Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Peeling clear coat, respray needed.

if it works... this is a wrap.....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1956-Chevrolet-UGLY-SISTER-678x381.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	14731  
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I feel really bad seeing it like it is.
    I will get some quotes and see where we go from there.
    Formula Red and Black 3.0 manual

I know what you are saying Jonathan but I can't bear seeing it like it is.

don't look at the offensive bit... look at the good bits, but def don't sell because of a blemish
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

It's called patina!

I agree - you'd be nuts to sell a nice car just because...

Maybe some Pioneer/Spoon/Toyo/Youass stickers? Go full Rice-Boy!
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson

Quote Originally Posted by britlude View Post
    don't look at the offensive bit... look at the good bits, but def don't sell because of a blemish
    Its much more than just a blemish Jonathan, the whole bootlid, the spoiler, top of the rear wings and starting along the top of the doors now. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221010_121453_resized.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	14732

Blog Entries

If retirement is around the corner, why not make it as one of your retirement project?

If you have never done DIY re-spraying, that’s great because you would learn something new.

For the professional re-spraying or wrapping, no need rushing and you can wait until the right time comes.

Obviously, no reason to sell the car just for the cosmetic reason.

Much more important to invest in the mechanical and electrical services.

Even if you have made mistake with the DIY re-spraying, no big drama because it will be stripped off by the professional people during the preparation process for the re-spraying.

You are not alone and the same issue on many NSX that experienced strong UV ray over many years.

Mine started showing the effect of UV ray years ago.

It started at the upper horizontal section of the door panel.

You can probably recognise it in this photo.

Also, I noticed tiny bubbling at the black metal B-pillar garnish.

Same issue at the rear wing.

In Japan, re-spraying is treated as damage repair history so I prefer keeping the original paint and thus, going to leave as they are.

Although I’ll never do this to my NSX, there is a certain culture in Japan wrapping the car in interesting way.

It’s up to one’s taste…..

Even done on the NC1.....

Kaz

Whats your budget?

I can ask for you.
    My sprayer usually charge £250-300 per panel for cash.
    Budget will obviously affect final detail attention

A bit far from you but I use TMC at Colchester 01206 331744
    You can contact him and send pictures and see how much he will charge.

SS
    Lexus LC500h.......New Daily run around with some saving the Planet thoughts
    Black/black 95 NSX NA with mk1 Ary exhaust....Now sold
    Red/Black 91 NSX treasure.....FI No more NA
    Silver/Pearl White/Black 1993 NSX 3.0 5 MT NSX ZAZ R-GT Twin Scroll Turbo

I wouldn't leave that on the internet - you never know what bots are trolling!

Those wraps are rather artistic. Dunno if I'd want to drive around like that, though.

Not that I do, much.

You'll need to flat the paint off using Scotchbrite pads in either case - basically to remove the lumps in the clearcoat and most of the clearcoat to key the surface. If you are brave enough to do the prep yourself, it'll be a lot cheaper.

The other problem with red cars is fade - it'll need blending across the doors so you don't get two red cars stuck together. So it's a bit of a big job.

You could even try a DIY wrap! The boot lid & wings should be fairly easy. It's fairly forgiving as long as you don't overheat it. The spoiler & air inlets a bit tricky and they'll need to come off.

I wrapped the spotty chrome on my Leg End and it wasn't too hard - except for the pointy corners on the grille strip.
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson

Well, I managed to get the funds together and found a great body shop near me who were happy for me to be involved at every step and let me do as much of the work as possible so I have done most of the strip down as well as some of the prep and will be doing all the refitting.
    Some of the painting has been done already and is looking really good.
    Some of you may remember but my front bumper had already been painted prior to me buying the car in 2007 and it has always had completely red paint since I have owned it.
    I know that some of the 'grill area' would have originally been black inside on the crossbar and the fins so I was wondering if anyone could post an image of their car bumper showing precisely where I should mask the area for the black bit.
    Many thanks in advance.
    Martin.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast