Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wheel offset question

Default Wheel offset question

Hi everyone...new owner here, so don't tear into me for this one, I know there is a lot of info out there...

I've spent a few hours trawling throgh the various posts on here and NSXPrime and can see most of the answer, but really need some input before I push the button to buy some wheels.

I have a 91 NA1 NSX with stock suspension/ride height and am looking to fit some aftermarket wheels. Rears are fine, but the fronts come in 2 options:

17 x 8 et35
    17 x 8 et47
    I'd be fitting 215/40 tyres

From what I've read. et35 is the limit for rubbing and legal "flush fit" and et47 would probably benefit from 5mm spacers. However, can anyone tell me if there is a preferred option to avoid rubbing or best fitment. I'd rather not fit spacers but don;t want to risk rubbing/MOT issues if et35 is too close to limit?

2. Default

I have used an offset visualiser before to compare different wheel sizes - have a look at this link and punch in the various dimensions you're playing with:

https://www.willtheyfit.com/

My NSX is currently for sale, and depending on the new owner's preferences I might wind up with a spare set of aftermarket wheels for sale that may interest you - in any case, there are some visual references for my NSX on aftermarket wheels at the link below:

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.ph...NSX-T-For-Sale

My wheel sizes are:

Front 17x7.5 ET38
    Rear 18x9 ET42

I think I'd agree that 35 is pretty much the limit - my ET38s are about at the limit of what the front arches can cope with.

I seem to recall from my own time looking at wheels & spacers on Prime that front wheel spacers above a certain size require longer wheel studs, for which you have to remove the wheel hub from the upright. Fact-check that, but it might be something to look out for

stock '91 15 inch 6.5Jx15 ET55, the et35 rims have the inside rim 1mm different from the stock plane, so ALL the extra width is outboard so the outside rim 'face' will be 1.5 inches further out from what you have at the moment

the ET47 rims move the hub mounting face 14 mm further outboard on the wheel, so the rims both move inward 14mm, so the outer rim edge is just under an inch further out than stock...

8x17 et 35 will stick out 1.5 inches from what you already have,

8x17 et 47 will stick out about an inch further than stock

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/honda/nsx/1991/

https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?width=205&aspect=50&diameter=15&wheelwid th=6.5&offset=55&width2=215&aspect2=40&wheel_size= 17&wheel_width=8&offset2=35

https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.ph...h=8&offset2=47
    Last edited by britlude; 04-09-2023 at 05:55 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Quote Originally Posted by RedCarsGoFaster View Post

My wheel sizes are:

Front 17x7.5 ET38
    Rear 18x9 ET42

I think I'd agree that 35 is pretty much the limit - my ET38s are about at the limit of what the front arches can cope with.
    and thats with a 7.5 wide,..... OP is talking 8" on the front, another 1/2 inch on each side....
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Quote Originally Posted by britlude View Post
    stock '91 15 inch 6.5Jx15 ET55, the et35 rims have the inside rim 1mm different from the stock plane, so ALL the extra width is outboard so the outside rim 'face' will be 1.5 inches further out from what you have at the moment

the ET47 rims move the hub mounting face 14 mm further outboard on the wheel, so the rims both move inward 14mm, so the outer rim edge is just under an inch further out than stock...

8x17 et 35 will stick out 1.5 inches from what you already have,

8x17 et 47 will stick out about an inch further than stock

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/honda/nsx/1991/

reposted below
    Last edited by Ian_S; 05-09-2023 at 10:45 AM.

Sorry all, just realised my calcultions were confused by a decimal point on my reply!! Schoolboy error.

I should have explained , the car is on route from Japan and I'm looking to have new wheels with uk legal tyres awaiting arrival.
    I'm confident the rolling diameter etc is all within acceptable tolerance, but I'm unsighted as to how much gap is available from standard wheel to arch outer edge, to fill. I know et47 works.

On et35, the full 39mm extra width is all on the outside of the hub - I just don't know how inset the originals are and therefore if the wheel face and tyre will be legally inside the arch edge at that level.

I just don't want to order et47 and then have to fit spacers!

Trouble is I know nobody locally with an NA1 NSX with standard wheels to check.

Thanks for the help/input

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_S View Post
    Sorry all, just realised my calcultions were confused by a decimal point on my reply!! Schoolboy error.

I should have explained , the car is on route from Japan and I'm looking to have new wheels with uk legal tyres awaiting arrival.
    I'm confident the rolling diameter etc is all within acceptable tolerance, but I'm unsighted as to how much gap is available from standard wheel to arch outer edge, to fill. I know et47 works.

On et35, the full 39mm extra width is all on the outside of the hub - I just don't know how inset the originals are and therefore if the wheel face and tyre will be legally inside the arch edge at that level.

I just don't want to order et47 and then have to fit spacers!

Trouble is I know nobody locally with an NA1 NSX with standard wheels to check.

Thanks for the help/input
    Hi Ian,

Where are you based? There should be someone in your area.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!

I'm in Newcastle upon Tyne.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_S View Post
    I'm in Newcastle upon Tyne.
    Yep, that’s me out. I’m in Somerset :-) I think most owners live in the south-east. There are a handful of owners where I live.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!

Hi Ian,

Pity we didn't get a chance to meet at Silverstone, and nice to hear of another owner "up north". I don't really know much about wheel offsets ether, and as I have the wider front wings, I was asked if I wanted spacers fitted, but i'm not keen on that idea either.

Cheers
    Jim
    1992 NSX, 3.0 Manual, (Was Sebring Silver) Now Kaiser Silver

2018 Jaguar XE, 2.0 R-Sport 250, Loire Blue.

2013 Kawazaki ER6F, Metalic Green.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast