Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: eps steering rack.... delvin into the deep!

Default eps steering rack.... delvin into the deep!

My steering rack was making the typical knocking noise often reported on NSXPrime, so when I did the front ball joints, I swapped in my spare rack, and put it on the shelf for later. After over 150k miles, it deserved a rest!

At the last MOT the replacement rack was showing an early indication of a problem, no loose play, but a slight lag in assist, so my spare rack was taken off the shelf and investigations begin!

IMG_20190302_161729 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

If you remember, the motor power connections were a tad crusty, probably using the same nuts as fitted to the exhaust system!

IMG_20190302_161818 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

A quick saw cut and tap with a chisel….

IMG_20190302_161933 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

Under these were 2 more special nuts, fortunately these came out quite easily!

IMG_20190302_162311 by jon sutherland, on Flickr
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

The other side of the bolts is the motor link connections

IMG_20190302_162420 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

Fortunately nice and clean in its sealed box!

I then took off the passenger side end cover, very slight play in the end bush, so that will be investigated later! Anyhoo, here’s what’s under the cover….

IMG_20190302_164042 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

grease looks a bit tired!!!

and this is what often causes the eps knock

(and the common dry gear sound as the steering swings!!!....and apologies for the wobbly camera!!!)

this seems to be a roller track needle bearing, that's not playing anymore....the centre can turn easily in the ball nut pin, and the outer is pushed in and 'staked' with 3 centre punch dots to stop it coming out.... that's the next step if i find replacements
    Last edited by britlude; 03-03-2019 at 09:12 AM.
    aka Jonathan!!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Better vid....

aka Jonathan!!

It's nice that you took the trouble and showed the steering rack from the inside
    it's good that you can replace the corroded spanner screw
    it's good that there is no play on the special bearing bolts
    you will not need to send the complete part to the Japanese for refubished
    thanks to Jonathan

....I think it is a plain bearing
    Last edited by ozon02; 03-03-2019 at 11:39 AM.

Nice. The EPS costs some serious money. Interesting to see how you refurbish it.

....from the new video I see that, unfortunately, there is also play (paralell- at the same time) between the bearing (inner race)and the pin
    Last edited by ozon02; 03-03-2019 at 11:46 AM.

Yet another fantastic investigation and explanation of the dreaded EPS knocking/play fault Jonathan. 👏👏

Good luck in finding the correct bearing type of which I'm sure you will. 👍

I feel so pleased to have non EPS now. 🤗
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

Yup, definitely a bearing arrangement that has failed.... If I cannot find the correct bearing it will get a spherical joint of the same dimensions, or a custom bush... I have seen pics of someone with a Tig welder in that area!!!!
    Last edited by britlude; 03-03-2019 at 01:41 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

further down, the sensor gears look ok.....

Sensor area... by jon sutherland, on Flickr

the gears dont seem to have any missing teeth....

IMG_20190303_112845 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

D1guy on NSXprime has pics of these with teeth broken off, so I shall check the HPC catalogue and see what they have, i'm sure it'll be a standard metric MOD pitch

...just now got to get the steering input housing bolts to shift.... bent one tool, just broken the tip off the 'lifetime guarantee' tool i just got in specially, literally lasted 20 seconds! ! that'll be going back then! Honda used security torx bolts, so it needs the 6 spline key, but is 'security', so has a pin in the middle...... this means the tool has a hole in the middle, so is significantly weaker than the usual tool .... having been assembled for 26+ years it's reluctant to move....grrrrr
    Last edited by britlude; 03-03-2019 at 02:39 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

Quote Originally Posted by britlude View Post
    At the last MOT the replacement rack was showing an early indication of a problem, no loose play, but a slight lag in assist, so my spare rack was taken off the shelf and investigations begin!
    I always follow your threads Jonathan! And it is amazing that you decided to work on the EPS! and specially to share with us!

I know you will find the correct parts to put it to work, if others did, you will do it for sure! the big difference here is that you are sharing information and this will help all of us in the future.

when you mention your current EPS rack is showing a slight lag in assist, do you think it could be related to missing teeth on the gears? Asking these because i can also feel that lag and was considering opening my EPS rack to see if that would be the cause... Or do you think it could be something diferent?

Thanks
    Bruno

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast