Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Impact Wrench - Recommendations

Default Impact Wrench - Recommendations

I'm about to buy an impact driver, mainy to remove the driveshaft nuts, as a 1m breaker bar & brute force, isn't working. Does anyone use one on a regular basis & could make a recommendation on specification (max torque etc.) before I take the plunge ? I would be looking at a Bosch ideally, so I can use the battery from my drill.

Thanks in advance.
    Wix

I have a ryobi one (American sourced as its got a higher max torque)... A very useful tool to have for disassembly...
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

If you are looking for maximum grunt as opposed to something that just speeds up spinning nuts on and off, I suggest that you shop by drive size and the weight of the tool. If a 1m breaker bar isn't doing the trick for you, restrict your shopping to impact drives that come with 3/4" drives and weigh a lot. Impact drivers / wrenches work by spinning a big ass chunk of steel (effectively a flywheel) which moves back and forth every turn to apply a hammer effect to the drive bit. That weight banging back and forth is what makes that bang, bang, bang noise when you use one. The bigger that chunk of rotating steel, the greater the stored energy and the bigger the whack when it hammers forward on the bit. Whether its driven by compressed air, 120/240 VAC or a battery, weight is your friend.

If you don't want to fork over the admittedly sizeable cash for an impact driver with maximum grunt, I suggest a 3/4 " breaker bar with a couple meters of 1 1/4" ID pipe as an adjustable extension. I have a big air compressor; but, a rather light (probably 3 kg) 1/2" drive air impact wrench. Suitable for removing lug nuts; but, not up to the task of dealing with big rusty / crusty bolts.

As an alternative a lever type impact bar Sealey VS786, photos and notes see an earlier post by myself
    http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.ph...-Major-Service

Blog Entries

As you experienced, battery is one of the main deciding factor.

Once you started using a specific make, people tends to stick with it as not only the battery but also the charger could be bit pricey.

Depending on the model/spec, Bosch has advantage in interchangeable battery design with other manufactures.

I use Milwaukee and DeWalt but again, it's more to do with the battery spec.
    Same for the gardening tools.
    I use Stihl simply because I started with them and can use the same battery for the multiple tools.

Every year or even few months, there will be small improvements on these battery powered tools so if buying new, just get whatever the size and the torque spec meets your demand.

Haven't checked the price recently but several years ago, it was cheaper to buy the shell only plus even the charger (note the possible voltage and of course the plug spec difference) in US and just buy the battery in UK.

As Old guy mentioned, the size/weight to be considered as it may limit the benefit if thinking of using it in tight space.

For 36mm, it may not be a problem but for smaller ones like 19mm crank pulley bolt, invest in the counterweight socket.

Increases the inertia to have better chance of loosening the seized bolt.

High torque battery operated impact is not cheap but if you are likely to use it regularly, good investment.

However, if you are only going to use it occasionally, like once a year, then you may better off taking your NSX to the HGV tyre place or the likes.

They will have sub-tank assisted powerful impact so just ask them to loosen your spindle nut while you wait.

Apply grease, re-torque the nut and drive back.

You can invest the money in other things or for lower torque spec impact wrench.

Still, I keep the air impact gun for the fuel filter area.

Kaz
    Last edited by Kaz-kzukNA1; 04-10-2021 at 11:49 AM. Reason: typo

Thanks for the advice/recommendations guys. I've followed what you've said & gone for a decent weighted wrench (3kg) & I'm happy to say it tackled the drive shaft nuts with ease. It only took 30 seconds to undo both nuts & the most stubborn took 20 secs.

This is the one I went for, mainly due to the fact I have two other Bosch 18v units, so I only needed the wrench. Torque spec is 650NM. It'll be interesting to see how it deals with less stubborn nuts & bolts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211007_173920.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	122.7 KB 
ID:	14317

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211007_173937.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	14318
    Wix

Can I hijack with an extra question: is an impact driver likely to help with rusted on nuts/bolts? In the 10-12-14mm range?

I've encountered a few recalcitrant b*gg*rs on my engine+trans and I am trying not to round them off with the breaker bar.

Next step is to buy some Plusgas (because the Halford's Release stuff doesn't seem to make a difference) and or a little blow-lamp!

Quote Originally Posted by goldtop View Post
    Can I hijack with an extra question: is an impact driver likely to help with rusted on nuts/bolts? In the 10-12-14mm range?

I've encountered a few recalcitrant b*gg*rs on my engine+trans and I am trying not to round them off with the breaker bar.

Next step is to buy some Plusgas (because the Halford's Release stuff doesn't seem to make a difference) and or a little blow-lamp!
    I bought one of these a few years ago, for rusted nuts & bolts, very effective.

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.ph...ht=mini+ductor
    Wix

Oooh - that definitely appeals to my inner gadget-freak. I watched your video - very persuasive. Bit spendy ... must think ...

To complete the set I’d add the following
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172529834...4AAOSwymxVLCeg
    - it’s an impact screwdriver, it’s JIS sized and it works

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast