Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: eps steering rack.... delvin into the deep!

Quote Originally Posted by Pride View Post
    If your car is a totally original 91 manual transmission NA1 then you DON'T have power steering.
    Electric power steering was only fitted to auto transmission models but from 1995 all NSX's except R's were fitted with it.
    Hope this helps.
    Not quite true Clive - your statement applies to UK cars, but not to JDM, as EPAS became an option from the introduction of the NA2 with C32B engine. All Type T (targa roof panel) cars (& all NA1 automatics) have the EPAS, but coupes (excluding the Type R & S Zero) could specify it and most did.
    Last edited by NZNick; 19-01-2021 at 11:33 PM.
    December '99 GH-NA2 110 series - 6AS62 Type S in Monte Carlo Blue Pearl

Not had much time to read the forum or even get out in my car this year but reading this I love the skill and enthusiasm of the members here to fix and share their knowledge. Thank you for the time taken to share this. Thumbs up

Hi Kaz
    if I would like to try the A + III configuration, what P / N for controler do I need to buy .Will Plug & Play work?

Mario

After surfing some japanese blogs (with the help of Google translater) I came to the conclusion that probably to get the faster response on the rack you need the newer rack (B), as it is the torque sensor on the rack that was improved. So if you intend to upgrade the EPS controller to get the faster response you probably won’t get the desired result.
    Kaz can probably help you further on this...

you can get more information here (just translate it and you get an idea):

http://www.tyiz.jp/NSX/PowerSteering/PowerSteering.htm

Quote Originally Posted by ozon02 View Post
    Hi Kaz
    if I would like to try the A + III configuration, what P / N for controler do I need to buy .Will Plug & Play work?

Mario
    Last edited by bbvnsx; 19-09-2019 at 08:11 AM.

To BBVNSX,
    thank you very much valuable hint - it will save me time and money

a quick appendix with a couple of thoughts.....

1. if the motor bearings are dry but not showing signs of corrosion, the side shields can be carefully pried off and the bearings cleaned, re-greased and the shields put back on..... you don't have to go too mad with the grease, too much and the steering will feel like treacle. bearing in mind the motor only spins 20 times lock to lock, it's not like its doing 6000rpm for days on end.

2. the ball screw yoke bushes.... i'm guessing they are a micro shock damper with a bit of give in them. so in theory you could use some of the 2 part liquid rubber to restore them, the sort that boy racers use to stiffen engine void bushes and the like, or make replacements for obsolete engine mounts.... they are available in different hardness levels, but not idea what they should be for the secret bush in the steering rack!!

probably shore a70 or 80, but just guessing, something like this, a liquid rubber https://www.mbfg.co.uk/pt-flex-85-rubber.html or polyurethane https://www.mbfg.co.uk/duroflex-85.html but more investigation would be required!
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

appendum 2, 4 years later..... now i had thought the steering was heavy, a bit dull, for a while, especially after i had to buy a new daily driver as my commute had changed significantly.... but after driving Mikes (sorepaws) (ta!) around the block, it was confirmed, it was, and something had to be done!

so i dragged out my spare rack and set to giving at an overhaul just in case the one in the car had terminal issues....

fortunately, with the new commuter car, i don't have to try to get everything done before the next working day, so a more relaxed approach, (fortunate with supply issues/timings)

spare rack…
    IMG_20230416_094530 by JON SUTH, on Flickr

Strip to find the usual cause of the knock….

so strip it to bits….
    Working the bushings out…
    IMG_20230413_200730 by JON SUTH, on Flickr

IMG_20230413_200725 by JON SUTH, on Flickr

Don’t look as bad as the other ones…
    IMG_20230413_201518 by JON SUTH, on Flickr

Oh….
    IMG_20230413_201751 by JON SUTH, on Flickr

Replacement inserts made out of nylon…
    IMG_20230413_204657 by JON SUTH, on Flickr
    And all pressed together…
    IMG_20230413_210029 by JON SUTH, on Flickr
    Reassembled and staked into place
    IMG_20230413_212940 by JON SUTH, on Flickr
    Last edited by britlude; 12-05-2023 at 07:31 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Do the sensor gear mod….

Remove gear
    IMG_20230414_133907 by JON SUTH, on Flickr

Modify the brass spare I bought 4 years ago….
    IMG_20230414_131153 by JON SUTH, on Flickr

Tweak the sensor ‘motor’ mount to allow the gear to mesh properly…
    IMG_20230414_133903 by JON SUTH, on Flickr

Reassembly is reverse of disassembly
    IMG_20230414_134755 by JON SUTH, on Flickr

I did strip it right down to bare components, but the motor bearings weren’t dry like the other rack 4 years ago, and spin freely. I had already decided that the ‘stickyness’ of the rack in the car was down to the motor bearings being new and fully loaded with grease.

Anyway as a reference I added vice grips (not tight enough to do any damage) and gave it a flick…

this is with everything assembled and suitably tightened..

side note… on a typical steering rack, the ‘stiffness’ of the turning action is adjusted with the cup that presses the rack onto the input pinion…. On the NSX it makes little or no difference relaxing it from the workshop manual setting… what has helped is fully synthetic grease, more like a gel than a thick grease….
    Last edited by britlude; 12-05-2023 at 07:05 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

After getting the rack out of the car, I did a comparison flick test….

yup, definitely stickier! I did the appropriate workshop manual spring weight pull tests, and they were all within spec, but this illustrates that the book settings don’t tell the whole story

on strip down, the ball screw nut bushes were perfect, but the motor had obviously been stressed….

A bit of build up….
    IMG_20230422_162418 by JON SUTH, on Flickr

Not pretty
    2023-05-12_07-25-28 by JON SUTH, on Flickr

So cleaned up, the brushes inspected, and the commutator cleaned… all ok

This time I took the bearings off, carefully prised the rubber side seals out, cleaned the bearings, lightly regreased with the fully synthetic tube of magic, and reassembled

Resulting in….

again, all tightened up as it should be, so a vast improvement 😊

it was ready to put back in, except for one slight issue….
    IMG_20230422_125300 by JON SUTH, on Flickr

I know they are not OEM, but you’d expect them to last longer than 4 years….
    Oh well, lesson learnt….
    2023-05-12_07-32-39 by JON SUTH, on Flickr

Back in, it feels a whole lot better, so another addition to the knowledge pool 😊
    aka Jonathan!!

Blog Entries

Nice work! May your rack be rattle free for a long time
    1997 JDM Custom Order AT VIN 1400005 - Stock
    Heineken's Garage

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast