Thread: Amsoil MTF

Default Amsoil MTF

Hi everyone.

First post in a while!

Hope everyone is well.

I had been experiencing shifting issues lately, particularly 1st to 2nd (6 speed facelift).

When the car was cold there was so much resistance in the shift from 1st to 2nd that I was having to double clutch or even block shift from 1st to 3rd.

I have always used Honda’s own MTF 3 and change it every few years but read good reports about Amsoil Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid MTF.

Some said the difference between the 2 was like night and day (which I took with a pinch of salt to be honest) but decided to change the oil today and can’t believe the difference.

Buttery smooth shifts with very little notchiness.

Just a heads up for anyone with similar issues!

Good to hear from you …

Like you Ive always stayed loyal to the OEM MTF, but always good to learn of positive alternatives …

Happy changing as you wind on the miles
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Blog Entries

Just one factor to add.

If using non-OEM transmission fluid (regardless of MTF or ATF), please review the suitability.
    DF on our NSX uses multiple friction discs designed with OEM fluid in mind.

If using different chemical, it may have negative side effect.
    The one mentioned here seemed to be fine but no experience.

There were multiple reports of DF related issues when some sort of 'cocktail' MTF was used.

If you have damaged or worn synchro mechanism causing the shifting issue, the non-OEM MTF may 'hide' the mechanical issue but won't repair it.

Honda went with its own way with the synchro using the spring instead of the widely used synchro key mechanism.
    I don't know how well they managed to control the steady spring tension force for each spring in use with such thin material.

Any differences would change the shifting feeling but with new gbox, it was such nice gear shifting experience so hats off to those assembled the gbox.

Kaz