Thread: Manual steering instead of EPS?

Default Manual steering instead of EPS?

If a car has EPS, is it possible to throw the system out and install a manual steering rack instead? Any modifications needed?

Reason: the manual rack is much simpler tech and cheaper to replace/overhaul.

Don't see why not, it's only a rack.... You'll have to do something about the dash light...
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Correct, the dash light is ON (friend's car). For the money to hassle with the EPS you can buy a new manual rack and never mind about it in the future.
    Switching the EPS OFF is not an option as the steering effort is too high without EPS while parking.

Just makes me think about it why Honda ever installed it. US market? New technology back then to try out? Does it have an advantage for the driver? I've never driven one and am very happy to have it NOT installed.

Blog Entries

Must replace the U-joint because of the spline shaft difference on the rack side.
    Fortunately, the column side is the same so no need replacing.

Strictly speaking, the rack boot spec is different between EPS and manual rack version but can be left as is.

If the EPS rack is still in good condition, can just disable the controller.
    Should not trigger the EPS light.
    However, please keep eye on the condition of the rack boot.
    One of the cause for the EPS rack failure is the moisture entering inside due to torn boot.

Interesting to see different view depending on the driving environment.
    In Japan, many owners went the other way.
    They wanted the EPS so much that they swapped their manual rack with EPS even on few Type-R or trackday cars.

Kaz

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz-kzukNA1 View Post
    They wanted the EPS so much that they swapped their manual rack with EPS even on few Type-R or trackday cars.

Kaz
    Thanks very much, Kaz.

My experience is that the manual steering is very ok as long as you stay with the OEM wheels (any size) with normal tyres (no spacers). But it get's annoying when you mount aftermarket wheels with lower ET or spacers (the fender flush boys). The car I'm talking of has OEM 16/17. I've had 16/17 myself some years and the steering was perfect with it, even when parking.

Not sure if the owner is willing to swap but what do used EPS systems go for?

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz-kzukNA1 View Post

Kaz
    Probably because the EPS turns off when you are doing more than about 10MPH - so you effectively have the benefit of assistance at parking speed and a manual rack for normal (or track) driving.
    Mike

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by goldnsx View Post
    Correct, the dash light is ON (friend's car). For the money to hassle with the EPS you can buy a new manual rack and never mind about it in the future.
    Switching the EPS OFF is not an option as the steering effort is too high without EPS while parking.

Just makes me think about it why Honda ever installed it. US market? New technology back then to try out? Does it have an advantage for the driver? I've never driven one and am very happy to have it NOT installed.
    May depend on your individual situation. I have to start every day with some tight maneuvring in an underground car park, so there’s a lot of arm input at very low speeds - the assistance from the EPS on my NSX is very welcome!

If I lived somewhere where I could drive straight in and out of the driveway, and/or had a gravel drive, I’m sure I could live perfectly happily without EPS. If EPS wasn’t available I’d probably manage OK, but I’d benefit from more time in the gym!

I’ve seen a huge range of quoted speeds at which the steering assist switches off - from 10mph to 87mph. On my car it feels like it’s around the 30-40mph range, but this may vary with the rack/controller box generations.

IMO EPS gets a bad rap on the NSX. There are cars where it’s done badly - I once drove a 2005 Accord with horrendous electric steering, no feedback at all - but as said, once the assist has switched out then I find the steering on the NSX to be fine. You do have to get used to the steering weight lightening up as the assist dials in in slower corners, which is odd at first, but otherwise I find it well worth having.

My personal opinion is that if the car is equipped with EPS and the EPS is functioning, I would leave it in place. My 2000 has EPS and the level of assist is much lower than on most other cars, whether they use hydraulic or EPS systems. When I switch from my Audi A4 Allroad to the NSX my initial reaction is always that the EPS on the NSX has failed because the level of assist is significantly lower. I have driven an NSX with assist and without assist and if you are using your NSX for daily driver duties I would much prefer the EPS.

At speed I don't notice any difference in that rather subjective area of 'feel'. The non assist rack has a variable ratio (18.2 - 20.8), the EPS rack is fixed at 18.6 so the non assisted rack gets a greater angle change in the wheel angle once off center. However, the difference between 18.2 and 18.6 is pretty small.