Thread: CTEK battery charger

Default CTEK battery charger

Hello all,

My CTEK charger seems to be playing up so I thought I'd treat myself to a new one. I've visited their site and there seems to be quite a few variants. I was wondering if any other members used CTEK and if so which models they use or recommend?

If not CTEK, any other recommendations? I've just looked on Amazon and the choice is overwhelming.

Regards

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Hello all,

My CTEK charger seems to be playing up so I thought I'd treat myself to a new one. I've visited their site and there seems to be quite a few variants. I was wondering if any other members used CTEK and if so which models they use or recommend?

If not CTEK, any other recommendations? I've just looked on Amazon and the choice is overwhelming.

Regards

Graham
    The MXS 5 is the one I use, perfect for the NSX IMHO.

https://www.ctek.com/products/vehicle/mxs-5-0
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

Blog Entries

Hi, Graham.

What kind of issue are you experiencing with your CTEK?
    Is it out of warranty?

Majority of sophisticated conditioners will have minimum voltage threshold that if the battery was drained too low, it may not start charging.
    For example, CTEK MXS 5.0 requires 2.0V minimum to start the conditioning cycle to kick in.
    Not sure it's the same for all models but the CTEK ones that I bought came with the 5 years warranty.

Alternative to CTEK, OptiMate/AccuMate is well known to the Racing teams and also to the motorcycle world.
    I have been using Accumate 6V/12V for well over 10 years.
    I forgot the max current spec but I'm quite sure it was lower than the MXS 5.0 but not a problem for the NSX battery size.
    It requires minimum of about 3.0V for the AccuMate to kick in.

OptiMate is more of same base technology sold under different branding name.
    For the capacity of NSX battery, I think you will need OptiMate 5 or higher model but please select the appropriate one for your NSX and other cars, motorcycle, caravan, marine, etc you have.

I have 2 x CTEK MXS 5.0 and AccuMate 6V/12V.
    All working for years without any issues.

For the price and what you get, MXS 5.0 is well balanced in my view.
    You can go for the much more expensive models or even the cheaper ones within the CTEK family depending on what you want.

You can distinguish the generation and different version of the MXS 5.0 by the colour of the 'MODE' switch, etc.
    The earlier generation with the Black Mode sw and the later version with the Red one.
    There are other 5.0 models with different Mode sw colour as well as the body colour.

Personally, I felt the build quality of CTEK models were far better with the early models than the later ones but still OK.
    There could be fake products circulating so please make sure to order from the official distributor.
    If using amazon, safer to go with the one dispatched from and sold by amazon.

Kaz
    Last edited by Kaz-kzukNA1; 20-03-2020 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Repaired broken link to the photo

Thanks both of you for the advice.

My charger is several years old (Multi XS 3600) so I doubt it's under any warranty. The problem is that when I press the mode switch it goes straight from the bike symbol to the cold symbol (snow flake) missing out the car symbol. I'm sure it still charges but it didn't use to do this so it's past its best. Can't seem to add a photo.

Anyway, that's two votes for the MXS 5.0 so I'll get one on order from Amazon.

Thanks again.

Graham

The switch failing is a reported failing of CTEK chargers, a mechanical rather than electronic problem. A search in YouTube/ the web suggests opening the unit, pulling the circuit board out, rolling the circuit over and using switch cleaner on the switch, until then keep repressing the switch until it ‘stops’ at your setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Thanks both of you for the advice.

My charger is several years old (Multi XS 3600) so I doubt it's under any warranty. The problem is that when I press the mode switch it goes straight from the bike symbol to the cold symbol (snow flake) missing out the car symbol. I'm sure it still charges but it didn't use to do this so it's past its best. Can't seem to add a photo.

Anyway, that's two votes for the MXS 5.0 so I'll get one on order from Amazon.

Thanks again.

Graham
    I used to sell the old Multi XS3600 you have when I had my car stereo business many years ago and I had quiet a few returned to me not working correctly. So you've done well if you've had a good few years.
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

Mine was doing weird things until I replaced the plug-in adaptor to the car's fuse box.

Suspect the old one got corroded/damaged.
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson