Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Starter issue.....

... or maybe it's a neighbor who wanted to buy a car for half price

So it did it again today.... Click from starter but not turning....

Monitored the voltage going to the unplugged starter low current connection, 3.5v when not trying to start, 11v when key turned to start position

Hmmm, odd, guessing the 3.5v is from the nsx start authorisation controllers, or maybe from the aftermarket immobiliser, but that is voltage free contacts...

Next time, i shall have to probe the starter circuit with it still connected to the starter.

Again, a quick 12v to the starter had the engine spinning, reconnect the original wire and its starts on the key as normal....

I shall have to wait again
    Last edited by britlude; 03-04-2021 at 10:42 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

There must be a big resistance from the battery to the starter. It must get hot, whatever it is.

How do the ground cables look like? They're not expensive to change.

i don't touch the main battery cables. only disturb the light solenoid wire in the key start circuit... so the main starter/battery wire is fine, the earths are fine, the issue is with the solenoid wire, BUT unplug it, give the solenoid a hotwire to spins the motor then reconnect the original NSX wire and it'll start no problem.....

quite confusing... i shall piggy back another wire to it tomorrow, so i can take voltages without disturbing anything when it does it again...

and i've got a starter cut relay on order, just for completeness
    Last edited by britlude; 04-04-2021 at 10:14 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Blog Entries

I never tried measuring the voltage at solenoid 250 spade terminal (S terminal) while keeping it disconnected from the starter but interesting that it can drop to 11V while in IGSW P3 START.
    Don't know whether the drop is normal or not. I may try it to learn something new.

On the other hand, it's a solenoid pulling the starter plunger so don't know the minimum requirement but even with much lower power, should be able to push the drive gear towards the flywheel.
    At least, it showed that the components (IGSW, AT Inhibit sw, starter relay, etc) involved on the solenoid side were operating.

When it failed to crank, please try listening to the single click of plunger movement when you turn the IGSW into P3.
    Or, please read the voltage on the dash when in P2 and while trying to crank in P3.

Kaz

Blog Entries

Could it be a mechanical on top of an electrical issue? It somehow reminds me of an old motorbike that needed a blow with a hammer to engage the starter. Afterwards it would start fine.
    Maybe hot wiring gives it just enough power to overcome the mechanical issue but the regular circuit is too weak?

PS: Maybe I'm totally wrong, just an idea that came to my mind.
    1997 JDM Custom Order AT VIN 1400005 - Stock
    Heineken's Garage

Not sure but I think you've already revised your starter with a new internals. They are pretty cheap in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by goldnsx View Post
    Not sure but I think you've already revised your starter with a new internals. They are pretty cheap in the UK.
    Yup, twice now...
    aka Jonathan!!

I wanted thinking the same as Heineken
    As the lights are dimming and pulling down the voltage, could it be something mechanical catching and preventing the starter from spinning?
    Olly

just to round up this thread (hopefully)

replaced the starter inhibitor relay...

IMG_20210508_154543 by NSX Jon, on Flickr

and so far, all seems well
    aka Jonathan!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast