Thread: Stolen car check / Help

1. Default Stolen car check / Help

Hi, I'm new on this site and looking for some help. Basically I can purchase an NA1 from a good friend that bought it many years ago without documents. He stored it in a barn for nearly 15 years. I'm trying to check if it's a stolen car. I don't think it'll come up on the standard HPI check as its a Japanese car and never exported, it is at present in Japan where I live. You might think its easy to check here! but it seems to be impossible, too long ago even if it is a stolen. If I can confirm its all clear then I will export to UK to keep or sell later, not sure yet. I have run it through the NSX Prime check and that seems Ok except you need a full 17 digit and Japanese cars only have 7 digit chassis number not a Vin number. I made the chassis number using an online decoder which gave me these number: (JH4NA1252MT) then added my chassis number 1004xx So its a 1991 3.0L auto. The chassis number on the plate is NA1-1004xxx [Edit: Kaz-kzukNA1; for security reason, hidden the last 3digits.]
    Ok, so if anyone can run a full European check or send me a link to do it that would be great, if Im unable to get any info then he's going to scrap it for parts!! One other thing I have thought of even if it does turn out to be a stolen car its not the end of the world as the value that was more than likely paid out 15 years ago would not have been very much.
    Thank you.
    Glen.
    Last edited by Kaz-kzukNA1; 21-05-2019 at 05:33 PM. Reason: hidden the VIn info.

I can't help very much but if you put the letters and numbers in a row you have your 17 digit no. or VIN.

Hopefully Kaz will advise you as I'm sure he'll know the Japanese law and system.
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

Blog Entries

The VIN system is different depending on the market.
    Acura (LHD/RHD), European models, JDM all use different system so you can't decode it using different system.

The NSX you mentioned is called NA1-100type, 91/92 model, left the factory with the 1st gen. ABS.

Year model depends on the market as well so be careful.
    In any case, NA1-100 is the original spec.

In Japan, there are several organisations that can check the history of the car.
    Seems like your friend doesn't have any documents but you may be able to ask Honda dealer to check the previous service history.
    If there are any service receipts with lots of parts no., then that will help in understanding what was changed in the past.

You can contact JAAI, Honda dealer, car auction members, etc for other checkups.

Kaz

5. Default

Hi, So sorry for the delay in replying to everyone that offered advise / help. I did type an update last week but then realised I wasn't logged in when I tried to post, logged in and then subsequently erased my post! what a Plonker..... Lol!
    Anyway, Honda really aren't any help as they don't keep records on every vehicle unless I can find the actual garage that serviced it. Also after 10 years most details are dumped! Believe it or not Japan is still a big user of paperwork and not everything is stored on computers. You wouldn't believe the amount of forms you have to fill in here just to do very simple things like change of owner!
    So I have one avenue left here before I think about dismantling it and shipping out as parts! There is a way of researching the history / previous owners and getting some form of print out to show customs for export. I'll keep you updated.
    Thank you again for all your advise.
    Glen.

Blog Entries

Probably not of much help but when exporting a car from Japan the usual way requires a de-registration. When doing so you can request a registration history from the government. This could provide you with some more background information, given that the licence plate is still available.

On the other hand, I'm a bit confused why it's necessary to check if the car is stolen. Unless the price is unreasonably low or the car has other oddities I wouldn't expect it to be stolen in the first place, I guess.
    For an export you will need export papers (you might need them for re-registration in your home country, too) and if they are provided by the government the car should be fine, or?
    1997 JDM Custom Order AT VIN 1400005 - Stock
    Heineken's Garage

7. Default

Hi, To apply for a de-registration document you first need the registration document, this car doesn't have one hence the problem and possibly a stolen car. The registration office in Japan will only issue one registration document and if you loose that its very difficult to obtain another without going through the process I'm doing now. I've been here over 20 years exporting / importing and there are hundreds of cars sitting around Japan without documents, some very rare and expensive cars! But unless you can prove who the last owner was and get some proof the customs will never let you export it as a complete vehicle. A dealer friend of mine has an original 1966 23 window VW bus, previous owner died 5 years ago and the family have not been able to find any documents. He still he hasn't been able to register it for domestic use let alone export.
    Thank you for taking the time to post though.
    Glen.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the clarification, Glen. I was not aware of your experience in this matter.
    1997 JDM Custom Order AT VIN 1400005 - Stock
    Heineken's Garage