Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starter issue.....

Default Starter issue.....

Got an unusual starter issue that has reared its head a couple of times now...
    Try to start with the key, everything lights up as it should, but starter wont turn, jump pack, still the same issue...

Remove the small start wire from the starter motor, connect that terminal to the battery jump post in the engine compartment fuse box, it turns over instantly.... Ok, its something on the ignition switch side, BUT.....

Turn the key again and it starts up with no issue....

When it was in its 'fault state i tried a different main relay, that made no difference, cycled the auto selector, no difference, the only thing that did it was spinning the starter motor by hotwiring it, and all was well...

Most odd

I shall probably order up a starter relay (the one hidden with the computers above the sub) just for peace of mind... Even thoni checked that during first lockdown!
    Last edited by britlude; 29-03-2021 at 07:06 AM.
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Ignition switch ever changed?
    I've had the same when mine went fishy.

Yup, and got a spare.. Starter motor contacts renewed, starter cut relay (after i found it with help from Kaz) cleaned.....

But odd, as after hotwired to spin the motor it is fine with the ignition switch...

Just need to get a clearer diagram for the starter cut relay part number (awkward on my phone!) got this one, but not convinced its the right one.... 39797-se3-003.. Everything else in that circuut has been renewed...
    Last edited by britlude; 29-03-2021 at 07:45 AM.
    aka Jonathan!!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Dumb question but do the lights dim down when you try to act the starter?

Yup they did, and the voltage dropped on gauge, so i suspected flat battery, tho didnt have the characteristic starter motor clicks normally associated... BUT... I if i then hotwire the motor, isolating any starter circuit, it spins fine.... It then starts up fine on the key straight after, no jump pack, no charger....

So must be a resistance in the starter circuit.... But again odd that its fine after the bypass test
    aka Jonathan!!

Next question: how low does the voltage drop?
    Did you clean the negative terminal behind the battery?
    Does the car stay outside?

Cant remember how much it drops, but battery is nearly new... Batt neg not an issue as it spins fine when hotwired and after hotwiring...

It lives outdoors, yes!

Now suspicions are pointing to the low tension connector on the loom, as its ok after being disturbed...
    aka Jonathan!!

Blog Entries

Because the issue is intermittent and once the starter was hotwired, no more issues until next time, the cause could be within the starter, the external circuit or at both area.

Next time when you can repeatedly re-create the same issue, please measure the voltage at that single spade 250 terminal at the starter while asking someone to hold the IGSW in P3 START position.

This should tell something before hot wiring the solenoid.

Kaz

Yup, thats the annoying thing about intermittent faults, especially at 7am!!!
    aka Jonathan!!

The ignition switch also starts to act intermittent. But as you already changed it I guess other Gremlins are at work outnight. Maybe install a webcam around the car to check if they're coming from Venus or from Mars.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast