Thread: rear upper ball joints..

Default rear upper ball joints..

on the jaunt around wales i noticed a knock every now and then from the rear of the car.....

returning to england and the quality of the roads highlighted the issue once again, so a bit of investigation required...

grabbed the top of the wheel. gave it a good pull and there was a noise/movement, got a helper to hold the top ball joint thru the wheel, did it again, and there was a little movement, so wheel off, suspension jacked up, big screw driver as a lever, and we have this...

https://flic.kr/p/2oSgmvs

(not a great vid, but it's awkward levering suspension and holding the camera! but you get the idea) (edit... goddam vid won't link/imbed grrrr)

so as an interim measure, i did an non honda approved mod.... tho i'm sure they use to do it!

off to the local motorist shop, spend £1 on parts, return, wheels off, drill a hole, tap, screw in said purchase, and sorted!

blurry pic
    IMG_20230728_115110 by JON SUTH, on Flickr

close up, in focus!
    IMG_20230728_115117 by JON SUTH, on Flickr

did the other side , cos i had the grease nipple
    IMG_20230728_120536 by JON SUTH, on Flickr

in ye olden days, every ball joint had a grease nipple, then suddenly , when manufacturers decided they were 'sealed for life', they disappeared, to be replaced with the extra expense of replacing what could be a serviceable item... now it's serviceable, and will do until i source replacements...

yes, i know the rubber boots are very tired, i have replacements, but that will have to wait until after the car shows! especially with the associated risk when trying to split the ball joints!
    Last edited by britlude; 28-07-2023 at 02:15 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Being an old guy, when I was a teenager I do remember seeing grease nipples as standard fitment on the older cars of some of my friends and I do remember the lube shop recommendation that nipples should be fitted on cars that were not so equipped. If the ball was just stiff to move in the joint socket the nipple and the application of some fresh grease might have resolved that problem. But, as per the video you have movement in the joint meaning the joint has worn. Forcing fresh grease into the joint may reduce the rate of future wear; but, it remains worn and you should probably be planning on replacement.

Many years ago I was in a coffee shop and happened to be looking out the window just as a driver was negotiating a tight turn coming out of a parking spot. The tight turn placed a fair amount of lateral force on the lower ball joint (which must have been incredibly worn) causing it to pop out with the front wheel assuming about 45 deg of negative camber and the car coming to a rest on the lower suspension member and other body parts. Fortunately it was a low speed crash. On a Macpherson strut that is the only ball joint and failure has the potential for a lot of drama. If you are lucky the upper ball joint just drives you to distraction with the banging and you avoid the pop-out problem because of the way the joint is normally loaded. I have been mindful of suspension noises ever since that demonstration of suspension failure at the coffee shop.

Quote Originally Posted by britlude View Post
    now it's serviceable, and will do until i source replacements...

aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....