Thread: Radio Head Unit - crackling

Default Radio Head Unit - crackling

My Radio head unit is malfunctioning, there is a loud crackling noise which is intermittent and not dependent on the volume setting. It is not changed by changing the inputs and appears in all three main speakers (hard to tell about the sub), and in any case I had the speaker amps refurbished some time ago so I think it is the head unit.

Does anyone know where I can get this serviced please (Kaz do you do this?)

Many thanks

Robin
    1991 Red/Black manual NSX 5 53,000 miles.
    2016 BAC Mono 7,000 miles (just mind blowing, how is it road legal?)

Daily driver 2005 Porsche 997.1 C2S manual (Peak 911 IMHO)

Blog Entries

Hi, Robin.
    Just finished servicing another head unit and I'm testing it using my NSX as we speak.

So, I'm happy to take a look at yours on the bench system if you can take the head unit out of the cabin.
    Under current situation, I'm placing strict conditions until at least some point next year so I'm afraid, it will take extra days/weeks for the service.

In any cases, let's wait for the announcement from the government today and then decide the next step.

If the noise doesn't change regardless of the signal source (radio, CD, tape mode) then it most likely damaged the OP-AMP section at the bottom circuit board or even the flex circuit connector so I may decide not to repair it as it's not cost effective.

Anyway, please send me an email with the spec of your NSX such as year model, country spec and any modifications around the battery, ICE or alternator area.
    My secondary email address is kaznsxcb-002 'at' yahoo.co.jp (one word, no space, please replace 'at' with @, please note the domain ends with jp).

Once I have received the email from you, I'll reply back from my main email address from different domain.
    I have email template with the T&C for the head unit service plus the detail of extra procedure in place for the current situation.

Kaz

Follow up.

Well Kaz and I managed to navigate the lockdown rules and I delivered my Head unit to him, returning a week or so later to pick it up after a very thorough repair (capacitors and some board track repairs I believe.) It's all working 100% again. Really pleased that I've managed to keep my NSX stock looking (I have got a Dension Icelink plus plugged into the CD port behind the headunit, connected to a concealed bluetooth receiver so I can stream audio from my iPhone as well as a Smartenna module in the trunk so that the aerial stays down unless I switch to FM radio mode mind.)

I also discovered that unlike my BMW 650i, Honda used the same sized screws for all of the dashboard fixings which makes it so much easier to put back together properly (BMW use about 4 different sizes of fixings and you have to remember what goes where which is a real PITA!)

A fantastic service, thank you Kaz.

Robin
    1991 Red/Black manual NSX 5 53,000 miles.
    2016 BAC Mono 7,000 miles (just mind blowing, how is it road legal?)

Daily driver 2005 Porsche 997.1 C2S manual (Peak 911 IMHO)

Blog Entries

Hi, Robin. Thank you for the mention.

Your head unit was one of the biggest challenge and I have never removed/replaced so many components from these circuit boards in my life.

Fortunately or unfortunately, at that time, due to my injury, I couldn't carry out any mechanical services on the NSX for 3 - 4 weeks so I had all the time just for your head unit.
    Otherwise, I would have decided not to proceed any further after the initial bench testing as it was not cost effective for both of us.

After spending weeks trying to find the cause of issue, replacing so many components, even using the different installation method and test driving over 60miles using my NSX, really happy with the result.
    Learnt many new things during the process as well.

Hope you will enjoy your ICE for many years.

Kaz

Blog Entries

During my civil service work (about 20 years ago) I cut-off the tip of my index finger - it was a long and painful time of healing. Because fingers are our everyday tool as humans we'll be constantly reminded of such injuries even after the pain and numbness is gone. It's good to hear you're getting better, Kaz. Let me wish you a speedy recovery.
    1997 JDM Custom Order AT VIN 1400005 - Stock
    Heineken's Garage