Thread: Clutch Replacement

Default Clutch Replacement

I appreciate Wixer is in the throes of documenting a clutch replacement.
    This video popped up on YouTube
    https://youtu.be/eivkwzplstc
    All bright and shiny without a rusty or crusty bolt in sight, wonderful but not a UK reality.
    I have neither replaced my clutch or read up in detail how to do it, but hanging the engine off just 1(?) engine mount looks, to me, rather scary.
    For those who have done a DIY/ driveway clutch replacement can they critique the video.

Cheers, Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by duncan View Post
    I appreciate Wixer is in the throes of documenting a clutch replacement.
    This video popped up on YouTube
    https://youtu.be/eivkwzplstc
    All bright and shiny without a rusty or crusty bolt in sight, wonderful but not a UK reality.
    I have neither replaced my clutch or read up in detail how to do it, but hanging the engine off just 1(?) engine mount looks, to me, rather scary.
    For those who have done a DIY/ driveway clutch replacement can they critique the video.

Cheers, Duncan
    Quite an informative video as it does show what has to be removed to get decent access to do the removal. I'll probably remove the forward cross member before re-assembly but I agree, there's no sign of supporting the engine but I would've thought there would be a lot more drop out of the engine, when only suspended on it's front mount.

Not sure on some of his claims on a single plate clutch over a twin plate..... especially over gaining some horse power ????... Quicker revving yes, if the assembly is lighter.

I'm not sure I'd put the driveshaft oil seals in that way either, best practice IMO is to use a correct sized drift & push them in square to the hole. I had one made by a mate with his 3D printer & a sawn off broom stick handle. I'll be using it again when I replace them both.

One interesting point though, is the crank oil seal can be replaced without removing the end plate housing, something I have to do, so this is something I've learned & will save me removing the sump before the gearbox is back in place.

Those are my thoughts....
    Wix