Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Failed MOT - driver side headlamp

Default Failed MOT - driver side headlamp

Hey guys,

For one reason or another it’s been a terrible year for NSX use but wanted to get her serviced and MOT’d just to keep the records straight.

I did fire her up earlier in the year and all seemed fine, but then didn’t connect the charger properly (I assume) so battery died. Sat idle in the garage over the summer as work kicked my backside so had to jump her to get her going and over to Aberdeen Honda.

MOT failed due to an issue with driver side (R) headlamp. Apparently there’s 2 manual knobs for adjusting light position (seized apparently) and also an automatic/motorised adjustment. The solution suggested is to order part # 33100-SL0-E03. Not a cheap part and won’t be delivered until late Feb. Initially I’d thought I could just get a less strict garage to get my MOT pass as I’m a fair weather, maybe 1000 miles, day driver so no big deal. On getting the car home however I hear the motor for the headlamp continually whirrs, when key turned. Stops when I switch off the car…which is why Honda’s suggestion that it was perhaps this motor that drained the battery seems unlikely/impossible. So the headlamp rises and drops no issue, the issue appears to be with the self levelling motor assembly.

Had a rummage through some similar problems and see parallels, but as I’m pretty mechanically inept I thought I would also raise a new query. Please just redirect me if this has been discussed to death and I’ve simply not found the thread yet.

On a brighter note, obviously I drove straight home and did not drive over any of my favourite roads, but even still the car was immense. What a howl as you let the revs climb, love it..

I've had something similar on my last MoT, although we did "cheat" by using the manual wind up/ down adjusters to change the height of the lights. This was only possible as I still had a slight issue with my lights going up and down as they should, and prob won't work on yours as if you try to wind up / down, I think the motor kicks in and put it back to the fully open position. Worth a try though

Cheers,
    Jim
    1992 NSX, 3.0 Manual, (Was Sebring Silver) Now Kaiser Silver

2018 Jaguar XE, 2.0 R-Sport 250, Loire Blue.

2013 Kawazaki ER6F, Metalic Green.

Bonners - the part number suggested to you is for the entire headlamp assembly, which as you say is quite pricey.
    The adjuster is available seperately - see part number 33129-SLO-N11
    Not sure if this will work in your case, but is about a tenth of the cost of the suggested part.
    December '99 GH-NA2 110 series - 6AS62 Type S in Monte Carlo Blue Pearl

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by NZNick View Post
    Bonners - the part number suggested to you is for the entire headlamp assembly, which as you say is quite pricey.
    The adjuster is available seperately - see part number 33129-SLO-N11
    Not sure if this will work in your case, but is about a tenth of the cost of the suggested part.
    Need to add a clarification here - it isn't made at all clear on parts diagrams, but the part number quoted is the JDM and USDM mechanical adjuster for the headlight assembly. European cars had a different headlight adjuster assembly, with three-position electrical height adjustment from a rotary knob in the cabin. The two headlight adjuster assemblies are not interchangeable between JDM/US and European spec headlights - ask me how I know!

The failure of the electrical adjuster assembly is yet another effect of the dreaded capacitor leakage within the printed circuit board assemblies. This sometimes can be repaired by replacement of the capacitors if the leakage has not damaged the circuit board or other components.

As you've found, the electrical adjuster is not spared separately from the complete headlight assembly. Looking at the parts diagram, I believe it's part of the wiring harness for the headlight, which doesn't even get its own part number. If you're very lucky, the harness might be common between LHD and RHD headlight assemblies, and Christian at ATR might have one from a broken European car.

Depending on how good you are with DIY and electrical, removing the adjuster assembly and cracking it open to attempt a PCB repair by component replacement might be worth your time. I know Kaz does a lot of electrical repairs on NSX parts, and Heineken occasionally posts the results of his handiwork for European owners. You could ask either of them to have a look, or take the adjuster assembly to anyone capable of PCB repair with some guidance notes.

Be warned that availability of European-spec parts is often poor due to the low number of cars made for this market, and the unique combination of right-hand-angled headlights with an electrical adjuster mechanism for the UK market will be the rarest headlight spec of the lot. If you can get a new UK-spec RHD headlight assembly it'll be worth its weight in gold, but I would be worried about Honda's capability to ultimately supply it.
    Last edited by RedCarsGoFaster; 05-11-2022 at 10:16 AM.

Getting a lot of 'NLA' on those part numbers.

Best to pull out the unit & check that it is actually defective.

If it's just a case of seized mechanical pivots you will save yourself a lot of heartache.
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson

Blog Entries

This subject always reminds me of the discussion with late goldnsx.

Mine is JDM so doesn’t have this motorised levelling adjuster but from what I heard from him, it's addition to the –A01/-N11 manual adjuster.
    The main adjustment is done through the manual adjuster.

From the FB group, one European owner kindly took several photos of the actual electrical components and yes indeed, there are 2 green capacitors leaking heavily.

Some of the failure modes were caused by the gear shaft within this motorised adjuster disintegrated from the mating thread inside the adjuster case.
    This will result in motor spinning intermittently or continuously depending on the position of the feedback sliding resistor block.

To pass MOT, you need to have the correct beam pattern/alignment AND if the car is equipped with the adjuster that can be operated from the driver’s seat, this must be operational as well.

So, first try these steps.

1. There are 4 x small 10mm bolts holding the headlight assy/unit.
    If you loosen these bolts, there is enough play at the bolt hole that you can make fair amount of height adjustment.
    Quite often, you can get the alignment within MOT requirement by this method.
    On my garage door, I marked the beam pattern immediately after passing the MOT so I use it as the reference for the next MOT.
    My NSX has Type-S suspension and slightly different F/R rake from standard spec so can't be used for other NSX but still, close enough.

To access these 4 bolts, you’ll need to first remove the plastic headlight cover.
    When re-installing, first make sure to set the cover as forward as possible before making the final adjustment.
    Otherwise, when you raise/pop-up the headlight with the bonnet closed, the edge of the cover may catch the bonnet.

2. With the plastic cover off, check the operation of the manual adjusters. Two at each unit/side.
    The long threaded shaft is heavily corroded by now.
    When you operate the manual adjuster, this shaft should not rotate.

3. The motorised adjuster is actually at the lower/bottom side of the headlight unit.
    If you can, remove the headlight unit (4 x small 10mm bolts, as mentioned above + disconnect the grey connector at the centre).
    In order to remove the motorised adjuster, I’m afraid you will need to de-pin some of the terminals from the grey connector unless you are willing to deal with the wires inside the headlight unit.

If you acted early enough, the leaky capacitor may have not damaged the black flat HIC module yet.
    The other big module is the motor driver and I think it could be the same one used on the A/C CCU board.

If you manged to remove it, then I can take a look at it.

Kaz

OMG, I wish I had 1/10 of the knowledge/skills/willingness of some of you guys, and I’m going to have to read those emails a further 3-4 times to make some sense of them. Thanks to all that have pitched in with some ideas and suggestions.
    At the end of the day though I can’t do very much, but I am wondering if a mechanic I know can review the suggestions and perhaps have a stab at a repair. Still not cheap, but hourly rate ~2/3 of the Honda dealer. Funnily enough this is the guy that used to look after my first car, Mk1 MR 2 which also had a shagged headlamp!

@mutley- is yours a European car? Honda suggesting my manual adjusters are seized, surely with the right lubricant and a wee bit of muscle that should be addressable. If they’re seized they should be seized in the right position so what’s the fuss :-). I think I can get away with a solution, but not if the motor whirrs incessantly.

@NZnick - that part appears to be part of the bigger assembly. Is your understanding then that this is the part that relates to the motor or is the motor then? Honda said it came as 1 big assembly…although probably been 15+ years since they properly worked on an NSX so don’t blame them for being less enlightened than some of you guys. What do you reckon Kaz

@RCGF - I don’t believe my car has a rotary knob in the cabin but believe my car is UK/euro spec. Perhaps not, is there an easy way to tell? The rest of your message will have me in cold sweats for the next few nights, “crack open the PCB…” ��

@Nick - thanks, something for the mechanic. Hopefully he’s intrigued enough to give it a go, or he might just say I can’t be arsed in which case I’m stuck.

