Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NSX engine + manual gearbox + ECU for sale

Default NSX engine + manual gearbox + ECU for sale

62,000 miles, taken from a wrecked car (1995, if I remember right) and put into dry storage since.

Throttle is the by-wire type.

Photos to follow

Price: £7500 collection from Cambridge.

Goldtop, I've sent you a PM.
    Wix

Sale of gearbox is pending. I am checking the gearbox number to confirm snap-ring isn't relevant. Will update ASAP.

Sale of engine is pending. Will update ASAP.

Not sure about the ECU. Anyone know if they are 'hard-coded' to any particular sensor or other part of the engine?

Blog Entries

For me, not a problem as I know who you are but for history tracking purpose, may I suggest posting the photo of the ENG no. and the Gbox one as well?

ENG no alone won't tell the camshaft spec (MT/AT) but at least, can confirm the series no.

There was a big change in DF spec so Gbox no. would help in confirming the spec.

For the ECU, photo of parts no. would help to confirm the compatibility such as MT/AT, non-DBW/DBW, security chip, market area difference, sensor input/output, etc.

Kaz

Yup - can do. The buyer of the gearbox wants to see the number anyway, so I will sort out those photos tomorrow.

From the previous owner, I've also got photos of the (unfortunate) donor car's chassis number and the dash gauge showing odometer reading. I can post these, too, to help keep all of the pertinent info together.

Gearbox number: SR8M-6101212
    Engine number: C30A3-5100012
    ECU part number: 37820-PBY-G51
    Chassis number: JHMNA-11600T500022
    Odo reading: 62251 miles

That ECU code...
    This page - https://www.parts-honda.uk/honda-car...__1304/3/23707 and others on the site - seems to indicate that this is an ECU code for a later 6-speed manual car. Which matters as the hopeful buyer of the gearbox wants a 5-speed! So if anyone can help confirm or contradict, that would be useful.

FWIW, the PCB within the ECU has a code "E-8728" in white silk-screen print with a smaller "B99 Y03" code stamped in black close to the largest chip, which itself has a small "NA1" sticker. No signs of any alterations, just some white 'goo' joining two pairs of capacitors together.

Blog Entries

VIN suggests it's 96 Coupe 5MT with EPS.
    Normally, I don't recommend posting the full VIN but since you stated that it was from a wrecked one, probably a good idea.

Gbox no. suggests it's 5MT with torque reactive DF so for 5MT, only applicable to 95-96 spec unless someone modified it.

ENG no. suggests it's of MT spec on 96 model unless someone modified the internal parts.

ECU is interesting.
    From the factory, it left with 37820-PR7-G05 as the VIN is the European spec.
    However, if you have -PBY-G51, that's MT spec for 00-02 models unless the case/housing or the circuit board were swapped in the past.

Kaz
    Last edited by Kaz-kzukNA1; 08-04-2022 at 03:30 PM. Reason: extra info

Thanks Kaz. So the ECU is the conundrum, with everything else checking out for the chassis. Reassuring.

On the ECU, do we know if there is extra security/coding within a 2000-2002 ECU that could complicate matters for someone using it with an earlier engine? (I'll have a search here and Prime this weekend.)

Blog Entries

If you are referring to the immobiliser with the IC chipped IG key on our NSX, then I 'think' it was introduced from the next variant of the ECU (-G52, etc ???).
    There is a way to tell by looking at the circuit board.

Depending on the country, emission spec, etc, so many differences between different series of engine/emission/etc control devices combination that it will trigger the CEL.

Just from the memory, I would assume the -G51 would be expecting 4 x O2 sensors, 3pin IG coil, air assisted INJ, secondary air pump, different EVAP control, etc.

Just keep it as eventually, someone may need the exact -G51 spec.

Many electronics parts for NSX are discontinued even in Japan.

Kaz

Good info, thanks.

The buyer for the '95 engine doesn't want the ECU anyway, so I can do as you say - and save it to photo-document and sell separately.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast