Thread: Removing brake hard lines against firewall

1. Default Removing brake hard lines against firewall

So I searched the tech forum, honest I did, but didn't find a clear answer on exactly how to remove the brake hard lines that run along the firewall. I'm pulling out the old ABS from my 1993 JDM to do the 2000+ ABS upgrade. The brackets holding the 3 brake lines and the clutch pipe (?) against the firewall on a RHD car are very different from USDM LHD model. I couldn't figure out how to remove them and didn't want to take a chance on breaking anything. Came on here and I found an old pic from Kaz showing how much to bend the brackets upwards, so now that makes sense. But what about the bushings that the pipes are running thru, how do those come off? My upgrade kit did not include replacements so I don't want to destroy them so I can re-use them. I know this is probably a stupid question but I couldn't find the answer in any old post. Thanks.

Edgar

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7519_low.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	14903

Blog Entries

Hope you can see the tiny slit in this photo….
    I only highlighted one of them.

You will have 5 slits in total on the rubber block with only 4 places occupied with AT.

At each channel/slot for the pipe, there is a slit along the entire channel allowing the pipe to slide into that black rubber block.

If you can clean the side of the rubber block on your NSX, you may be able to see some of the slits.

After the installation, please check that none of the pipes are touching any part of the body work for the entire length of the pipe.

You won’t notice it immediately but after few months or years later, with the vibration, the pipe could get punctured.
    Already seen few examples.

Kaz

3. Default

Thank you so much for the reply! So I probably would have noticed this after I remove the bracket, but I wasn't even sure how to do that until I saw your other post. Thanks as always for all the knowledge and insight!

Edgar
    Can i ask where you got your upgrade kit from?

Jim

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by FlopShot View Post
    Thank you so much for the reply! So I probably would have noticed this after I remove the bracket, but I wasn't even sure how to do that until I saw your other post. Thanks as always for all the knowledge and insight!
    Welcome to NSXCB - any photos of the car? Where are you based? - Yes I am nosey!
    Mike

6. Default

I bought one of the last 2000+ upgrade kits recently made available by Mita Motorsports right before Christmas. They somehow acquired a few 2000+ modulators and were selling both LHD and RHD kits for under $2000 USD, as well as NSX-R ABS kits, but are sold out again.
    https://www.mitamotorsports.com/prod...s-upgrade-kit/

Mita still has the S2K upgrade kits, I actually bought this S2K kit and was going to install it since the 2000+ modulators were unobtanium, but then Mita found those 2000+ modulators right before I was about to start he project. So I have a full RHD S2K ABS upgrade kit for sale but it's in the USA so shipping could be expensive (although likely comparable to shipping from Japan)

SOS in the USA had two 2000+ upgrade kits for sale but they were asking like $5600 USD each and both were LHD, but I don't see them listed on their website anymore.
    Last edited by FlopShot; 23-02-2024 at 09:45 PM.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by sorepaws View Post
    Welcome to NSXCB - any photos of the car? Where are you based? - Yes I am nosey!
    South Carolina, USA.

Name:	IMG_0343_low.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	150.7 KB 
ID:	14904
    Last edited by FlopShot; 23-02-2024 at 09:46 PM.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by FlopShot View Post
    South Carolina, USA.

Name:	IMG_0343_low.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	150.7 KB 
ID:	14904
    Sweet, good luck with the conversion you won't regret it
    Mike

9. Default

So I completed the 2000+ ABS conversion this weekend, and only had two screws leftover! LOL :-) But those two screws are the ones that are supposed to hold the brackets that are the subject of this thread. When I bent the brackets to remove the bushing and old hard lines, I guess it bent the backside of the bracket so badly that it was no longer flat, and was more like an S shape pitched forward, which means when I tried to reinstall the bracket and bend it back over the bushing, I could not get the holes to line up, as the top half was too far forward. And then I couldn't access the bottom hole to at least screw that into place (although I realize now I should have bent the top half back up, screwed in the bottom half, then bent the top half back into semi-place, oops. But I ran the harness in front of those brake lines, and then the blower is holding everything in place, so hopefully all will be OK. Mita should definitely include two replacement brackets in their kit, I'm going to order them from Amayama but will have to take apart the entire frunk again in order to access those brackets. :-( I've already warned my RHD friends here in the U.S. that are about to start their ABS conversion.