Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Front bumper removal question

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Surfer View Post
    No images attached Ian.

SS
    That's really not very helpful of me...thank you SS!

This one:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200708_063125.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	239.1 KB 
ID:	13955
    2001 3.2 Circuit Blue Coupe with pop-ups!

"If you want to argue that The Best Car in the World is a supercar, go ahead. But there is only one that makes the grade. Only one that's built properly.
    Gordon Murray knows.
    Rowan Atkinson knows.
    It's the Honda NSX."
    (J. Clarkson)

Blog Entries

That's the holder for the front end of the radiator air duct (red circle) to the front bumper lower skirt.

The lower skirt/valance: blue
    The duct: yellow

If using OEM, they are the same bolt and clip nut used at the front lip spoiler.
    You just insert the clip nut in the red arrow direction.

However, if you look at the same parts used at the front lip spoiler, you may notice that majority of them are heavily rusted.
    Over the time, they are exposed to all sorts of debris, salt, heat, etc as being so close to the road surface and easily sears off when trying to remove next time.

So, please apply some protection coating if using OEM bolt/nut or go with the aftermarket bolt + OEM clip nut or aftermarket solution for both.

Kaz

3. 08-07-2020, 01:39 PM

Thanks Kaz...fantastic advice as ever.

Could you, or anyone else here, link any suitable non-oem fittings please?

Last edited by WhyOne?; 08-07-2020 at 02:12 PM.

I have some spares Ian. You could pop round tomorrow to collect if you like?

Quote Originally Posted by WhyOne? View Post

Hi Simon. Thars very kind - thank you.

Would 7ish tomorrow evening work ok for you?

That works for me Ian. See you then.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WhyOne? View Post
    While the bolt shape is different from the OEM one, should not matter for this specific purpose.

The size of the clip and the centre of the mating thread/nut position are almost exactly the same as the OEM one.
    Since the location used allows fair amount of adjustment on positioning so it should be fine.

There are lots of similar listings on ebay so I may just get hold of one and replace the ones at my front lip spoiler for testing.
    Thank you for sharing.

Kaz

Another front bumper related question if I may please?

When the bumper was removed from my car, the right side 'bumper lower extension' (71172-SL0-000) was broken - see 1st picture. Along with some a/c parts, a shiny new one arrived from Japan this morning.

However, I can't for the life of me work out how the right side extension fits to the bumper beam.

The left and right extension pieces are asymmetrical - the left side remained on the bumper (see second picture, extension lightly attached).

I imagined it would just be a simple case of attaching the right hand part on the other side....if this is the case, it should bolt into the hole I've arrowed in the 3rd picture, but the options for doing this just don't look right! (

I currently don't have access to the rest of the car for reference so any guidance would be most welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	423.3 KB 
ID:	13984   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	441.7 KB 
ID:	13985   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	449.3 KB 
ID:	13986  
    2001 3.2 Circuit Blue Coupe with pop-ups!

"If you want to argue that The Best Car in the World is a supercar, go ahead. But there is only one that makes the grade. Only one that's built properly.
    Gordon Murray knows.
    Rowan Atkinson knows.
    It's the Honda NSX."
    (J. Clarkson)

Blog Entries

May be able to take photo later but not now.
    Hope you can understand my poor description.

The quick advice is, forget about the blue arrow (wrong for the R-side), imagine you have L-side installed as in your 2nd photo, place the R-side bracket next to it with both spring nuts at the same height and both nut positioned towards the front of the car.
    In the 2nd photo, the spring nut on the L-side is inserted from the front towards the rear of the car.
    In order to achieve the above condition, the R-side bracket has to be positioned in a way with its spring nut inserted from the rearend towards the front of the car, opposite to the L-side.

May look asymmetrical but they are not.

As in your 2nd photo, the opening/concaved section of the plastic bracket (hidden in this photo) is facing forward for the L-side.
    However, for the R-side, it's the opposite and the opening/concaved section will face the rearend.

The L-side is fixed by the horizontal bolt screwed in from the rear to the front (as in your 2nd photo) and thus, don't forget to install it before setting the bumper beam on the body side.

If you imagine the 3rd photo was taken for the L-side, the blue arrow bolt hole position is correct for the L-side but not for the R-one.

For the R-side, the bolt hole is not at the blue arrow.
    It's vertical direction from the bottom to the top at the tow hook.
    In fact, just for the R-side, you can leave it on the body side and not on the bumper or not even install it until the very end.

Kaz
    Last edited by Kaz-kzukNA1; 29-07-2020 at 02:20 PM. Reason: extra info, clarification

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast