Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: my corona virus lockdown thread.....

Next up is refit the number plate lights….. however….

IMG_20200408_163634 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

Yes, minging, and not sure they actually gave out any light!!!

Lenses taken off, after cutting a slit into the screw to actually undo it….

IMG_20200408_164249 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

Cleaned and stuck back together, the one already broken broke into 3, the other, already cracked broke too when they were washed!
    IMG_20200408_171601 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

Better, but still needed to be attacked with a dremel to polish the last of the grime inside!

Holders cleaned up ok, the rust scraped off and rust treated….. I did have to spend some time reconstructing the internal shield, as they had got a bit fragile and crumbly over the years!

IMG_20200408_171554 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

Somewhat better now!

2020-04-09_09-09-36 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

I do have new brackets coming, as they are available and not too silly priced! still £12.86 each delivered, but better than hours fettling in the garage!
    Last edited by britlude; 09-04-2020 at 08:58 AM.
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Today’s tasks started with flatting back the bumper with 2000 grit wet and dry paper (always use it wet, and with soap if it’s really fine paper!) and then polishing it back up to a glossy finish…

IMG_20200409_122045 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

Yup, that’s shiny…

IMG_20200409_121247 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

Now..... inside the arch/bumper area, it’s very open…..

2020-04-09_06-23-00 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

That’s my shiny new bumper beam….

IMG_20200409_145640 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

And the open ends of the beam… quite why they kept this open, to scoop in any mud and debris spat up from the wheels, I’ll never know….

IMG_20200409_145627 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

So a little addition was cut out of thick rubber matting…..

IMG_20200409_151700 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

And the void given an extra bit of protection, mounted on the existing threads of the bumper mounts....

IMG_20200409_153119 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

There is a plastic shield to stop debris/mud going up into the wing void (sort of), but nothing in the bumper area….. I’m sure the NSX engineers missed a trick, even adding to the wing liner could have closed this area neatly….. I mean, look in the front wheel arch, it’s obvious they like making complicated mouldings!!!!

oh, of course, the pitch of the 2 mounting holes for the number plate are different on the new bumper beam, and the old non-hingeing hinged JDM original... so a modified mounting plate had to be made up!!!

Anyhoo, another job jobbed!!! Might have a rest tomorrow!!!
    Last edited by britlude; 09-04-2020 at 05:41 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Nice job Jonathan 👏
    1996 Green NSX-T manual

instead of my usual bank holiday friday of a car show at Wheelsday (the traditional season opener for me) i spent it polishing..... and had the car battery on charge, 2 weeks of just sitting there doesn't do it any good!

so a machine polish with farecla G10, stronger G3 on any scratches i found, then a machine glaze, followed by 3 rounds of 'finish first' polishy stuff....

some pix, pretty much as good as it's going to look with the current paint!!!

IMG_20200410_141649 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

IMG_20200410_195302 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

IMG_20200410_195353 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

IMG_20200411_104336 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

and an arty shot with morning dew.....

IMG_20200411_092745 by jon sutherland, on Flickr
    aka Jonathan!!

Super shiny Jon!
    Had a heart attack when I saw the first pic, I thought you'd pranged the OSF....should really have my glasses on!

I had my glasses on but still fell on the optical illusion. Well done.

I adore this NSX for the fact its a living project and yet a daily driver ... and as always, I’m in admiration of the skills you possess to keep it looking many years younger than the calendar or miles would have you believe, if only we were closer I could keep you busy ... take are, stay safe Jonathan, rgds Paul
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Ta muchly! And I find the issues before everyone else has to!!!!
    aka Jonathan!!

another tarty pic before we continue....

IMG_20200429_084109 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

next up, change the front splitter..... it was getting tired, and it takes a real effort to get it damaged on the top edge!!!

IMG_20200418_144335 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

anyhoo... new one on..... pretty now....

IMG_20200418_151802 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

and just to be awkward, there was a call on faceache for a used splitter for an NSX that was missing one..... awkward as the call went out the day after i'd chopped it into small pieces, after it was getting in the way in the garage!!! typical!!

some bits turned up from Christian at ATR,

IMG_20200502_094133 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

(i had ordered new metal bracket bits, but they turned out to be on back order from honda, ETA July!!!) so complete units instead gets me new lenses too, so not all bad!

a quick clean and tidy up,

IMG_20200502_175643 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

and they were ready to go on.... (made the ones that had been cleaned up look a tad poor!!!!)

IMG_20200503_131712 by jon sutherland, on Flickr
    aka Jonathan!!

another niggle was the door panel/card tab debacle.... i'd tried a couple of methods to repair them, and whilst it lasted a while, it was never actually fixed sufficiently, so with petrol money saved this year, i treated myself to a new set of tabs... it was a case of right place at the right time to bag these!!!

IMG_20200507_114826 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

these were swapped on, and the door cards refitted..... well, would have been if one of the old mounting screws, with a broken tab hadn't decided to go round in the plastic insert.... by which i mean the insert had gone round with the screw!!! after a faff,i got it out, but then needed an insert... step forward the 3d printer (that i'm still trying to get to grips with!) and a quick design and print, i have a replacement insert or 3.....

IMG_20200507_144354 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

another favorite for the NSX is this bit....

IMG_20200506_174854 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

and this....

IMG_20200506_174859 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

unfortunately this was the final one..... so out with the printer again, i have......

IMG_20200506_174927 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

i then had to take 2mm off the length of the base, to allow space for the replacement base thickness, and gorilla glued them on!!!! its not perfect but better than nothing, and it was printed in 'draft' not 'fine'... but as no one is going to see it!!!!

2020-05-07_07-54-12 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

anyhoo, i took out the evil metal clips of evilness and flattened the evil spikes so it wasn't so viciously held..... seems to do the trick!!!!
    aka Jonathan!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast