Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After Market ICE Units

Default After Market ICE Units

Happy new year everyone.

I'm contemplating whether to change the standard cassette/radio for a more modern unit, with satnav, bluetooth etc. So I'm interested in what members have done, what units & whether they would recommend their choice.

Thanks

Wix
    Wix

Blog Entries

Really depends on the user interface for the input, what features/operations you want inside the cabin and what level of audio quality for the output.

I'm not an audio guru so I'll leave the discussion such as wiring, AMP, speaker, DSP, etc.

You can leave the OEM head unit as it is and never use it again.
    Instead, install Bluetooth receiver, smart devices, etc somewhere inside the cabin.
    Connect mobile phone, touch display or whatever I/F and use voice command, etc to control the source, volume, etc.

The technology is still evolving every day and there are already 1,000s of devices available.
    It's up to one's creativity/idea on how to configure these to achieve one's demand.
    The car manufactures, authorities, etc are looking into how to connect the car to the net in order to improve safety, traffic flow, etc and 5G is one of the early phase for this.
    Thus, something achieved today could be outdated within short period.

Some owners went with Willmans head unit modifications.
    If you search using the keyword ' willmans site:nsxprime.com ', you will find many examples.
    One of them here; http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showth...ment-head-unit

If your existing OEM head unit/amp/speaker are still healthy and operational, you could connect audio adaptor at the CD changer port and use the buttons/knobs of the OEM head unit to control the source, volume, play list, etc.
    The popular choices are the GROM and the USA Spec devices but I think the latter one is NLA so probably GROM is the safe choice.
    GROM also offers the Bluetooth receiver.

GROM example;
    http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/blog.php?1811...round&tag=grom

USA Spec example but most likely NLA so just information only;
    http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/blog.php?1811...d&tag=usa+spec

Above are just some examples to get ideas and you can do many things even with the current technology.
    The cost and the looks are different story....

Kaz

It depends entirely how comfortable you are having your own centre console chopped up to fit a double din unit in if you want the benefits of a satnav screen in a single unit!

You can get the nav pod option, but then you still need to sort a screen that'll fit it and the associated wiring etc to get it working..

Depends entirely on what way you want to go, OEM look, keeping the existing stereo and trendy cassette player, or use one of the hundreds of stereo's out there!!!
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Thanks for the replies so far, Kaz & Jon.

I'd try & source another console, so I can put back to standard when I needed to. I'm thinking of direct replacement for the head unit, with a link lead into the standard harness connectors, so an off the shelf aftermarket unit is preferable, that has all the 'mod-cons' built in, so there's no need for link leads etc.

I've looked at the Willman conversion before but I think it's a bit expensive & I'd rather have the original unit ready to be put back in, rather than have it adapted.

So basically, if anyone has fitted a more modern double din unit, with sat-nav, bluetooth DAB, what did you fit & is it any good ?
    Wix

Quote Originally Posted by wixer View Post

I've looked at the Willman conversion before but I think it's a bit expensive & I'd rather have the original unit ready to be put back in, rather than have it adapted.

So basically, if anyone has fitted a more modern double din unit, with sat-nav, bluetooth DAB, what did you fit & is it any good ?
    Having owned a car stereo shop for many years it would be very wise as you can imagine to stick with the big brands if you want almost total reliability and best quality.
    It is a real mine field of choice out there so if you can find a quality incar entertainment speacalist around Coventry or Birmingham at least you will be able to narrow it down on ease of use.
    My order of preference in make would be:
    Alpine
    Pioneer
    Kenwood

I used to fit customers own supplied far eastern/Chinese all singing all dancing head units and most had sound quality issues (interference and distortion) or just poor reliability, although as you will no doubt see on line the price is the big draw to buy.
    But as I always told the customers "you only get what you pay for", and that's particularly true with micro electronics devices.

I personally kept the oem Bose head unit and installed devices of the back of it including everything and more of what you're looking for.
    Good luck anyway.
    Last edited by Pride; 09-01-2020 at 07:47 PM.
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

I managed to dig out the magazine review from year 2000 (20 years ago would you believe, unbelievable) and the system is still going strong:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1614.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	13840 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1615.PNG 
Views:	149 
Size:	513.8 KB 
ID:	13841 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1616.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	13842 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1617.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	13843 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1618.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	13844

Hope you can read it Wixer and it gives you some sort of idea of what I mean.
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

Everything in responses so far is 100%

I went the double din route and have a Pioneer unit installed in my car for a number of years now and its been great.

when i bought my car the previous owner(s) had taken the original system out and put a single din in. it was not installed properly and all a bit of a mess so i had to fix it. so i opted on the back of the same reasons as yourself, sat nav, mobile connectivitiy, proper audio (cassettes are dead). Even though i never had the original system in my car I still would have done an update. I use my car and have done plenty of miles and I love my music etc so this was DEFINITELY a change for me

I am hoping to update my headunit at somepoint in the near future and will either go for Alpine of Pioneer.

Keep in mind Kaz's info re the Bose speaker system and how it is powered etc as your head unit will have its own amplification etc.

I removed the Bose system from my car as its old and really the qaulity is nothing compared to newer component systems. I run a Pioneer H/U wuth JL Audio component speakers, subwoofer (6" custom box similar to OEM in passenger footwell) and amplifier. My car retains original interior look and no alterations to door cards etc was made.

Keep a healthy budget in mind when doing this as stated above. You get what you pay for especially in ICE.

Please keep us posted on what you decide. Any other questions fire away!
    "The value of life can be measured by how many times you soul has been deeply stirred" - Soichiro Honda

Blog Entries

Maybe just one small note from a "keep it stock" guy (like me)

The OEM head unit's front is not perfectly square but slightly wider on the top than at the bottom. This was very likely done to give it a nice proportional look as the center console gets narrower further down, too.
    When an aftermarket unit (with a perfectly square front) is installed it looks a tad bit off but that's just my 2 cents
    1997 JDM Custom Order AT VIN 1400005 - Stock
    Heineken's Garage

Update to my thread, as I've got a bit of time on my hands at the moment !

I decided on the Grom interface option, rather than a replacement head unit, as I only really listen to two radio stations in the UK and listen to music from a USB device, which is what I would listen to on any Euro trip. I also included the Bluetooth interface option as well.

Installation, pretty straight forward, just remove the centre console and associated units, found a place to mount the Grom unit and wire in the phone microphone next to the rear view mirror.

I could've done the whole thing in one day but the Mrs suggested that I might want to drag the job out over a few weeks, as the chances of getting the car back on the road for the beginning of April, was not going happen. So the job was started a month ago and finished this morning.

Name:	IMAG2160.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	13883

Mounting the Grom unit.

Name:	IMAG2161.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	13884

Name:	IMAG2162.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	13885

Routing the wiring for the microphone.

Name:	IMAG2164.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	13886

Name:	IMAG2166.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	13887

Testing the USB.

Name:	IMAG0078.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	13888

USB connector in centre console.

Name:	IMAG0080.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	13889
    Wix

I was considering a Grom for my car there is a vendor on ebay. It looks like you get the unit and the wiring but they do not specify one for an NSX, can I ask where you sourced yours please

Quote Originally Posted by wixer View Post
    Update to my thread, as I've got a bit of time on my hands at the moment !

I decided on the Grom interface option, rather than a replacement head unit, as I only really listen to two radio stations in the UK and listen to music from a USB device, which is what I would listen to on any Euro trip. I also included the Bluetooth interface option as well.

Installation, pretty straight forward, just remove the centre console and associated units, found a place to mount the Grom unit and wire in the phone microphone next to the rear view mirror.

I could've done the whole thing in one day but the Mrs suggested that I might want to drag the job out over a few weeks, as the chances of getting the car back on the road for the beginning of April, was not going happen. So the job was started a month ago and finished this morning.

Name:	IMAG2160.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	13883

Mounting the Grom unit.

Name:	IMAG2161.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	13884