Thread: Dashboard lights only on with headlights

Default Dashboard lights only on with headlights

Hi, my car seems to have lost the light illumination in the gauge cluster as well as the key surround. The dash lights up when the headlights are turned on but not when they are off. I presume that this is a fuse rather than bulb issue. Could anyone please point me in the direction of which fuse to replace? The variable brightness know works but again only when the headlights are on.

Many thanks

Robin
    1991 Red/Black manual NSX 5 53,000 miles.
    2016 BAC Mono 7,000 miles (just mind blowing, how is it road legal?)

Daily driver 2005 Porsche 997.1 C2S manual (Peak 911 IMHO)

Blog Entries

Hi, Robin.
    Not sure I fully understood your question because when I first read your post, it sounded as if that's normal apart from the illumination ring around the IG key.

For the gauge cluster, may help if you can take video or photo with headlight On as well as Off.
    Could you confirm that you are not using any LED bulbs in the gauge?

For the key illumination, I have seen issue simple as dead light bulb, poor bulb contact against the circuit board or bit more complicated and related to the faulty ICU (Integrated Control Unit).

When you open the driver door, does the driver footwell area light up?
    I think all year models and country spec lights up that area when you open the driver door.

Obviously, you won't see this if the bulb is dead or removed.
    You can see the bulb/lens by simply looking at the panel under the steering just above your right knee.

After closing the driver door, the light should stay on at full for a short period and then gradually dim until it becomes completely Off.
    This is controlled by the ICU.

The illumination around the key ring also follows the above light up and gradual dimming if the bulb is not dead.
    Most of the time, issue was not related to the ICU and more of bulb related.

Not exactly the same but other owners experienced issue with the ICU in the form of rear defogger not working, wiper doesn't operate when in variable intermittent cycle mode.

Kaz

Thank you Kaz, strangely it all seems to be working now, including the ignition ring and puddle lights which were definitely off before! So I will just have to keep an eye on it.

May I ask you about another issue with the radio head unit? I will post it separately so that the title reflects the content.

Thank you very much

Robin

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz-kzukNA1 View Post
    Hi, Robin.
    Not sure I fully understood your question because when I first read your post, it sounded as if that's normal apart from the illumination ring around the IG key.

For the gauge cluster, may help if you can take video or photo with headlight On as well as Off.
    Could you confirm that you are not using any LED bulbs in the gauge?

For the key illumination, I have seen issue simple as dead light bulb, poor bulb contact against the circuit board or bit more complicated and related to the faulty ICU (Integrated Control Unit).

When you open the driver door, does the driver footwell area light up?
    I think all year models and country spec lights up that area when you open the driver door.

Obviously, you won't see this if the bulb is dead or removed.
    You can see the bulb/lens by simply looking at the panel under the steering just above your right knee.

After closing the driver door, the light should stay on at full for a short period and then gradually dim until it becomes completely Off.
    This is controlled by the ICU.

The illumination around the key ring also follows the above light up and gradual dimming if the bulb is not dead.
    Most of the time, issue was not related to the ICU and more of bulb related.

Not exactly the same but other owners experienced issue with the ICU in the form of rear defogger not working, wiper doesn't operate when in variable intermittent cycle mode.

Kaz
    1991 Red/Black manual NSX 5 53,000 miles.
    2016 BAC Mono 7,000 miles (just mind blowing, how is it road legal?)

Daily driver 2005 Porsche 997.1 C2S manual (Peak 911 IMHO)