Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Impact Wrench - Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by duncan View Post
    To complete the set I’d add the following
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172529834...4AAOSwymxVLCeg
    - it’s an impact screwdriver, it’s JIS sized and it works
    I have one of those Vessel impact drivers from 1970. Chrome steel and came in a little gold colored meatal case with a selection of 6 bits. Required tool for any one with a Japanese motorcycle built prior to the late '70s before they started switching from Phillips head to hexagonal head machine screws for the engine cases. Why anybody ever thought Phillips head screws were a good idea is beyond me. Still remains a useful tool. Hot ticket for getting out those silly retaining screws that they use on the wheel hubs.

Quote Originally Posted by goldtop View Post
    Oooh - that definitely appeals to my inner gadget-freak. I watched your video - very persuasive. Bit spendy ... must think ...
    There are lower cost options if you search around.

SOLARY H7E Magnetic Induction Heater Kit 1000W 110V For Automotive Flameless Heat Induction Heat 1KW Hand Tool, Heat Guns - Amazon Canada

About 140 pounds sterling - before shipping. You would have to deal with the 110 volt supply problem; but, if you search for induction heating tool for removing bolts you may find an EBay equivalent in GB that operates at 230 volts..

Quote Originally Posted by Old guy View Post
    There are lower cost options if you search around.

SOLARY H7E Magnetic Induction Heater Kit 1000W 110V For Automotive Flameless Heat Induction Heat 1KW Hand Tool, Heat Guns - Amazon Canada

About 140 pounds sterling - before shipping. You would have to deal with the 110 volt supply problem; but, if you search for induction heating tool for removing bolts you may find an EBay equivalent in GB that operates at 230 volts..
    Thanks. Yes, that's a possibility, because I already have a step-down transformer for the day job. We also use 110V as the UK's standard for power tools on construction sites, so high-VA transformers are very easy to find.

Today's finding - Plusgas (harder to get here than the USA, it seems). But...

Yesterday's finding - three bolts fixing the rear exhaust heatshield where the head have corroded away to a sort of dome/cone shape. Nothing for a spanner or socket to grip!

(It's two steps forward, one step back stripping this engine!)

Ordered the JIS impact screwdriver mentioned above. (After trawling through Halfords and other shops and finding no JIS drivers at all).

I did a quick test on one of the screws holding the brake disks to the hub, and that definitely cams out with a Philips.

The JIS screwdriver arrived today (very speed service).

It says "PH2x100" on the label, and "P.2x100" on the handle. I didn't expect any mention of 'PH' if this is a JIS standard, though. (insert chin-scratching smiley here)

I'll try it on the brake disk screw later...

ETA: it's this one - https://vessel.co.jp/userfiles/handtools/980_fl_E.pdf

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12