@Kaz - I’m grateful I’m not reading your email and chewing gum at the same time as it might be too much for me ��. So it sounds like my motor is also spinning, constantly when ignition on. Where is this mystical in cabin headlamp adjustment? I’m not home until Friday so can’t check but I just cant picture it. I have a rotary knob for dimming the dash but that’s all I can think of. If I don’t have it, I expect it’s in there somewhere, in theory I don’t need it to pass the MOT, correct? If I do have it, then point 1 is irrelevant though as the motors need to work, regardless of if I can get the headlamps set properly, right? Point 2 x Honda say the two manual adjusters are seized. Point 3 - “depinning” isn’t just a connector but something more complicated I assume? Do you believe I should be able to just buy the motorised adjuster or is the whole assembly required like Honda say/suggest? A little concerned that they may be ordering the wrong part, or perhaps the right part if my car is an import right?

I adore this car, looks immense and by not being blisteringly fast you can actually drive/rev it without doing. “Go to jail” speeds. Season in Scotland is over so I’ve wasted the year but need her operational for 2023 for sure. Again, thanks to all for the insight and guidance. ����

8. Default

So on identification of the controller for the headlight adjuster, the European market NSX has four controls on the centre console, behind the gear lever and adjacent to the base of the handbrake.

Three of them are buttons - front fog lights, rear fog light, and headlight washer spray.

The fourth is a rotary knob, which pops up when pushed and can then rotate between the three positions, labelled 0 (intended to be the standard), and then 1 and 2 for downwards tilt to compensate for increasing luggage load in the boot. It will latch down once pushed down a second time.

In the photo linked below, that knob is in the popped up position, available to adjust the headlight aim. When depressed it sits almost flush with the surrounding panel.

https://uploads.carandclassic.com/up...a/18736800.jpg

If I recall the rule correctly, electrical headlight height adjusters, if fitted, must work in order to pass an MOT. As the height adjust knob is subtle and testers may not recognise it, I'd consider that it's rather more likely to fail the MOT for an incorrect headlight pattern.

If the manual mechanism can be freed up and the motor disconnected, an appropriate headlight pattern may be achievable.

9. Default

Post for the collective hivebrain - I haven't had the headlights off my NSX in a little while, and don't have any photos of the relevant area of the headlight including the adjuster.

More in hope than expectation I Googled a random collection of words, and found this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001933349747.html

It's for a 2020 NSX, but looks remarkably similar to the electrical adjuster motor used on the 90's NSX. I'd be amazed if it's the same, but it's got me wondering if a similar replacement could be found from China.

I'm not in the same place as my NSX at the moment so I can't check, but it would be interesting to see if the headlight adjuster motors actually have a supplier part number on them.

To remove a pop-up headlight is fairly easy - deploy the lights using the push button inside the gauge cluster (not the rotary headlight switch), pull the pop-up fuse in the under-bonnet fusebox, four screws to remove the plastic headlight cover, four bolts to remove the headlight assembly from the pop-up frame. Then it's loose and free to be manhandled, subject to the constraints of the wiring. Turn the unit over and you'll see the height adjusters on the outboard underside of the unit.

Anyone with a Euro pop-up headlight equipped NSX fancy doing some archaeology?

Quote Originally Posted by RedCarsGoFaster View Post
    So on identification of the controller for the headlight adjuster, the European market NSX has four controls on the centre console, behind the gear lever and adjacent to the base of the handbrake.

Three of them are buttons - front fog lights, rear fog light, and headlight washer spray.

The fourth is a rotary knob, which pops up when pushed and can then rotate between the three positions, labelled 0 (intended to be the standard), and then 1 and 2 for downwards tilt to compensate for increasing luggage load in the boot. It will latch down once pushed down a second time.

In the photo linked below, that knob is in the popped up position, available to adjust the headlight aim. When depressed it sits almost flush with the surrounding panel.

https://uploads.carandclassic.com/up...a/18736800.jpg

If I recall the rule correctly, electrical headlight height adjusters, if fitted, must work in order to pass an MOT. As the height adjust knob is subtle and testers may not recognise it, I'd consider that it's rather more likely to fail the MOT for an incorrect headlight pattern.

If the manual mechanism can be freed up and the motor disconnected, an appropriate headlight pattern may be achievable.
    Indeed - a workaround might be to replace the pop-up switch with a blank, install some square number plates and keep yelling "Yo JDM!" when at the MOT centre...
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast