Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wiper Arm scratching Bonnet with correct Wiper Blades

Blog Entries

Question Wiper Arm scratching Bonnet with correct Wiper Blades

Since I bought my NSX in 2015, there were deep scratch marks on the underside of the bonnet:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG6049.jpg 
Views:	397 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	14356

Name:	IMAG6047.jpg 
Views:	421 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	14358

After an online search I came to the conclusion that the wrong type of wipers are fitted - unfortunately that seems not to be the case since the arm touches the bonnet even without a wiper attached and even the black bolt rubs against the bonnet:

Name:	IMAG6048.jpg 
Views:	432 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	14357

Today I disassembled the wiper mechanics and could confirm "some" play in the bushing of the affected wiper but I'm unsure if that's really the case? Are there are other more likely cases?
    1997 JDM Custom Order AT VIN 1400005 - Stock
    Heineken's Garage

Blog Entries

The distance from hood to glass is ~40 mm which is quite a tight fit for the wiper arm.
    Created a video that shows the amount of deflection:

The main question: Is that excessive play?

PS: The wiper arm shaft seems to run in bronze bearings but I'm not aware of any replacements being available.
    Heineken's Garage

Mines the same but I haven't investigated why it rubs.
    Wix

Undo the wiper arm nut, press the 'elbow' sprung hinge on the wiper arm toward the screen, it'll probably move an inch, retighten nut.

The spring in the arm stops the spline seating properly, so it leaves the arm at an angle to the mounting spindle, and will touch the bonnet.

Been there, worked that one out......

Wipers make no difference as the pivot point is outboard of the bonnet anyway, you can lift the wiper blades inches off the screen and the arms still won't touch the bonnet
    Last edited by britlude; 31-10-2021 at 10:36 AM.
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Blog Entries

That one I'll try out - It's already further away from the bonnet since I re-installed the wiper arm - that fits your experience!
    Heineken's Garage

Blog Entries

Holding the arm down while tightening creates sufficient clearance but this might be related to the fact that several mm of bonnet was already scraped away ..

Name:	IMAG6056c.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	14359

I'm tending towards explaining the issue in both wear and a wrong mounting of the wiper arm - guess I'll be off to get an new wiper assembly.
    Heineken's Garage

This is the end of the wiper assembly that appears to be suffering from the excess play (not my car)??

Name:	Wiper.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	14360

I looks like the pivot shaft of the wiper arm rides right in the frame of the Link (Honda's name for the assembly) which appears to be an aluminum alloy of some sort. Honda has conveniently provided a circlip to allow removal of the shaft. It should be relatively easy to remove the shaft and measure the ID and shaft OD to determine if you have what appears to be excessive clearance. I expect that all the wear will be in the aluminum and it might not be too difficult to have a bronze bushing fabricated and inserted into the frame of the link after it is bored out to fit.

You are fortunate in that the Link is still available from Amayama for RHD cars. The link for LHD is discontinued so this would actually be a bigger potential issue for North American and EU owners. Perhaps less of an issue for me because the wipers have probably been operated a total of 20 minutes in the last 10 years.

If you can figure out how to fix an NSX head unit I figure this should be a trivial exercise for you .

Blog Entries

Well, it's different from Electronics
    Already had a look inside the bearing and found two bronze bushings pushed into the Aluminium. Unless the pivot is worn too much it should be sufficient to replace those - don't ask me how to get them out, acquire new ones an re-install them though ..
    Heineken's Garage

Blog Entries

Could you take a photo of the both existing wiper blades ideally removed from the wiper arm and the rubber in the air without touching anything?

I mean the entire blade including the pantograph mechanism, wing, rubber and not just the wiper rubber.

Also, what is the rubber length?

From your signature, I believe you have JDM NSX.

Kaz

Blog Entries

It's a 1997 JDM, correct. The rubber length is 55 mm on both arms.

Name:	IMAG6059fs.jpg 
Views:	368 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	14364
    Driver Side with Spoiler

Name:	IMAG6060fs.jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	14365
    Passenger Side

Sorry for the pictures not being very professional ..
    Last edited by Heineken; 02-11-2021 at 05:02 PM. Reason: removed wrong statement
    Heineken's Garage

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast