Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: my corona virus lockdown thread.....

Excellent use of the 3D printer Jon. Here's a photo of my 3D printed door handle, (thought I'd posted a photo before but couldn't find a post). It's been on the car for 2 years now & was only intended as a prototype, hence why I never painted it, with the intention of getting some 3D printed in carbon-fibre but it's lasting well, so no plans at the moment to replace it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0790.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	13917

Name:	IMAG0792.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	13918

Name:	IMAG0794.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	13919
    Wix

blimey, bet that took some modelling!!!! and makes my print look even poorer!!! lol
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

As you may remember, or probably not, when I replaced my rusty shockers, I swapped in replacement units…. But did note at the time that the bump stops were less than ideal….

IMG_20180608_161911 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

So it was always the plan to fit new when the opportunity arose…. I also wanted to swap back the old springs, as I’d noted they were a different colour code on them, and they seemed softer in the real world…. So new rubbers were ordered, guess where from….

IMG_20200529_162302 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

Great service from Christian, competitive pricing and quick delivery!

I stripped the old springs off the shockers, and started the clean/restoration…. Stripped, wire brushed,

IMG_20200524_111633 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

rust stabilised, and then painted with some flex agent to prevent flaking…..

IMG_20200526_093039 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

Suspension unit off the car and disassembled….

IMG_20200530_134133 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

Shiny new bump stop on…

IMG_20200530_134256 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

here's the replacement and the original... visually identical, different colour coding, can't measure the wire thickness because of age, paint, etc!!! and no kit to do a compression/weight check! and there's nothing on the interweb about the colour codes, apart from various forum posts asking the significance of the colour codes... seems no-one knows!!!!!

IMG_20200530_134137 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

and reassemble!!!!

2020-06-05_10-41-35 by jon sutherland, on Flickr
    Last edited by britlude; 05-06-2020 at 10:05 AM.
    aka Jonathan!!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Anyhoo, repeat for the rear…..one side was ok, the other….

IMG_20200531_203406 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

Spring comparison….. the marking follow the same pattern….

IMG_20200531_201303 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

And after a struggle, back in!!!!

IMG_20200601_203830 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

To get them back in I took out the antiroll bar, to get a bit more space, so de-rusted and painted that too….

IMG_20200602_103821 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

the drop links still had the yellow factory marks on the nuts/bar,so i suspect they are the originals, that'll explain why the nuts didn't want to undo!!!! hence why they were painted in situ!

While that was out, I treated the steel mounting plates…. A light sand blast to derust and a powder coat….
    IMG_20200602_115834 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

2020-06-05_10-47-37 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

All looking a bit healthier!!!

IMG_20200602_142826 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

yes, i did recoat the handbrake cable brackets black!
    aka Jonathan!!

over the course of lockdown and a for a couple of weeks before, the car was having a starting issue... turn the key and i'll hear various clicks around the car from the drivers seat, but not turn over.... cycle a few times and it'll start... ignition switch electrics replaced, (as i had one in stock and it's the usual cause) and it still occurred..... so as i previously mentioned, i cleaned the starter contacts and ordered a new overhaul kit just in case..... as it's a relatively straight forward job, out came the starter motor....

IMG_20200604_170915 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

... for anyone that doesn't know what a jdm starter looks like!

it was then stripped of it's high current contactor and the bits compared...

IMG_20200604_171728 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

IMG_20200604_171226 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

some erosion as expected, but nothing too severe..... anyway, all reassembled and put back in the car.....

turn the key... click.... again, click........ again, turns over started fine.... so pretty much the same symptom... that was yesterday.....

today i shall go and hotwire the starter direct to make sure that is ok, but looks like i've got to go looking for the secret hidden starter relay somewhere behind the glovebox, the only piece of the jigsaw never changed!!!!!!!

why hide one relay when there are empty spaces under the bonnet with all the other relays, i will never know!!!

edit..... just hotwired the starter and it turned the engine instantly, so all good there..... tried the key, and that was ok too... strange, as yesterday it stuttered and i haven't charged the battery... so solenoid low current connection?

i'll hunt down the starter relay anyway, but just to make things awkward, my electrical troubleshooting manual is for a LHD car, so the pictures of component locations are not necessarily accurate, or simply reversed!
    Last edited by britlude; 05-06-2020 at 04:50 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

disappointingly not there....
    2020-06-05_01-48-19 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

even mirrored for RHD, i have a big empty space... the search continues! probably have to disconnect the low current terminal on the starter and follow the clicking noise with the key turn....
    aka Jonathan!!

after more searching and a well timed helping hint from Kaz....

IMG-20200605-WA0000 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

i had an extra clue to find the illusive relay, even disconnecting the starter and interior fuse 7 to stop all the other starter circuit clicks to help isolate the relay..... there it is, hiding above the sub speaker....

IMG_20200605_144232 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

of course, it's bolted on, so the sub has to come out to get to it...

IMG_20200605_144601 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

so,it came out, stripped, tested and the contacts given a quick clean...
    IMG_20200605_145334 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

some grime come off the contacts, just drawing a piece of paper through the lightly closed contacts.... anyhoo, all back together between showers, and the car seems to be behaving as it should.... hopefully that's that sorted then!

and we now know, because it's not mentioned anywhere on the internet, that the starter cut relay on a JDM RHD car is on the bottom of the passenger footwell computer rack, just above the sub speaker!!!!
    aka Jonathan!!

Blog Entries

Thanks, that information might come handy at some point in time
    1997 JDM Custom Order AT VIN 1400005 - Stock
    Heineken's Garage

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123