Thread: Lifting a C30+transmission on a crane (engine already out of car)

Default Lifting a C30+transmission on a crane (engine already out of car)

I've got a spare NSX engine and transmission on a pallet, and I want to put the engine on to an engine stand. I have ordered a 1-ton engine crane, and I'm wondering which are the best hoisting points to use. There's the obvious one - vertical bracket near the alternator. Easily accessible and near the top for clearance. Ideal.

And there's also a similar bracket on the transmission. But I don't want to use that as I will want to get the transmission off in order to get the C30 on to an engine stand. It's also quite a lot lower.

Is there a most suitable point somewhere in the vicinity of the throttle body? (I haven't tried dismantling anything yet to see if there's another bracket ready and waiting for this purpose.)

Suggestions?

To answer my own question:

Now that I'm at home, I can see that the service manual (my copy is for a 1995 car, but presumably the same as my 1993 car in this respect) has a diagram which shows a second engine lift bracket at the other end of the engine. As well as a second bracket on the transmission. Of course, the manual hardly covers these because the info is almost all about dropping the engine to get it out of the car.

I think both of the extra lifting points must be obscured by various harnesses/etc, causing me to overlook them in the darkness of my workshop.

Hopefully I am sorted.

Blog Entries

Don't know the design spec of your engine stand or the engine crane so probably missing something but should be several options available.
    Just depends on the entire garage setup.

First, if using 1t crane, please check different safety spec for the arm angle and the length against max weight allowed at each position.
    You may struggle with the arm length as it may not be long enough when set at the safety angle for lifting both the Eng/Gbox while on the pallet.

If the Eng/Gbox assy is still on the pallet, lift it and place spacer, bench, hydraulic platform, etc to the height of your trans lift or engine stand.
    Then you can shift the Eng/Gbox assy to one edge, separate the gbox and attach the eng stand.
    The weight of the eng is held by the pallet/bench/platform/etc and you can use the hunger near the alternator bracket and one of the TH body bolt to balance the engine.
    Obviously, do not apply full weight on the TH body bolt.
    Or, you can strap the section of the intake manifold for balancing purpose.

Don't know the attachment spec of your eng stand but you may be able to use it as the hunger point.

You could create cage, spacer, etc along the edge of the oil pan and use strap as the hunger point.

So, it really depends on the garage setup and what you have.

By the way, the two hungers/lifting points at the trans side that you mentioned above are on the trans case and not on the Eng.

Kaz

Thanks Kaz. I'm with you on the crane/arm-length relationship and should be OK with that (my calcs show approx 360kg for the engine and transmission weight, so I'd be using the 500kg setting at worst). Good idea on lifting the whole thing and placing something else below it to raise the level (before removing the trans using the crane to support it via those two hangers).

Before I start, I think I will remove as much as possible - partly for learning purposes and also to photo-document the process.

(Still not sure of my plans. My '93 coupe has 118000m on it and this engine has 62000m. Unless I was going to get the engine rebuilt for forced induction, it seems a bit crazy to have two. But for now the whole package is in the way and it would be easy to store it separated into smaller parts on wheeled trucks/stands. Plus, there's that whole learning opportunity.)