Thread: Illuminated rear H badge project. 😎

Default Illuminated rear H badge project. 😎

After installing the JDM/US rear light cluster upgrade a few weeks ago I decided to try and illuminate the rear H badge to give the rear of the car a great total illuminated look.

I first contacted Euro Boutique for a price to do what I thought would be a very straight forward modification and they quoted me $400 plus shipping after I send them the lamp unit.
    Approximately 4-6 week turnaround.

So I decided to give a go myself.
    I also decided just for a change not to go with LED's as I didn't want the centre badge to be overly bright, just a subtle red glow, which would then nicely show the letter H.

After a bit of research I plumbed for a red electroluminescent panel costing all of £5 from China.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6566.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	13835

As the lamp lens was heat welded/glued together I thought it best to cut a slot into the base of the lamp unit and insert the panel.
    Although the lamp unit appears to be plastic, it's not. In fact it's a type of nylon based plastic which not only melts at the slightest bit of friction or heat but also fills the air with very fine strands of nylon so goggles and a mask is highly recommended.

Name:	66BA04DD-72B5-4B10-BD6B-95D009C509B9.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	13836

Slotting in the panel and testing it with a 12v battery I found the results were very pleasing on the eye.👍

Name:	IMG_6605.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	13837

Here is the finished item at night installed connected to the sidelights and as you can see the letter H really does stand out quite nicely at night now. In the boot I've also installed a small micro switch which also allows me to be able turn it on or off independently to the sidelights if I wish.

Name:	IMG_1600.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	14.4 KB 
ID:	13838

I would be very interested to know what you all think so comments welcome please.
    I love it. 🤗
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

Looks good. It reminds me of a project which dates back to 2006 when I was much, much younger.

When you hit the brakes it get's brighter. But I've removed it some years ago.

Name:	IMG_4316.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	13839

Blog Entries

Nice work!
    I'm surprised the lit-up area of so well defined. If had been asked before I would have guessed the light would light up almost the complete case.
    Did you close the slot again or is it going to stay open? (Could be an improvement to keep the area ventilated, referring to the well-known moisture issues).
    1997 JDM Custom Order AT VIN 1400005 - Stock
    Heineken's Garage

Quote Originally Posted by goldnsx View Post
    Looks good. It reminds me of a project which dates back to 2006 when I was much, much younger.

When you hit the brakes it get's brighter. But I've removed it some years ago.

Name:	IMG_4316.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	13839
    I always thought this looked very classy and befitting of the NSX ... what ever happened to it?
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Quote Originally Posted by Senninha View Post
    I always thought this looked very classy and befitting of the NSX ... what ever happened to it?
    Thanks. It has been mounted on the car from 2006 to +-2010 but has been dismounted since then. One reason was that its color matched best to the darker EU rear lights but I have mounted the 'brigther' US rear lights since about 2008. So there was some kind of mismatch to avoid and some years later, I changed the center light for another one that matched the US lights 100%. But I didn't do the same mod on the new one as well, just a simple H-logo (OEM 02+ style).
    The other reason might be that I'm just too tired do any further mods or even drive it. Winter time was usually project time but not this winter.
    I also have a set of 02+ rear lights in spare but still haven't mounted them so far. Not sure if I like the yellow/red combo but it would be a perfect 02+ rear then (while the front is still 91).

Since many years I looks like this:

Name:	DSCF0867.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	13847

An illumination like Clive suggested would be very nice esp. if you use a normal H-logo (not the NSX-R one).
    Last edited by goldnsx; 26-01-2020 at 06:59 PM.

I think I’d like to have a go at doing this to my ‘92 GPW if it’s something that could be removed if I didn’t like the way it turned out.
    would you be willing to share the p/ns and the place you got the bits so I might take a longer look at it?

Cheers
    nigel

Well, the project was fun but dates back 14 years. I'll have to look up if I have some spare PCB boards like this (I've made a very small amount of them) as they would help a lot (exact shape of the NSX-letters). Would you be interested in one of these?

But not sure if I can help you on the additional functionality of the brake light illumination because this is on a separate board that is placed outside of the center light. It has been done with the help of an US electronic guy back then. Not sure if I can retrieve the schematics.

Name:	IMG_4248.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	13849

Quote Originally Posted by nigel View Post
    I think I’d like to have a go at doing this to my ‘92 GPW if it’s something that could be removed if I didn’t like the way it turned out.
    would you be willing to share the p/ns and the place you got the bits so I might take a longer look at it?

Cheers
    nigel
    Just in case you'd like something a little less complex then here's the link to get the red panel I used:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/105mm-x-1...72.m2749.l2649

It comes with its own transformer and panel can be drilled through while still being able to illuminate.

It's rated at 30w but because it illuminates half the brightness of your sidelights I think it looks very attractive at night giving it a subtle glow in the middle of the light cluster while not detracting from your all important sidelight illumination.

I used a fine Dremel rotary saw to cut the slot through the top of the centre badge in conjunction with someone following me along with a small nozzle Little Henry sucking away the fine plastic bits.

It will be interesting to see your results. Good luck.
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  