Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wheel offset question

If you're in Lossiemouth Jim, you are WAY north. It's normally hard to explain how north Newcastle is...3 hour drive DOWN to Manchester��, but you're about 4-5 hours north of me.

I kept popping across to the NSX's, but needed to be on our stand GTRDC and after Sunday's wine tasting didn't get across to see sorepaws and Kaz!

Blog Entries

For the 'looks', you really need to first decide on the exact tyre and then study the detailed spec.

Same tyre size such as 215/40/17 doesn’t mean the actual installed dimension among all tyre manufactures/models are the same.
    You will see significant difference in appearance depending on the tyre make/model.

Also not sure you are aware of this but there is tiny offset between the R & L wing position against the centre line of the chassis.
    You may not notice it with the OEM wheels but once you go for the aftermarket ones, you will see one side sticking out further than the other side.
    So be aware if you are aiming for the 'hellaflush' looks.

Regarding the spacer, as long as it's from the well-known brand such as H&R, should be fine.
    You may need longer wheel stud bolt.

Personally, for the offset, I won’t go anything beyond 40.
    Otherwise, depending on how you setup the car, you will experience noticeable instability under hard braking, etc

Kaz

Thanks Kaz

I know the exact sizes and offsets I want/can get, but everything I'd read on here and NSXPrime** indicated 17x7.5 et35-42 for the front.

My option is 17x8 et35 or et 47. et35 will push the wheel out 39mm which is too much, based on info from sorepaws who indicated the arch had approx 32mm gap left to fill on standard. As a result ! was going to opt for et47 (moderate 27mm fill). Of course that puts me 11mm closer to the suspension strut, so if I have to I'd use 5mm spacers.

You mention not going above 40 - can I ask why that would impact braking stability, if it's no closer to caliper than standard wheels...or it more to do with balance of wheel "weight"?

Would you agree with my conclusions based on the comments above or do you think et35 would work?

Tyre wise it would be 225/40 to preserve rolling circumfrance.

**https://www.nsxprime.com/threads/whe...or-nsx.143941/
    Last edited by Ian_S; 16-09-2023 at 05:44 AM.

Sorry, just realised I have a potentially better option, but didn't check as it was only 1/2" wider...would a better option be 17 x 7 et38?

Moderate 23mm poke out and under your 40 offset suggestion.

and I can stick to the more "normal" 215 tyre size?
    Last edited by Ian_S; 16-09-2023 at 05:53 AM.

What wheels have you decided to get?

Cheers.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!

I'm looking at Work Emotion ZR10

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_S View Post
    I'm looking at Work Emotion ZR10
    They are really nice wheels. Not many seem to suit these cars. Personally I like OE wheels with a few exceptions. I also like the original offsets.
    The American market seem to love massive wheels with flush fit. They can look good, but obviously destroys the original dynamics. It’s also a world of hell with no PAS.
    I think there are some great repro options now. The mita type S wheels look good. As do their seven spoke and facelift. They are also well priced.
    Volks always seem popular. The TE37’s have always been incredibly popular and you can kind of see why. The CE28N’s are also nice.
    However, with the ever increasing prices of these cars, OE has become the baseline in many camps.
    Funny to think that a set of fat fives were £300 a set 10-15 years ago. Even a set of 94-01 wheels were £400-600 for a non-refurbed set.
    In hindsight I wish I’d bought them all up, as well as the all the OE radios that people were junking for terribly executed double din units. You know who you are with your hacked, badly fitting centre consoles and your checkered floor mats ������
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!

The idea is to keep the OEM, get them refurbished if necessary and keep them in case I ever sell the car.

The ZR10 will hopefully look acceptable, not too blingy and if I opt for slightly smaller widths, keep the balance and handling acceptable on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_S View Post
    If you're in Lossiemouth Jim, you are WAY north. It's normally hard to explain how north Newcastle is...3 hour drive DOWN to Manchester��, but you're about 4-5 hours north of me.

I kept popping across to the NSX's, but needed to be on our stand GTRDC and after Sunday's wine tasting didn't get across to see sorepaws and Kaz!
    Hi Ian,

yeah Lossiemouth is a bit extreme north, however, my car in in Edinburgh, so not quite as bad.

Cheers
    Jim
    1992 NSX, 3.0 Manual, (Was Sebring Silver) Now Kaiser Silver

2018 Jaguar XE, 2.0 R-Sport 250, Loire Blue.

2013 Kawazaki ER6F, Metalic Green.

Hi Ian_S,

And welcome to the UK Forum …. A friendly bunch of owners, some you’ve already met virtually above … and many have an extraordinary hands-on knowledge of these wonderful cars.

You say your NSX is in transit and I think you said all OEM in terms of chassis/wheels/tyres. Therefore, it sounds as though you are changing purely for cosmetic reasons. From reading your posts it seems like this is a considered purchase with long term ownership in mind, which often turns out to be the case with the NSX.

Simply a suggestion for consideration. As your NSX will arrive stock, why not drive it stock for a few miles and discover what you do/dont like. For example, you may want more braking. This could be a change to later OEM calipers that will need a change of wheels, or aftermarket options that may determine a min 17” wheel all round. Suspension unless refreshed is going to be 32 years old. Whilst all may be well, you may wish to refresh and by doing so, look to change the ride hieght. This could also impact size/style of wheel.

The simply point is that I’ve seen many make changes before understanding their car and the changes they need or would like to make. Should you find yourself wanting to make other changes, you could possible need to change wheels again which could be an expensive change.

Whatever you do with your NSX, be sure to drive it and put many smiles into the NSX memory banks … rgds, Paul
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast