Thread: NSX T suspension

Default NSX T suspension

Can anybody recommend a suspension upgrade for an T type? Type s suspension? Type R front or rear sway bar? Type s front or rear sway bar. Ive read quite a bit about people swapping out their suspension but usually for the coupes. Any advice would be appreciated as Ive read the suspension was deliberately made softer on the T type but still feels very firm to my sorry old back. Mine is a 2001 T manual if it makes any difference? Thanks in advance.

I quite liked the type-S suspension with the type-R front anti roll bar + type S rear anti roll bar on a targa. It made the car feel sharper and pointier. It reduced body roll considerably. But obviously you pay in ride comfort. So if you find the standard suspension to be firm. You might be better off trying the roll bars before you change the shock absorbers.
    I know some of the guys in the club use the bilstein set-up and really like it. It’s certainly great value and reliable. You can also tune ride height.
    If you have a larger budget, I have heard great things about the Ohlins set-up. There is an American company that sell it. Not sure whether it’s available in the UK.
    I guess it depends on what elements you are looking for and how much you want to spend.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Papalazarou; 03-03-2024 at 10:02 AM.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!

Default Type S suspension

Thanks for that, id like to stay as close to oem as possible, not really interested in lowering the car or make any any major changes but like you said a bit sharper and more responsive would be nice, id like it to feel more solid and planted if that makes sense and yes the type s suspension seems to be everyone favourite at least over in the states.

Hi UncleBob,

I have a 98 NSX-T. After a few years of ownership I wanted to sharpen up the handling a little. Following discussion with a couple of tuning places and our very own Kaz, I opted for the NSX-R front chassis bars and anti-roll bar, and for the rear I swapped out the anti-roll bar for the Type-S version. The result was a sharper, more responsive front end but without over stiffening the rear I retained good balance and traction. I had also swapped to Yokohama tyres.

Circa maybe 5 years ago and with the NSX having passed its 20th birthday, as a preventative action I opted to replace the shocks. Having run with Bilsteins on several previous cars, and not being a fan of the Tein products (they rust far too quickly for my liking), I replaced the OEM with Bilsteins, retained OEM springs and installed new top hats. There are two ride height options and I opted for the lower which now gives my NSX-T a nice stance with the OEM 17” alloys filling the arches nicely but with no rubbing or rebound issues.

The combination of updated shocks, anti-roll bars and the stiffening braces really work for me. Hope this helps, rgds Paul
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Default suspension mods

Thanks very much for that Senninha, yes Papa also suggested that so i will definitely get those two bars, Im also considering the type r front brace and lower front brace as suggested by some of our cousins over the pond.

Has anyone in the uk also done this mod?

Quote Originally Posted by unclebob View Post
    “Im also considering the type r front brace and lower front brace”

Has anyone in the uk also done this mod?
    Yep, these are the chassis bars I refer to above
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

I have the upper & lower 'R' braces, front 'R' roll bar, rear 'S' roll bar and front strut brace. They certainly firm up the front end! The KWV3 coil overs complete my setup, which I'm happy with.

I had the full Type S suspension setup before, which was excellent out of the box but I thought a little harsh for the UK roads. The KWV3's are adjustable and give me a softer ride, with the added ability to refine the ride height. Cosmetically, theType S suspension does look a little high for my taste.

Default suspensions mods

Thanks for all the advice, it does help with making decisions. I suppose amayama is the place to buy these items unless anyone can recommend any other place?

yes of course you did i completely missed that info!