Thread: Replacement for Q9 on 91 NSX CCU board

Default Replacement for Q9 on 91 NSX CCU board

Hi all,

I have recently replaced all the caps on the CCU board of my 91 NSX. No big leaks, except for C11 which has flooded the nearby Q9. The three legs of the Q9 are all covered in green gunk and doesn’t look pretty. It seems likely that Q9 won’t be fully working and I would rather replace it.

The inscription on Q9 has faded away, but from what I gather it is a transistor.

I would be very grateful if anyone of you knowledgeable guys could spell out the inscription on Q9 for me!

If that very breed of transistor is no longer available – is there any modern version transistor I could use as a substitute?

I would truly appreciate your answers!

/Johan

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NIL3N.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	13611

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NIL3N2.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	13612

Last edited by Apogee; 22-01-2019 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Added pics

Looking at the picture, I'd bet it's the same as the one in the pic with the un-smudged lettering
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

I guess you’re right, Jonathan.

At least the top line on the housing is the same on both Q9 and Q10 – "NIL3N".

So I will see if can find any replacement. Or else I will just clean the legs of Q9 and try out the board in my NSX to see if it works in its present shape.

Anyway, thanks for your answer.

/Johan

Blog Entries

I can confirm that the Q9 and Q10 are using the same Tr because I had to remove them in the past.

Knowing the manufacture of the CCU, I think the 2nd digit of the model no. is '1' and not 'I'.
    Therefore, it's N1L3N instead of NIL3N.

Most likely, the resistor built-in PNP Tr with 4.7Kohm and 10Kohm inside.
    Because it was designed and manufactured in the '80s, almost all of the parts used on the CCU board are not RoHs compliant and thus, very likely to be superseded or discontinued.
    Possible candidate: NEC BN1L3N but now the company is called Renesas.

I saw your post on NSX Prime and the reply to it.
    As far as I know, the bottom column of 'K303L' is the Lot # or rank indicator and not the model no..

I'll be servicing another CCU board very soon so will take a look.

Kaz

Blog Entries

Just a follow up.

As you can see, it's N1L3N.
    The lower column is different from yours and thus, it's the Lot/Rank/etc number.
    Q9 and Q10 are the same.

Kaz

Kaz,

Thank you very much for your answer and your confirmation that Q9 and Q10 are all the same.

As I just wrote on Prime – I will put the board as it is to test before I do anything else. But thanks to your answers, I now know in which direction to look for a substitute, if I have to. Much appreciated.

/Johan