Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: external door handle

Default external door handle

Hi,

The external door handle on the drivers door is no longer opening the door.

I have taken off the door panel and it looks like the plastic connector where the wire running vertically down from the handle is broken and not attached properly to the door lock. I have gone through the old threads and also looked at the parts diagram here:-

https://www.parts-honda.uk/honda-car...__5310/6/23890

I think Kaz said that the connector is made up of several parts so would that be parts numbered 1 and 9 on the diagram, the bush and the holder? I have not found the remains of multiple parts in the bottom of the door to give me a clue.

Also, the diagram would imply that the wire is pushed into the slot in the door lock from the rear but mine was in from the front. I am wondering if it was put together incorrectly when a previous owner was in the door.

Can anyone cast and light on which parts I need/
    Where is the best place in the UK to get them?
    and which side is the rod inserted from?

Regards,

Andy

if i remember right, the rod/bar that drops down from the handle mechanism (looks like is has got a hex threaded adjuster half way down it) has a right angle bend at the end. this pushes into a bush in the door lock mechanism.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/dDAAA...T7/s-l1600.jpg

this is just a snap push fit arrangement, think there's a radial groove in the end of the rod/bar that snaps into the bush an keeps it all located.... or pushes in, and then you rotate the bush to clip over the wire... been a while!!

the control rod bottom right to middle has the style of clip on the left end...

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/Z9AAA...Ks/s-l1600.jpg

can't find the pics i'm looking for, and not taking mine apart to take pix!!!!
    Last edited by britlude; 09-06-2020 at 01:46 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Last edited by britlude; 09-06-2020 at 01:54 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Quote Originally Posted by britlude View Post
    Thank-you, that answers one part of the problem. it goes in from the front.

I have the slightly mangled remains of the white plastic bush that is on the bottom 90 degree bent part of the rod.

If I understand you correctly, it doesn't clip into anything on the rear side of the locking mechanism slot, it is just fitted onto the rod and popped into the slot?

Regards,

Andy

The plastic bush goes into the door lock mechanism, then the rod pushes into it... no clips on the back, you wouldn't get to them anyway, the end of the rod push-clips in...

To get the 2 apart the rod comes out leaving the bush in place....
    Last edited by britlude; 09-06-2020 at 04:04 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

Blog Entries

Hi, Andy.

As britlude suggested, the rod is inserted from the front towards the rear.

Unless you have to, you really don't want removing the rear sash as you may create another issue such as wind noise, water seeping into the cabin, etc.

Please check the threaded section of the rod.

Sometimes, it gets loose and disconnected or the adjustment no longer suitable that it puts extra stress on the plastic bush/fastener that it will pop out or cause breakage resulting in the same issue as yours.

The rod goes into the upper plastic fastener.

The lower one is for the rod from the external key cyl hole.

This is the plastic fastener used for the rear sash rod.

Always keep spare when working on the rear sash as it's so easy for the yellow ring to fly away when inserting the rod back in place.

I normally use combination of two long nose slightly angled pliers to create leverage when dealing with this rod.

Kaz

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz-kzukNA1 View Post

Hi, Andy.

As britlude suggested, the rod is inserted from the front towards the rear.

Unless you have to, you really don't want removing the rear sash as you may create another issue such as wind noise, water seeping into the cabin, etc.

Please check the threaded section of the rod.

Sometimes, it gets loose and disconnected or the adjustment no longer suitable that it puts extra stress on the plastic bush/fastener that it will pop out or cause breakage resulting in the same issue as yours.

The rod goes into the upper plastic fastener.

The lower one is for the rod from the external key cyl hole.

This is the plastic fastener used for the rear sash rod.

Always keep spare when working on the rear sash as it's so easy for the yellow ring to fly away when inserting the rod back in place.

I normally use combination of two long nose slightly angled pliers to create leverage when dealing with this rod.

Kaz
    Thank you both, it is the rod into the white plastic bush in the photo above that has come out with the (slightly mangled) bush still on the rod.

I am slightly confused with the photograph of the replacement part Kaz. From the parts diagram in my initial post, I thought part 04721-SL0-000 is the white upper fitting that I need. As you say, the parts visible in the photograph are showing the yellow washer from the lower fitting. Are both upper and lower fitting included in the part number or are they in the bag below and that is the part number I need to order?

Sorry to be a pain here but I am guessing I have to order this from my local Honda dealer and I would like to get the correct part.

I have no experience with dealers in this country having lived the last 30 years in Asia. I am hoping that they will be more helpful than my Honda dealer in Brunei was, they would not even sell me spare parts as they hadn't supplied the car.

Regards,

Andy

Blog Entries

Hi, Andy.
    Most likely, I misunderstood your post and we are very likely to be talking about different parts.
    Since you have the door card off, any chance you can take a photo of the ' WHITE plastic bush ' and mark it using editing tool because the rear sash rod only connects to the above 04721-SL0-000?
    Possibly you are referring to the parts located on the linkage that is operated when the rear sash rod operated.

Kaz

Sorry Kaz, I can't work out how to upload the photo.

The bush I refer to is the white one just to the left of the EO sticker, in the upper of the two slots. On your photo is has no rod inserted in it.

It is the one with the threaded rod.

Regards,

Andy

the one beside the EO sticker and the one with the yellow bit are the same bush, just the other way around...

if you look on the parts diagram/list you posted, note that 2 are required per door....

here's the (usually overpriced) Lings page....

https://www.lingshondaparts.com/part...ckref/B__5310/
    Last edited by britlude; 09-06-2020 at 08:30 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast