Thread: 02 style replica wheels

Default 02 style replica wheels

hello chaps, ive decided to purchase a set of replica 02 style wheels from mita motorsports but i cant quite decide whether to go for 17 inch all round or the 17 inch front and 18 inch rear set up. Anyone got any advice that could help me decide? should i even bother i have the 95 to 2001 style wheels currently.
    Last edited by unclebob; 05-03-2021 at 08:21 AM.

2. Default

Personally I think it's quite easy to make a case for Mita's replica wheels - they're lighter than the 95-01 wheels, they give you a much broader range of tyre choices (particularly over the 16" front wheels), and on the face of it they're reasonably priced (just make sure you've factored shipping costs and import duty into your budget). I already have a set of more modern 17/18" wheels, but if I didn't I'd probably be placing an order myself.

Mita offer four designs of replica wheels, and the choice between them is highly subjective. I think my least favourite is the 7s - to me the design scales a bit oddly when you go up in size.

If you're choosing the 02 wheel design, subject to tyre availability in the appropriate size, I'd go for the 17" all round. According to Mita's listing the 17s are quite a bit lighter than the 18s, and you get more sidewall. Honda chose to keep the facelift cars at 17/17" when they could easily have gone up to 18" on the rear, most likely for these reasons.

thanks yes im thinking along the same lines

Look at what the tyre options are for the 17 vs 18 rears, might help your decision..
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

thanks jonathan...its not so much the tyre size thats a concern....just dont want the 18 to look too big on the car and the other concern is dont want to affect the performance of the car negatively and of course the wheels arent cheap so should i just stick with whats on them and get those repainted?
    Last edited by unclebob; 05-03-2021 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by unclebob View Post
    thanks jonathan...its not so much the tyre size thats a concern....just dont want the 18 to look too big on the car and the other concern is dont want to affect the performance of the car negatively and of course the wheels arent cheap so should i just stick with whats on them and get those repainted?

it's more if you prefer a particular brand and they do both the required sizings in the tyre you prefer... it was an issue at one point, i remember a thread on Prime, that gave a list of manufacturers that could do match sets of tyres for given wheel combinations... found it, not sure if it's up to date.........

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showth...-not-much-left
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Hi unclebob,

What is the suspension set up of your NSX? If you’re stock on your current 16/17 set up you may need to rethink the idea of 17/18 as depending on the offsets you could end with the back end looking a bit 4x4ish unless you plan to change the set-up ... 17’s all round may look ok, but again, may need to consider making changes to keep an OEM look and to maintain driveability.

Are these replicas ok with the stock calipers or will they require spacers to clear?

Good luck and hope you’ve taken these thoughts into account already ..

regards, Paul
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

hi paul. stock suspension set up and the replicas are designed to clear big brakes if neccesary. mine is a 2001 so clearance will be ok. . the mita ones are the same spec as the sos ones...trying to keep it as original as poss but the oem 02 wheels are just like gold dust and sell for silly money even when you can find a set...im probably going to go 17s

thanks for the advice