The standard rev limit for first and second gears, however, is set 200rpm lower.
    These are the optimum shifting revs for the NSX-R though which has different gearing.If you changed gear that low in the revs in an NA1 you would be out of the V-Tech zone of the next gear (i think )
    92 brown/blue/gold manual coupe sadly stolen:
    96 Brooklands Green manual T-top.Sadly now sold
    04 Formula Red manual coupe Very sadly sold

Does anyone have copies of the videos from this event? If yes, can you repost please?
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213