Thread: Cabin temp sensor / aspirator fan

Default Cabin temp sensor / aspirator fan

2 months with my 91 car and working through some issues, Intermitent radio died so took it out, found 2 leaking capacitors, had them replaced local but still not working. While taking the radio out, I thought I would clean out the cabin temp sensor as temperature control was very poor, but found no dust and no aspirator fan! While looking for a replacement (£120 from Japan) found a Land Rover part that looked the same, so bought one off eBay for £10. Connector is the same but wires going to different pins, so pins swapped out and all worked and abit of silicon grease silenced the fan. Now back to the radio... i cannot find a fuse diagram/key for the fuses LH footwell?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2B617FA6-0B9D-4AC5-8A8B-FDF91A2BDDD7.jpeg 
Views:	114 
Size:	344.2 KB 
ID:	14882  

That's a great find, do you mind sharing the part number? I can only assume it was removed as the last person was sick of it rattling! I disassembled, de-gunked and lubed the end of the shaft with silicone grease also which fixed it.

Try Kaz for the servicing of electronics. He's done my radio, gague cluster and climate control. All pre-emptive maintenance as they'll all fail sooner or later.
    2001 NSX-T Manual in Imola Orange Pearl
    1994 Honda VFR400R NC30 in Castrol Colours

It was a Land Rover Discovery 2 ambient temperature sensor 173000-0741 (Denso part)

Blog Entries

If using the sensor from another make/model, please check the thermistor characteristic against the NSX one.
    It’s in the workshop manual but should be around 6K ohm at 20degC.
    You could be miles away from the actual cabin temperature data.

If disconnected, CCU will use 25degC as the failsafe value to calculate the target blower exit temperature.

Kaz

Details on the 'dash fuse box'

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dash fuse box 1.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	14883

Name:	dash fuse box 2.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	14884

Name:	dash fuse box 3.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	14885

Click on the image and enlarge in order to read the details

Kaz
    the service manual I have says 2k ohms on page 22-16, am I looking at the wrong page?

James

Kaz
    as ever you are right, should be around 6K ohm at 20degC, my Land Rover part is 2.9k ohm at 10 C , so is not suitable, more annoying is I threw away the original sensor I removed as the aspirator fan was missing and the cage was damaged. So looks like I need to buy one, unless anybody has a spare ?

I have a spare one I don't need Jim, shoot me an offer via PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Kaz
    the service manual I have says 2k ohms on page 22-16, am I looking at the wrong page?

James
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Kaz
    as ever you are right, should be around 6K ohm at 20degC, my Land Rover part is 2.9k ohm at 10 C , so is not suitable, more annoying is I threw away the original sensor I removed as the aspirator fan was missing and the cage was damaged. So looks like I need to buy one, unless anybody has a spare ?
    Hi, James.
    Just following up your post as I was away for awhile.

Most likely the workshop manual that you were referring to was the one with several missing scan and someone added/modified the text.
    If you look at the very page no. 22-16 at the left bottom corner, the [ 1 ] is more like [ l ] compared to other pages.

Thus, the contents were edited including the specific resistance value.

Not the end of the world.

Just jump to page 22-87 of the same manual.

There, you’ll see the sensor characteristic graph.

At 3K ohm, you are more like 35degC….

Unless you have already refreshed the entire A/C system, most likely, you would be using the CCU in manual mode and not in Full Auto.

If that is the case, you could disconnect the cabin temperature sensor.

Strictly speaking, it's much more involved but if you disconnect it, CCU will assume that the cabin temperature is at 25degC all the time and you can just use the temperature and fan speed dial to adjust the cabin temperature to your needs with the assistance from the vent/flap mode/position.

Kaz