Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ecu reset procedure.....

I shall be looking at it this week when I get a chance, but I can completely close the idle screw and the car will still run. I presume u should be able to stop it as the engine 'shouldn't' be getting any air.....

To that end, I have a new fast idle valve and EACV ready to go on along with pcv valve and AIT sensor... I'll try the easy bits first.....
    Last edited by britlude; 23-04-2019 at 03:48 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by goldnsx View Post
    OT and just curious: what is the red symbol in the lower center of the instrument panel. I haven't seen this before.
    Mine is JDM so different from European spec.
    The beep and that indicator immediately after IGSW P2 ON are the seat belt reminder.
    Introduced from Nov/92 model in Japan.

Kaz

right.. latest investigation results....... when i got home from work the idle was about 1000, with the occasional rise and drop, not as bad as the previous vid... with it running i did douse anything that could have a vac leak with carb cleaner hoping to get a reaction, alas no, so disconnected the ECAV to see what happens.... idle nice and stable, adjustable with the idle screw....

if you multiply the Hz on the multimeter by 20 you get the rpm.... so i can wind it down to 37hz or 740rpm and no lower. i would expect the engine to be able to stall on the screw.... i did block the pcv valve, and it dropped a little to 660rpm, ..... but rose with the pcv valve released again,so some air getting in there as expected...

so no obvious leaks, so it could be the fast idle valve not closing completely, which is a possibility, or the ECAV leaking a little air past...

reconnecting the ECAV valve, the ecu controls the engine speed, the idle lifting again to about 1000rpm, so that is doing something. if i alter the idle air screw (so many idle air circuits!!) the ECAV tweaks to keep the revs about the same regardless of whether the screw is closed or not, but with the occasional rise and fall....

a little percussive maintenance on the ECAV (ie. tap it with a metal stick!) and it seems to be a little happier, so suspect that might be being a little sticky too, given the soot that was on the idle screw when it came out, i wouldn't be surprised!

so, to that end, i have a new fast idle valve, new ECAV, AIT sensor and pcv valve from Amayama, along with a full intake gasket set, so it'll get removed, cleaned, internal butterfly screws checked and all put back together!

as it stands at the moment, restarts like this..... with gear selection too....

so, better, we'll see how it behaves for the rest of the week!

i shall put a new idle screw in too, just to complete the intake set! just got to find one that's not on a silly lead time! (16016-PM6-005... same as a del sol!!!)
    aka Jonathan!!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Idle screw should be with me Saturday!!!
    aka Jonathan!!

5. Default

Thats the problem with idle screws, they are never in a hurry !
    Mike

Ba-dum tish!
    aka Jonathan!!

i might have a breakthrough with the idle issue.....

i recorded this today, the TPS signal at the transmission computer....

now, i'm not doing anything, but the signal is unstable... and the engine revs are following the signal, rev rising when the signal drops low...at least i know whats triggering the rev changes.....

the TPS signal only goes to 3 places- the engine ECU, the gearbox ECU and the traction control computer.....

so disconnect the gearbox and traction ecus.... start up and see what happens?...... (you don't need to watch all of it....!)

somewhat more stable, just a bit of noise, but nothing unexpected, cars are electrically noisy places......
    Last edited by britlude; 25-04-2019 at 10:26 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

plug the gearbox ecu back in.....

well that's a whole lot better, doing just what it's supposed to......

fortunately i have a spares, so next step is to add in my spare traction control ecu....... (and find out that AJ and Kiki are safe, phew)

so i might be a whole lot closer than i was... i suspect i was getting false leads as anything i did to the gearbox ecu involved unplugging the traction control computer to get to the gearbox connectors.... not counting my chickens, yet, i've been here before, but does look promising

seems the traction control computer may have been corrupting the TPS signal... i shall swap in the tps computer proper at the weekend once it's proved itself and investigate the 'problem' one!
    Last edited by britlude; 26-04-2019 at 06:35 AM.
    aka Jonathan!!

alas, just to be a pain, the idle is not so bad, but the gearbox computer dropped under its 'the TPS is ok and i can work with it' threshold.... the signal being erratic once more, with the traction control computer connected or not.....

so i connected a wire to the 5v reference supply that feeds all the sensors...... and hooked that up to the oscilloscope too!

with gearbox and TCS computers disconnected.... i switched on, the yellow line being the 5v ref supply, the blue being the tps output....

5v supply solid as a rock, but safe to say there's something up there with the blue line then! even before it's started, and not touching the throttle, it's all over the place.....

this was the tps i swapped on to the car when the gearbox computer was having it's tps issues..... so swap it back then.... ho hum

on the bench i tested it, it's a basic potentiometer 0v, 5v, and the voltage output depending on where the wiper is, a simple resistor arrangement....

so on the bench, end to end resistance 4.8k ohms, ok acceptable, one side to wiper 1.6k, the other side to wiper 6.8k... hmmm something definitely not right there, it means the first reading should have been more like 8.5k, AND the value is changing with the heat of my hand holding it! no wonder that was causing issues!

i'm guessing when i found the signal stabilized after disconnecting the TCS computer, it dropped the load on the tps so it was happier, but them decided it wasn't... or it was just coincidence?? i hate intermittent faults! grrr

IMG_20190427_142548 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

new idle screw, pcv valve in and i still couldn't get the idle down to spec , so new fast idle valve and ECAV fitted....

IMG_20190427_145728 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

IMG_20190427_145703 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

now i can stall the car on the idle screw! some progress at least!

with the original TPS in place and it seems happy, output levels where they should be, and the idle is at the correct levels too.... now it's a waiting game to see if the gearbox computer finds it's TPS levels too low..... again.......
    aka Jonathan!!

of course, why would honda dream of using a conventional style variable resistor, when they can make it overly complicated....

2019-04-28_12-12-05 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

normally the centre connection is a metal track, and a wiper on the carbon resistor element, giving a simple resistance value (a percentage of the overall resistance)

a toiny pic.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Variable-Resistor-Terminals.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	13690

the honda style has 2 carbon tracks, just to be awkward...
    aka Jonathan!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast