Thread: Using Jump Start terminals for trickle charger?

Default Using Jump Start terminals for trickle charger?

My car has an alarm/immobiliser and therefore has some drain. And it's not a daily driver. So - to make sure the battery's not flat when I do want to go out - I want to use a trickle charger. The workshop manual kindly explains where the 'jump start' terminals are in the engine bay.

I'm hoping I can use these, which are far more convenient, instead of trying to get to and from the battery itself whenever I want to drive/park the car.

Anyone doing this already?

I had my garage instal the eyelet lead and connector which came with my CTEK battery charger/maintainer on the battery + & - leads so that all I have to do is lift the bonnet, unclip the CTEK connector extension lead before driving the car, and the reverse when I park up in the garage. The connector is positioned above the battery towards the front firewall and has a rubber waterproof / dust cover.
    https://www.ctek.com/uk/battery-char...nect-eyelet-m6
    Takes 30 seconds before driving, and a whole minute when plugging back in, in the garage.
    December '99 GH-NA2 110 series - 6AS62 Type S in Monte Carlo Blue Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by NZNick View Post
    I had my garage instal the eyelet lead and connector which came with my CTEK battery charger/maintainer on the battery + & - leads so that all I have to do is lift the bonnet, unclip the CTEK connector extension lead before driving the car, and the reverse when I park up in the garage. The connector is positioned above the battery towards the front firewall and has a rubber waterproof / dust cover.
    https://www.ctek.com/uk/battery-char...nect-eyelet-m6
    Takes 30 seconds before driving, and a whole minute when plugging back in, in the garage.
    Perfect - that'd work for me. So I've just ordered a CTEK to replace the bulky Ring charger I've been using until now.

Thanks!

For those in the cheap seats, CTEK sell an extension cable with a male plug at one end and a females socket at the other. If this is cut in half the cut ends can be grafted onto anyone else’s smart charger.
    I have an older CTEK at one end of the garage and an adapted Lidl’s finest smart charger at the other end of the garage.

5. Default

There's also a magnetic breakaway connector that you can purchase for the CTEK. So if you drive away and forgot to disconnect the tender cable, this mag connector simply falls away. Finding a good place to mount the mag connector is the tricky part, I started looking but never got around to it on the NSX, and then switched to an Anti-Gravity lithium-ion battery with ReStart so no longer needed the tender. But here it is on my Lotus, just so you get the idea of what it does, it's held to the rear license plate screws with a 3D printed holder, as the battery in in the boot directly behind the taillight. You can purchase the whole kit here (Lotus parts site): https://hethelsport.com/tools/charger-connection-kit/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Battery Tender Mag Connector 0.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	14924

Name:	Battery Tender Mag Connector 3.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	14925

Name:	Battery Tender Mag Connector 4.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	14926
    Last edited by FlopShot; 19-04-2024 at 07:46 PM. Reason: more info

Thanks FS. I've got a CTEK on order and will see how I run the cables when it arrives. I think I'll have to try some type of aide memoire to remind me of the charger being attached. Worse case is leaving the bonnet propped open. That magnetic thingy is a nice idea though - Plan B.

Blog Entries

For your inspiration....

For the GND (yellow), I used the bolt (green) at the welded bracket (light blue).

With the multimeter, the mating thread at the bracket was reading very good GND level.

For the positive terminal, I thought for a moment as it could be misleading.
    But going to show my setup as the reference only.
    Please do your own risk management.

The CTEK cable doesn’t have its own fuse block but at very short length.

My MXS 5.0 is rated at 5A max.

The block (pal) fuse in the photo is slow blowing type and only available in large amperage.

Couldn’t find adaptor that can accommodate fast blown blade type like 7.5A.

Based on the above and with some risk management, I selected this 40A (rear defogger) position that first goes through the 120A one.
    I carry all sorts of spare fuse including these block type on my NSX.
    I can live without the rear defogger under emergency condition.
    Other fuses could prevent you from driving.
    Having said this, by the time 40A fuse is blown, I would say the CTEK wire would be fried and melted.
    After all, it’s slow blown type so most likely, won’t be able to drive anyway and thus, please do your own risk management.
    The fuse box arragement would be different depending on the spec and year model as well.

For the 'self reminder', I always keep glove in the glove box and whenever I have to connect the battery conditioner, I place it over the shift knob.

I also use notice board hanging from the rear view mirror if there is something to be warned/remembered in case someone else enters the car.

These days, if you attend some of the car events, you get ‘hang at the mirror’ ticket instead of ‘stick to the windshield’ so plenty spares.

Kaz

Perfect Kaz. Wow.

Thanks for such a detailed explanation. I will follow your example as Plan A.

And I will buy an extra glove.