Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LED headlamp bulbs

Default LED headlamp bulbs

Stolen from another forum.

The upgrading of existing halogen headlamps with HID bulbs has been a MOT fail for a few years now. However upgrading with LED bulbs was OK.
    From 11 January 2021 the MOT rules have been updated to make the fitment of LED bulbs ( in existing halogen units) a fail.

From the revised requirements. .

4. Lamps, reflectors and electrical equipment

4.1.4 Headlamps - Compliance with requirements - Changed sentence from 'Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.' to 'Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.'

Link to Govt website:
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-insp...#section-4-1-4

Blog Entries

Interesting to hear that they explicitly mention specific technologies as a reason for a fail. If someone puts another different light source in there the rules need to change again.
    On the other hand, probably it's just my limited knowledge related to MOT testing
    1997 JDM Custom Order AT VIN 1400005 - Stock
    Heineken's Garage

it all came about after HID bulbs (specifically H4) landed on the aftermarket, people fitted them, thought they were amazingly bright, which they were, and promptly dazzled all oncoming traffic!

as a result, eventually, HID were outlawed as a retrofit in halogen lenses.....

then a load of LEDs arrived on the market, and i suspect through various limitations of LED design meaning beam patterns were less than ideal, it seems these have now been added to the list. in the NSX it's not so much of an issue, as they are projector lenses with an internal shield on the dipped side, but as with most things, others are collateral victims of blanket bans!

oh, well, something to swap out for the MOT....
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

This is so typical, I bought the HID kit a while ago, so I guess I won't be fitting that now!! and I then thought about LED bulbs, but I guess that won;t be happening now either ! oh well, standard bulbs it is then.!

Jim
    1992 NSX, 3.0 Manual, (Was Sebring Silver) Now Kaiser Silver

2018 Jaguar XE, 2.0 R-Sport 250, Loire Blue.

2013 Kawazaki ER6F, Metalic Green.

Blog Entries

Regulation for the retrofitting of HID came into effect in 2018. The exact wording changed for this year.
    LED is new for this year.

For HID, depending on the parts and how you installed it, JDM owners 'may' be able to pass the MOT as the HID became the standard equipment for the later pop-up models and all face lifted ones.

Kaz

I was told my car was too old for the 2018 regs to apply.

Let's see what happens this year...
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson

This was the info I found from DVLA:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6210FB8C-EF29-422D-845E-25267F74EC24.jpeg 
Views:	148 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	14162
    Hope this helps.
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

if it was originally a halogen bulb, it has to be a halogen for the MOT, technically the optics are wrong for anything else.

same for HID and LED, if that's what they came with originally then that's ok.

if you change the entire bulb/reflector/housing , like a modern projector retrofit, then that is ok, as the optics match the bulb.
    aka Jonathan!!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

I also believe it's only for the dipped beam (as that's the pattern that's tested) .... everyone expects to be dazzled by the main beam...
    aka Jonathan!!

Quote Originally Posted by britlude View Post
    if you change the entire bulb/reflector/housing , like a modern projector retrofit, then that is ok, as the optics match the bulb.
    So if, for example, someone was to find a later-model set of JDM headlamps, they would be legal?
    "No man with a good car needs to be justified"

Blue '08 FD2 CTR - big, ITR-sized shoes to fill...
    Yellow '96 NSX 3.0 - oh was it worth the wait!
    Black '99 ITR - well, I had to have another one, the first was so much fun. Miss this one even more than #1...
    Blue '03 S2000 - SOLD, flawed but fun
    Blue '04 Focus TDCi Sport - SOLD, very good fun for a diesel!
    Black '00 ITR - SOLD, still missed
    Red '98 Civic VTi - SOLD, probably still bombproof

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast