Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The future

I don’t disagree that the things mentioned above will happen. I just think they will take a huge amount of time to happen in any significant way.
    I do think that the necessity for many to work from home during the lockdowns and the serious reduction in retail will move us a step closer to Jonathan’s vision.
    In an attempt to address Graham’s original question. Will the bottom fall out of the classic market. I think that there is a natural wastage of cars that are no longer appreciated, or just too difficult to Maintain. These cars will disappear and become like the vintage cars we see in 1930’s war films.
    However, if the future is electric, perhaps we will all be driving electric cars, and our old classics will be a weekend affair. Perhaps car shows will become more popular because the general automotive world will be so sterile.
    I wonder what will happen to track days? Will they disappear? Or will we run with electric elises?
    Sorry, off on one again. The classic and sports car market is massive. It generates huge amounts of income and nostalgia. It is a connection to our past and the past of our parents and so on. They are a commodity. And as Harry mentions in him YT video. Look at what happened to mechanical watches when quartz watches were introduced.

Cheers.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!

My view is that 2030 will come and go, it will be many more years before every new car sold is an EV - that year was chosen by Boris to suck up to Biden and he knows he'll be long gone by then. However, it will come to pass - I run a Jaguar iPace as my daily and it's brilliant, so if they can sort the charging infrastructure out (look up Gridserve for a taste of what it would need to be like) and make them more affordable, then I'm all for it....in the context of an EV being an alternative powertrain.

However, being developed alongside EVs is autonomy and this will be the big sea change in 'driving fun'. Remember that Tesla with the steering yoke? How we all laughed. But then consider this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSWLPawtIWc and suddenly it all makes more sense. From next year, new models will have to have speed limiters that restrict you to the limit on every section of road and from 2023, on all new cars. New cars will become increasingly less fun and more managed. We'll probably need a Vaccine Passport to drive one!

So my view is that there will always be a nostalgic yearning for 'proper' cars, even more so than there is now.
    Daily driver: Jaguar iPace HSE
    2000 NSX Coupe, Circuit Blue, was W2NSX now V6NSX
    Renault Megane RS Trophy R
    Other interesting mode of transport: Bell JetRanger

I agree with flyingsniffer the prospect of only ever being a passenger in future cars is not something I look forward to. I also think in future we will be buying a service for transport (a smart/autonomous taxi service perhaps) rather than buying a car.

Here is a UK company that is developing a Hydrogen fuelled powertrain based vehicle with an innovative commercial model.

https://riversimple.com/

Sadly it would place high in the ugliest cars of time poll.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingsniffer View Post
    My view is that 2030 will come and go, it will be many more years before every new car sold is an EV - that year was chosen by Boris to suck up to Biden and he knows he'll be long gone by then. However, it will come to pass - I run a Jaguar iPace as my daily and it's brilliant, so if they can sort the charging infrastructure out (look up Gridserve for a taste of what it would need to be like) and make them more affordable, then I'm all for it....in the context of an EV being an alternative powertrain.

However, being developed alongside EVs is autonomy and this will be the big sea change in 'driving fun'. Remember that Tesla with the steering yoke? How we all laughed. But then consider this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSWLPawtIWc and suddenly it all makes more sense. From next year, new models will have to have speed limiters that restrict you to the limit on every section of road and from 2023, on all new cars. New cars will become increasingly less fun and more managed. We'll probably need a Vaccine Passport to drive one!

So my view is that there will always be a nostalgic yearning for 'proper' cars, even more so than there is now.
    [SIGPIC]

www.nsxclub.co.uk

2001 NA2 Imola Orange Pearl/Black Leather (Type S evocation)
    2003 NA2 Long Beach Blue/Black Leather (NSX-R evocation)

Non NSX
    Lotus Carlton 30/250

Previous NSX
    2004 NA2-R Championship White/Red Seats 111/150 personal import April 2016 sold 2020
    NA2 2005 NA2 LBB/Grey Leather last 12 car, 2005 Pearl White/Red Leather last 12 car, 2003-T Black/Black, 2003-T Red/Black
    NA1 1996 Type R White/Black 447/483, 2 x 1991 manual, 1993 manual, 1996-T manual, 2002-T F-matic

The populus is already being weaned off the principle of owning a car, so many are on 3 year rolling lease now, where you dont own it, just give it back and get something else at the end of the term...
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

^ Most people in the UK drive used cars - this will continue to be the case, especially as the lease returns above ramp up.
    I am always grateful that someone in Japan chose and bought the NSX that i have now.
    December '99 GH-NA2 110 series - 6AS62 Type S in Monte Carlo Blue Pearl

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12