Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Headlight LED.....i've fitted some.....

Default Headlight LED.....i've fitted some.....

I've been running HID headlights, in dipped and main, for quite a while now, and with the changes to the MOT (whereby aftermarket HIDs are now outlawed in the dipped beam if it's not in HID specific housings) and the amazing LED lights in the hotrod, i thought i'd do a bit of investigation....

so i bought some, as they are now down to the cheap end of the range and affordable in an experimental way..... going on Prime was no help, as mine, being JDM, has H1 bulbs for dipped and main so i got some of these, with the flexible braid heatsink....

s-l1600 (2) by jon sutherland, on Flickr

all very well... but it turns out they didn't have any pips on the H1 mount adaptor... ok for most of the cars of the world, as there is a 'D' location that has the same purpose..... except on mine it uses the pips, no D location....so it floats around... and so the led moves, so the reflector/lense doesn't do its thing, so pointless.. scrap that one....

whilst reading the nsxprime i was led to the new type of LED setup which uses a more bead like single led that gives better coverage, especially for projector lenses.... (rather than 3 led chips in a line).... worth a punt.....

s-l1600 (1) by jon sutherland, on Flickr

yup, worth a punt, got the pips for H1, but the cap on the end means it don't fit through the hole in the headlight housing!!!

still, narrows down the search, and i'll use them somewhere!

so eventually find these, got the pips, fan cooled, slim body, lumileds led chips....

s-l1600 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

add some 70mm ones of these...
    s-l1600 (3) by jon sutherland, on Flickr

and we're good to go!
    Last edited by britlude; 02-01-2019 at 10:02 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

after having the HIDs and the dip cut off level being a little marginal for my liking, i'd already bought a set of replacement headlight adjusters to replace the rusty/seized ones on the car.... just as well really as when i took the housings out, i was presented with.....

Headlight adjuster.... by jon sutherland, on Flickr

mm bodes well!!!

still.... i have an angle grinder!

IMG_20181229_095358 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

they then could be persuaded to come out!!

soon the covers were opened up, and new bulbs were in.....

IMG_20181229_095142 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

wires routed, rubber covers fitted, and back in....
    IMG_20181229_102630 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

(one has tape on it as i ordered the 75mm, not the 70mm as i did when i'd done the dipped beam... oops!)
    aka Jonathan!!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

once in, and set up to roughly where they were previously we have a dipped-beam with a nice clean cut off....

IMG_20181229_171828 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

and a nice full full-beam

IMG_20181229_171832 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

on the road the improvements over the full HID setup i had.......

an instant turn on, INSTANT turn on!

the main beam is actually better, as i'm getting less glare off of road signage, that was annoying!

if i flash someone then it's actually bright when the lamps pop up, rather than 'warming up' for a bit!

no Hid whistle, and no big HID boxes so a neater install.....
    aka Jonathan!!

while i was there, i went through the new bits box of parts i need but not actually fitted yet.....

fed up with this!
    IMG_20181229_102810 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

so while the headlights were out....shiny new...

2019-01-02_09-35-00 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

aged and green!
    IMG_20181229_103029 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

better!!!
    IMG_20181229_115744 by jon sutherland, on Flickr
    aka Jonathan!!

Nice work on the LEDs Jon.
    Do you have a link to the kits please? Not sure I've found the right ones. There are some without fans, were they no good?
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NIGHTEYE-...-/163312916196

Quote Originally Posted by NSXGB View Post
    Nice work on the LEDs Jon.
    Do you have a link to the kits please? Not sure I've found the right ones. There are some without fans, were they no good?
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NIGHTEYE-...-/163312916196

these were the ones i got... slim body, H1 with the pips.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nighteye-...53.m1438.l2649

you'll have to double check what bulbs you have, the LED threads on prime use a different bulb....

another thing to note is that some come with a moulded 2 pin plug to make installation easier on cars with a socket connector.... that's ok, but its a bit tight in the housing, so separate flying leads is better........

re. fan/fanless...no idea!! i didn't know if the unfanned ones were for setups where the base of the bulb was outside the housing (some just have a rubber cover that goes around the bulb base) so thought fanned might help in the nsx enclosed headlight. also thought the fan would push around the wam air, as some feedback suggests the cooler light source led to lenses fogging/freezing in cold conditions....
    aka Jonathan!!

Yet another excellent upgrade Jon, I've ordered my dip and main beam bulbs that you've decided to fit along with a pair of H3 front fog lamp bulbs. These are non fan assisted, mainly due to depth at the bag of the fog lamp considerations.

You replaced the cups at the back of the headlamps:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0090.JPG 
Views:	160 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	13591

Do do you mind telling us where you got these from and did you just hot glue them in place??
    Cheers
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

the rubber covers i got are these in 70mm....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-HID-LE...72.m2749.l2649

cheaper if you are prepared to wait!

70mm ones fit nicely over the nsx covers once they are trimmed... you have to cut a hole out of the back of them to allow the bulb to stick though, and once the covers have the 'fins' trimmed back, the 70mm covers fit nice and snug.

if you look at my pic, (with the 2 bulb fans/heatsinks) you can see the trimmed covers... i basically cut off the backs level(ish) with the angled bit (when you look at the cover you'll see what i mean) trimmed the vanes and the rubbers fit snugly
    Last edited by britlude; 03-01-2019 at 10:02 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

Thanks Jonathan

Have ordered the same.
    :-)

SS
    Lexus LC500h.......New Daily run around with some saving the Planet thoughts
    Black/black 95 NSX NA with mk1 Ary exhaust....Now sold
    Red/Black 91 NSX treasure.....FI No more NA
    Silver/Pearl White/Black 1993 NSX 3.0 5 MT NSX ZAZ R-GT Twin Scroll Turbo

Omg... No pressure then....
    aka Jonathan!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast