Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boot Hinges - Broken

Default Boot Hinges - Broken

So, this is an annoyance, came to put my bag into the boot after finishing work this afternoon & the boot lid clipped the edge of the rear fender. When I arrived home I investigated further. Initial looks suggested a stiff joint, which I thought was odd but..... after a couple more lifts & lowering of the lid the lid was getting more & more out of alignment. Then I noticed a crack in the paint on the LH hinge. Looking closer & raising the lid a couple more times, the split got worse until I'm now stuck with the lid partly raised as I think if I try & move it again, the metal will snap.

So a couple of questions,

Has anyone seen this before ?

Has anyone got a second hand set of boot hinges, preferably in red ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220804_174620.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	14656

This is the RH hinge, which has signs of the paint cracking, so probably also on it's way to failure.

Name:	20220804_174707.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	14657

Name:	20220804_174743.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	14658

Name:	20220804_174838.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	14659
    Wix

Blog Entries

Not so common as the main relay failure but unfortunately, already enough issue reported.

And indeed, some experienced with snapped hinge.

On many NSX, you will notice that the forward section of the boot lid where the hinge sits doesn't align well against the rear wing.

Mine is doing this and when the boot lid is closed, the right forward section is kind of slightly lifted against the top surface of the rear right wing.

Must be the metal fatigue so one day, would love to replace it but the new one is only primed and not colour coded.

Kaz

Is it metal fatigue in the hinge, or the boot lid itself? - i can’t tell from the pictures.
    The hinges aren’t too expensive, but the boot lid is into 4 digits…
    Could a contributing factor to the cause be the gas struts failing at different rates causing a twisting motion?
    Last edited by NZNick; 05-08-2022 at 10:13 PM.
    December '99 GH-NA2 110 series - 6AS62 Type S in Monte Carlo Blue Pearl

It's the LH hinge that has fatigued & if I move the lid again, I think it will finally snap. The RH hinge has signs of fatiguing, as there is a crack in the paint.
    Wix

This made me go out and look at the hinges on my 2000. On my right hinge, there is no crack in the hinge metal; but, a small piece of the paint had flaked off at the exact spot where wixer experienced the crack in the hinge. It is not uncommon for surface coatings to spall when the underlaying structure is being strained under stress. Makes me wonder if I should purchase a new hinge and a can of custom mix paint to match it up.

Has anybody attempted a repair of the cracked hinge? Looks like a rather fiddly area to do a repair.

Managed to buy some secondhand hinges off Ebay for £70, not ideal but I didn't want the car off the road, while I waited for new hinges from Amayama & getting them painted, will do this over the winter, as this year might be the year I actually get the car painted a single shade of red

The hinges, as you can see are the dark purple colour Midnight Pearl and weirdly, don't really look out of place on a red car.

Name:	20220815_171554.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	14669
    This is the broken LH hinge, I may see if I can get it repaired & possibly re-inforced with a small piece of aluminium welded to both sides of the fracture.

Name:	20220815_171533.jpg 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	14668

Name:	20220815_171516.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	14667

Name:	20220815_171559.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	14666
    Wix

Quote Originally Posted by wixer View Post
    This is the broken LH hinge, I may see if I can get it repaired & possibly re-inforced with a small piece of aluminium welded to both sides of the fracture.

Name:	20220815_171533.jpg 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	14668
    When I went out to look at my hinges, I did the magnet test. The hinges on my car are definitely steel which is why I was wondering whether anybody had attempted a repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Old guy View Post
    When I went out to look at my hinges, I did the magnet test. The hinges on my car are definitely steel which is why I was wondering whether anybody had attempted a repair.
    I assumed they were aluminium without thinking about it but they are steel, which will make a repair an easier thing to do. Pity I gave my MIG welder away.....
    Wix

Just had a peek at mine which seem all good.
    I'm assuming some preventative maintenance would be to lube the hinges with some oil.
    Just did mine anyway, embarrassingly the first time in 19 years of ownership!

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by NSXGB View Post
    Just had a peek at mine which seem all good.
    I'm assuming some preventative maintenance would be to lube the hinges with some oil.
    Just did mine anyway, embarrassingly the first time in 19 years of ownership!
    I'm going to do mine right now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast