Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: my corona virus lockdown thread.....

Default my corona virus lockdown thread.....

Hi all, hope you are all keeping safe during these unusual times….. I can’t work from home and work has shutdown, so I’m having to find things to fill my time, and there’s an NSX to do list that has been sitting around for a while…..

First up was to remove the centre console, and redo the paint, it had lifted in a couple of places and a little aged, so out it came and a coat of paint added. Of course shops unavailable, so I made a colour out of several pots I had spare in the garage and went from there…..

While it was out, the volume knob had been intermittent on my after market stereo, so while I had access, that was popped out, stripped, repaired, rebuilt and re-installed… no frustrating volume control now!!! That’s only been a year or so!!!!

Anyhoo, while the centre console was out, the handbrake cover was tweaked to get the fit a little tighter and it all went back together!

IMG_20200329_121238 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

Colour turned out quite nice

This is how it compared to the first green from the door inserts….

IMG_20200330_123418 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

pretty good colour

So, these too were flatted back, primed, coloured and lacquered….
    IMG_20200404_115935 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

In the sun to cook, making the most of the weather!

IMG_20200404_122401 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

Refit all the door panel gubbins….

IMG_20200405_113154 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

And back in…. looking nice!

IMG_20200405_154525 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

I’ve not refitted the trims behind the door handle, as I’m going to sort the broken tabs (as they usually are) later, either repair, or replace, depending how rich I feel!
    Last edited by britlude; 06-04-2020 at 08:23 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

I did treat myself to new sill trims and pads, mine have been resurfaced with plasticoat several times, and now, as they are looking terrible I treated myself to some new ones….
    Of course, I changed my carpet colour, and Honda don’t do green carpet, so a tweak was needed!

IMG_20200329_214517 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

And spring arrived, so a quick wash and the summer wheels went on….

IMG_20200405_154920 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

If I ever get to use them!!!!
    aka Jonathan!!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Next on the list, is the rear bumper has some paint cracks and issues, so I wanted to paint it…. after investigating, I decided to remove it…. First up, after researching all the ‘how to remove an NSX bumper’ threads, it’s straight forward…..

.....however, mine had other ideas…..

Mine has a number plate holder that is connected by 4 threads to the chassis, not the bumper beam…..

IMG_20200406_114209 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

This wraps around the bumper beam so has to move out of the way to allow removal….. 28 years in one position meant this thought otherwise….. so snips required….
    Leaving me this once the bumper was off….

IMG_20200406_115447 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

And how it should sit if complete…

IMG_20200406_115524 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

It swings and hooks into the bumper to latch it in place…. If it would swing… alas no, so they will be coming off…. The ‘nuts’ on the threads have no shape, not corroded, just round…. Ok, no prob, there’s obviously screw heads inside the boot…… no, they are hooked into a spot welded bar, not yet worked out how! Guessing they slide in from the side but nothing is moving yet! There might be an angle grinder involved shortly!!!!

So… bumper off…..

IMG_20200406_115606 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

Hmmm… that’s a bit crusty! Before you panic, bear in mind my car is used daily year round and lives outside……

Now you can panic!!!!

IMG_20200406_123105 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

IMG_20200406_123118 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

Yup, that’s crusty! And the reason I wanted to get the bumper off….. the replacement beam has the numberplate gubbins already welded on, so I don’t need the non-swivelling swivelling bracket…..

So bumper prep started….

IMG_20200406_134122 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

IMG_20200406_134116 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

IMG_20200406_134111 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

I know that I can split the bumper into 2 halves to make it easier, but you haven’t seen the state of the fixings, and they definitely won’t want to move, so some masking will be necessary!

Fortunately I have sufficient of the correct mixed colour to do the job!!!
    aka Jonathan!!

you are good at painting, congratulations !!!
    and how do you deal with lamination?
    maybe you can make a bumper bracket with CF or Carbon
    Those available from well-known sellers are expensive

We shall see once I've painted it!!!!

As for lamination, I have had my moments, but in this case I'll stick with the honda bit!!! I'll add some underseal on it for a bit more longevity!!!!
    aka Jonathan!!

As the weather forecasters said, today was a good weather day! So taking advantage, garage space was cleared ready for painting….

The patches where paint had rubbed through were given a quick treatment of plastic paint adhesion promoter and the areas first blown in with some barrier coat…

IMG_20200407_101712 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

The rest soon following with a couple of full coats, suitable drying time in the sun and flatting in between coats!

IMG_20200407_103657 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

Then the first coats of colour.....

IMG_20200407_131247 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

Being base coat pearl, you can never be completely sure of the colour match, as the pearl looks lighter without lacquer…. Again, after appropriate drying time another 2 coats went on, being careful not to get any ‘dry’ edges to the paint…. That’s when colours DO change as the particles don’t have time to settle, and it can end up more ‘sparkly’….

Back into the garage for 4 coats of lacquer… I had to do this in the garage, as although it was calm and warm out, with the insects not too active, there are 2 silver birch trees dumping clouds of pollen!

IMG_20200407_141909 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

Once the paint surface had ‘skinned’ and the spray test sample was dry to the touch I could transfer it outside to let the sun do its thing!

IMG_20200407_151713 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

De-masked the bottom half of the bumper, and the colour match is pretty much there…. New on the left, old paint on the right….

IMG_20200407_152540 by jon
    sutherland
    , on Flickr

the paint finish will get a bit 'orange peel' because of this particular lacquer (its not supposed to, but just does with me!) so flatting and polish will be in order once its had some time to cure..... the compromise of having a quicker cure time, rather than a surface that's sticky like literal fly-paper for 3 hours!!! if only i had a spray booth!

anyhoo, waiting for it to cure for a couple of days means i can get on with the bumper bar..... think i'm going to take the rear lights off, fit the bumper bar... then i can fit the bumper cover separately, and not have 10 bolts to line up in one go, but only 4! I'd rather not be fighting with a heavy bumper assembly with fresh paint!
    aka Jonathan!!

The color match is ok.
    My paint pro once said that all paints have some kind of orange peal by default. The finish is a result of polishing (or even sanding). He said he likes the paint to be soft for that step but I don't know how long to wait. The paint finally settles after some weeks/months. Repolishing might be needed.

With 2k two part paint it's typically paint one day, polish the next, so I shall probably give this one 48hr as it's cold overnight then flat and polish
    aka Jonathan!!

Blog Entries

The colour match and the overall paint result is really impressive.
    If I tried that it would probably be a glorious fail and look like my kids played with finger paint ..
    1997 JDM Custom Order AT VIN 1400005 - Stock
    Heineken's Garage

The ongoing story….. the bumper beam!

To give it some more protection I undersealed it, a nice coating inside and out….

IMG_20200408_105350 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

Brackets bolted on, and turned over to do the other side…

IMG_20200408_111904 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

Whilst waiting for it to dry, the redundant brackets were removed from the back panel…..

IMG_20200408_115119 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

The ‘nuts’ are completely round from original, no idea how they tightened them!!!! Once flats cut on the side I could undo them…. Like a nut!

IMG_20200408_115205 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

His left me with 4 studs…

IMG_20200408_115230 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

Which I have had to put nuts on, to stop them rattling!!!! Not completely sure why they didn’t just put conventional nuts on in the first place!!!!

Once dry I could bolt it on!

IMG_20200408_125740 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

Next up was to make some top hat washers to hold the lower bumper mounting horns, some didn’t survive the disassembly from the old rusty bar…. The added bonus is these now have stainless threads!

IMG_20200408_144610 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

Then it was lights out and refit the cover….

IMG_20200408_171638 by jon sutherland, on Flickr
    aka Jonathan!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast