Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Is Honda's NSX Worth MORE Than A Ferrari?

Default Why Is Honda's NSX Worth MORE Than A Ferrari?

Had a friend send me this yesterday: makes interesting viewing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVMShaFk9bU
    Mathieu

1996 NSX-T Manual ex Honda press car
    2014 Jaguar F Type coupe 340 LHD (Now sold)
    1996 MG RV8...only 14K miles
    1977 Ronart W152 S6....sounds like half a spitfire!
    1966 Ford Mustang Coupe GT K code
    1963 Volvo P1800S...immaculate in black/red

Very interesting and some good points made in the video and replies.
    When you consider 18k cars over a 15 year production run. The bulk of the cars being LHD and the large number of auto cars (absolutely no offence). That leaves only a small number of RHD manual cars. Further compounded in the collectors sphere by only a small number of low mileage, non crashed cars. And you have a condition for high appreciation.
    Obviously you need a great product for this to happen! But actually, as Many marques have proven over the years, you don’t. In the case of the NSX though, I think most people agree it is excellent. Even if they don’t really like it.
    So with excellent build quality, dynamics, ergonomics, the playstation generation, race wins, unique original design, endless youtube tributes, driver appeal and scarcity and of course the xxxxx thing. It isn’t hard to see why it is so iconic and therefore so valuable. By the way, my car goes on sale in March ������
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!

Very interesting indeed, not sure the GT game has added £20k onto the price or if that's just because they're so damn gorgeous and usable.

Funnily enough I happened onto Pheads myself at the weekend, in error, as was trying to find guidance on how to change/charge my dead battery and took a peek at the prices. Was surprised/happy, although asking price not necessarily selling price!

Back to scouring -this site - for battery intel as looks a bit of a bugger to get out.

I think that another factor is to do with the quality of the paint finish on the aluminium panels - no rust issues, and only a very, very few examples of bubbling paint from oxidisation. A 1991 NSX just looks in better health than many a Ferrari of the same era.
    Yes, the NSX is an expensive Honda to maintain, but still nowhere near the cost of keeping a Ferrari on the road for the same period of time, plus you can actually drive the car knowing that an additional 10 or 20 thousand miles won't knock a similar amount of £ off the value, as well as cost you the same amount of £ in maintainable costs.
    I think what the world has finally caught up on is that the engineering is worth more than the badge, especially as it is reflected in the driving experience and overall ownership experience.
    December '99 GH-NA2 110 series - 6AS62 Type S in Monte Carlo Blue Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by NZNick View Post
    I think that another factor is to do with the quality of the paint finish on the aluminium panels - no rust issues, and only a very, very few examples of bubbling paint from oxidisation. A 1991 NSX just looks in better health than many a Ferrari of the same era.
    Yes, the NSX is an expensive Honda to maintain, but still nowhere near the cost of keeping a Ferrari on the road for the same period of time, plus you can actually drive the car knowing that an additional 10 or 20 thousand miles won't knock a similar amount of £ off the value, as well as cost you the same amount of £ in maintainable costs.
    I think what the world has finally caught up on is that the engineering is worth more than the badge, especially as it is reflected in the driving experience and overall ownership experience.
    Beautiful, when I come to sell my baby I want NZNick to write my sales ad.

Not when you have seen my fee, and commission percentage...
    December '99 GH-NA2 110 series - 6AS62 Type S in Monte Carlo Blue Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by NZNick View Post
    Not when you have seen my fee, and commission percentage...
    I guess it depends what you do………..

Vrery simple answer. The NSX is a far superior car and it is NOT a Ferrari. Finally, people are realising that.
    1999 3.2 Manual NA2 Targa in Formula Red

Quote Originally Posted by NSX100 View Post
    Vrery simple answer. The NSX is a far superior car and it is NOT a Ferrari. Finally, people are realising that.
    It certainly feels like it. I just had a look at the 90’s Porsches. The 993’s are serious money now. Special models aside, many over £100K. The E46 CSL market is also ascending again. Interesting how cars make jumps (or not) over periods of time.
    The Ferrari market is fun. Hugely affected by mileage and spec. I like the product more than I used to, but just couldn’t afford to maintain one.
    I was interested by Jack’s comment (from the video). He didn’t think anything was currently worth their current values. I’m not sure how that can be argued. It could be argued that certain cars appear to be subject to a cartel on price. Possibly R34 GTR’s. But I do not believe the NSX falls into this category. As you say, it’s taken a long time to get to this.
    I’ve said it before, but the historic lack of NSX’s for sale has also made pricing tough to calibrate. Anyone seriously interested in one now should really look at what is available in Japan and research sold/advertised prices here. Oh and stay away from buying guides!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast