Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Space-saver replacement

Default Space-saver replacement

A company on e-bay selling space saver wheels has Honda Civic 15 inch space-savers for around £60 and says they fit an NSX. Has anyone tried these, and do they fit OK in the NSX wheel carrier? They are not very glamorous but I suppose they are only for dire emergencies!

2. Default

I’m not sure if the advertised Civic wheel would fit, but if you can confirm the tyre spec you may be able to swap it over.

If you can find a Vredestein Space Master 165-15 tyre, it will happily replace the standard space saver on the original NSX space saver wheel. Has been documented several times here and on NSXPrime. There will
    be a small increase in stowed diameter, but it will still fit fine.

If the Civic spares are fitted with that tyre then the tyre will
    be fine for a swap; however bear in mind that Mercedes also use the Space Master 165-15 for their space savers and you may be able to find one of those on eBay for less.

Are the civic ones a collapsible spare??? If not they won't store in the front, and might not be tall enough on the car..... Might be worth double checking the overall diameter of the tyre
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

If you have to use the space saver wheel, what do you do with the wheel you've taken off?

I think it fits in the boot- although I haven’t tried it !!

Good point re collapsible wheel- it might fit the studs but won’t fit in the wheel carrier. I will look for a tyre to go on the existing rim.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    If you have to use the space saver wheel, what do you do with the wheel you've taken off?
    If you look in the left side of the boot, you can see that there’s a curved cut-out in the front wall to allow the full rolling diameter of the rear wheel.

I’ve never tried to put a rear wheel in there - I’m not actually sure it’d close on a 245-width rear tyre - but the thought was there from the beginning.

Let's hope the boot isn't full of other stuff. I guess the ardent NSXer would give the wife the train fair home and put the wheel on the passenger seat.
    I don't carry the spare, I just have a couple of the spray cans that inflate the tyre with gunk. If the rim is damaged badly enough that the tyre won't hold air, then it's the breakdown service and a trailer!!

I bought a Mercedes spare wheel with collapsible tyre, had a local tyre factor swap it over onto the NSX rim. My local tyre guy likes a challenge, a few others wouldn't touch it.

I also have a mercedes collapsible spare..Duncan on here made me a spacer for it to fit so no need for removal of tyre to fit on to the NSX spare rim...can take a pic over the weekend if you like.
    the Mercedes spare fits in the same as the NSX spare in the Frunk

SS
    Lexus LC500h.......New Daily run around with some saving the Planet thoughts
    Black/black 95 NSX NA with mk1 Ary exhaust....Now sold
    Red/Black 91 NSX treasure.....FI No more NA
    Silver/Pearl White/Black 1993 NSX 3.0 5 MT NSX ZAZ R-GT Twin Scroll Turbo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast