Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gauge Cluster Calibrator

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by goldnsx View Post
    When I did my gauge cluster years ago I did not recalibrate it, just swapped the caps for new ones and didn't notice any difference before/after. But I did it before it failed...
    But it good to know that it's possible to recalibrate it with a tool.

The displayed values on my cluster were slightly too high when checking and spot-on after a minimal calibration.
    I'm looking forward to the results after exchanging the caps, too.
    1997 JDM Custom Order AT VIN 1400005 - Stock
    Heineken's Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Heineken View Post
    There are certainly options for a little extra Bling but probably won't increase usability
    Maybe adding a "long-press" demo-mode in the future .. who knows .. ?
    I was thinking more along the lines of once the calibration process has been carried out, it would be a nice satisfying double check for it to sequence automatically between the 1000's rpm levels or 10/20mph on the speedo....

It'll also be interesting how much changing the electrolytic caps makes on the calibration, or if they are just for power rail smoothing and heavy duty signal conditioning
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

it's great that you wanted to share the idea on the forum and shared the documentation.
    Congratulations!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by britlude View Post
    I was thinking more along the lines of once the calibration process has been carried out, it would be a nice satisfying double check for it to sequence automatically between the 1000's rpm levels or 10/20mph on the speedo....

It'll also be interesting how much changing the electrolytic caps makes on the calibration, or if they are just for power rail smoothing and heavy duty signal conditioning

Once the caps are exchanged, maybe some of these questions can be answered.
    One large cap is very likely for stabilization, most of the others seem to be part of the pulse-to-voltage converters that are used to drive the dials. The remaining ones could be related to the timing of some of the warning lamps (brake light circuit), maybe?

To bad we don't have the full schematics. That would be a nice reverse engineering job but if we start with that my caps will probably be never exchanged ..
    Last edited by Heineken; 15-06-2020 at 08:08 PM. Reason: typos
    Heineken's Garage

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ozon02 View Post
    it's great that you wanted to share the idea on the forum and shared the documentation.
    Congratulations!!!

Thanks, hopefully it's going to be helpful
    Heineken's Garage

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12