Thread: Scissor Lifts

Default Scissor Lifts

I'm thinking of getting a pair of these scissor lifts, to help jacking the cars up in the garage. Anyone got any experience using/owning these or similar ?

https://www.garageequipment.co.uk/Ve...k-lift-ac220v#
    Wix

I have a set of QuickJack BL 5000, they are great. A bit fiddly to set up but after that, easy and very useful. Available from CostCo for c£1100 inc Vat. They also do a bigger and smaller set.

QuickJack offer frame extensions as well as the SUV adapters; I have bought those so I can get under just about all my cars, including an L494 Range Rover Sport (though this is right on the limit of the weight capability of the set I have, so axle stands are a must)

Mine are 12V, I run it off a Noco booster, works fine.
    Daily driver: Jaguar iPace HSE
    2000 NSX Coupe, Circuit Blue, was W2NSX now V6NSX
    Renault Megane RS Trophy R
    Other interesting mode of transport: Bell JetRanger

Blog Entries

Depends on the head clearance, floor structure, power supply, etc and what kind of services you are aiming for.
    Just balance the purpose and budget with above factors in mind.
    I think several owners on here and on Prime are using the QuickJack or similar design spec with good experience.

If you are thinking of dropping the fuel tank for replacing the fuel pump, you are going to struggle but on the other hand, how often you think you are going to carry out such service…..

If the control board uses the electrolytic capacitors, eventually, it will leak so some maintenance required.
    Purchase or lease option depends on the cost, how frequently and for how long you are going to use it.

Kaz

I also have the Quickjack BL5000 and would echo flyingsniffers comments. I made some ply templates to align the rubber blocks correctly each time for the NSX, which helps with setting it up each time. I'm not sure whether you could do a gearbox change with it but good for a lot of low level maintenance. I also have the 12v model and run it off a leisure battery, so can be portable if required. My car is slightly lower but can park the car over them in the garage when not in use. Useful if you don't have much space.
    I also use it to raise the car off the ground in periods of inacivity, so the tyres dont go square!

Blog Entries

In 2017 a kind of heavy duty scissor lift (3.000 kg) was installed on one of the parking spots in my double garage. It's not mounted to the floor and can be moved around if required.
    The maximum lifting height is ~1 m but the NSX is the only car in the family that can be lifted that high without hitting the garage ceiling first.

It allows for access to most of the underbody components, even dropping the motor I suppose, but body work or gasoline tank replacement is probably difficult or impossible to realize.
    The biggest advantage is that the lift can be parked over (even on one side only) and allows to put the car in any place inside the garage (e.g. in the middle when doing cleaning work and both doors need to be open).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Frei.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	14233

Name:	Auffahrt.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	14232

Name:	Aufgebockt.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	14234

Name:	Unterboden.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	14236

Name:	Hochgefahren.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	14235

Name:	Jazz.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	14237

The height allows to sit on the floor while working, which is more comfortable than lying under the car, but not comparable to a real lift unfortunately.
    1997 JDM Custom Order AT VIN 1400005 - Stock
    Heineken's Garage

Thanks for all the replies guys, seems like the consensus is, they are a worth while investment.Think I'll order some this week.

Cheers.
    Wix

Check out Automotech in Rugeley...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210207_170235.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	14238  

These https://www.garageequipment.co.uk/Ve...ik-lift-ac220v
    arrived in the week, so had a play with them yesterday. I must say, I'm impressed so far. I went for these, rather than some of the other suggestions, as they are portable & aren't connected together, so access to the under side of the car, isn't hindered. Only takes around 30 secs to raise the car 450mm, so looks like it's the end of the road for my trolley jacks & taking 30 minutes to get the car jacked to a height to work on....

Name:	20210424_172555.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	14246

Name:	20210424_113438.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	14247
    Wix

Blog Entries

No matter what type or brand, it's certainly a big help and will save you significant time on wheel or underbody work
    1997 JDM Custom Order AT VIN 1400005 - Stock
    Heineken's Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Heineken View Post
    No matter what type or brand, it's certainly a big help and will save you significant time on wheel or underbody work
    You're not wrong Heineken.....It's going to be a big help when the driveshafts have to be refurbished/replaced, which I fear isn't that far away.
    Wix