Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: eps steering rack.... delvin into the deep!

I have a lathe in my garage

Oh, and all the bearings mentioned so far have replacements on their way!!!!
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Blog Entries

Hi, Jonathan.
    Don't want disturbing your nice thread with photos from different source so I'll just place the link to it.
    https://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid.../blog/c991096/

This is from KSP Engineering that I used to deal/help with in the past.
    I don't like them using the know-how from people who used to work/help them in the past but there are so many photos in the above link that may help others one day through your thread so going to just leave it here.
    All of the main members from KSP are now moved to T3TEC and Mr Toyoizumi is the first person who developed the EPS rack service in Japan.
    Even the Honda dealers in Japan are using their EPS rack services these days.

There are like 15 pages in the link and at the very bottom of each page, you will see strange Japanese text like ' 次のページ >> ’. It means ' Next Page >> '.

If you need extra photos or info, happy to help.

Kaz
    Last edited by Kaz-kzukNA1; 05-03-2019 at 10:18 AM. Reason: extra info.

very handy, thanks Kaz....

what it has shown is that the 2 motor bearings are not the same after all, yes, they are the same part originally, but the inner race at the gear end has been opened up from 35mm to 36 mm to give an extra clearance for the gear teeth.... i'll have to make up a little jig so i can re-size the bearing accordingly.
    aka Jonathan!!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

stage 1...... get a chunk of metal and whittle to give a snug bearing location, and a raised section to support the centre race.....

IMG_20190305_191120 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

so the bearing fits thus...

IMG_20190305_191135 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

stage 2...... get another chunk and do much the same, but with a thru hole.....

IMG_20190305_191107 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

bolt it all together....

IMG_20190305_191205 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

and then wait for the new bearings to arrive.......
    aka Jonathan!!

yup, that runs true.. less that 1/2 thou total deflection seems the old bearing is not perfectly round... we'll see what the new one runs like before machining!
    aka Jonathan!!

Your engineering prowess is to be admired.

I hope re-assembly goes smoothly. And the rack...
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson

Hopefully the cutting tips are tough enough, if not i'll be making a small grinding mount to fit to the lathe..... It's only 0.5mm I've got to cut ....

On an aside, the sensor gear appears to be a 0.5mod 60tooth gear, 3mm wide and a 3mm hole.... I've got 2 in brass on their way, 5mm thick for a fiver each.....
    Last edited by britlude; 07-03-2019 at 11:59 AM.
    aka Jonathan!!

the next little job..... replacing the ball screw bush core....now, it once might have been rubber but after many years was like a hard plastic, perhaps with a little flexibility, but now definitely hard and brittle.....

if it was once rubber, perhaps to protect the ball screw drive gear, there was never very much 'give' as the centre top hat base size has virtually no clearance to the outer, so any give would have fractions of a millimetre to move....

anyway, i made some nylon replacements and fitted them, pressing them together in the vice

inner, outer, replacement and old insert

2019-03-07_10-21-11 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

one assembled, the other waiting!!!

IMG_20190307_170332 by jon sutherland, on Flickr
    aka Jonathan!!

9. Default

This thread is gold.

ta muchly.....

the bearings turned up today, the one that has a bore of 35mm, and needs a bore of 36mm at the gear end of the motor....

well, loaded it up in the lathe, and took a preliminary cut, in full expectation that i was going to have to fashion a dremmel mount and make a basic grinding jig..... anyway, this happened.....

It fits by jon sutherland, on Flickr

it cut!!!! so, an hour later, with very gentle cuts so the tip didn't shred itself, and to keep heat out of the bearing, and an awful lot of measuring.....we ended up here.....

It fits by jon sutherland, on Flickr

the new bearings are nice and tight, showing just how loose the old ones have got over 26 years!!!! the bearing at the brush end of the motor is more worn/loose than the gear end one..... so the unmodified bearing has worn first in my case

that's all the bearings sorted then! (the completely standard needle rollers arrived a couple of days ago!)
    Last edited by britlude; 08-03-2019 at 03:48 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast