Thread: Front foglight bulb change

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default Front foglight bulb change

My nearside front foglight bulb has blown and I'm trying to replace it.

I've got the bulb spec, but am struggling to actually figure out how to get into the unit to replace it. The owner's manual is curiously silent on the matter, and the workshop manual I have is for the US, where of course they don't have fog (or something).

I had a bit of a poke around the front of the car at the weekend - there are a couple of screws that don't seem to do much, and a rusty-looking bolt that I can't seem to shift.

Does that rusty bolt hold the whole unit in and the bulb get replaced from behind? Do I just need a torrent of WD40 and a bigger breaker bar?

Blog Entries

I've already removed the fog light unit from my NSX years ago and the other one I'm servicing at the moment is the face lifted model so without the fog light.

If I remember correctly, there was only one short bolt at the outboard holding the entire fog light body at the vertical bracket. I think I used 12mm socket.

For supporting the inboard side, there is a metal tab attached to the light body and it is inserted to the slit on the lower skirt of the front bumper.

So, after removing the single bolt, you need to slide out the metal tab from the slit while disconnecting the connector at the back.
    This will let the entire light assy off the car.
    Then, replace the H3 bulb.

Kaz

3. Default

Thanks Kaz, that's spot-on. Will get out a bigger set of sockets and a can of WD40!

I managed to replace the side light bulbs from the inside (remove headlight screws and tilt skywards) as the lamp screws are hopelessly corroded.

I don't know if you might reach the fogs in the same fashion.
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson

5. Default

Well, it appears I have a different problem.

With the use of a bigger spanner I have released the bolt, removed the fog light unit, and replaced the bulb.

Not only do I not have a working fog light, but now I've noticed that the sidelight isn't working either.

To be honest, not sure if the sidelight was working previously, or if it's something I've managed to disable during my fumblings.

Do they share a common harness somewhere that I might have dislodged? Any other suggestions?

You might have slightly irritated it and either the push-in lamp has come adrift, or promptly blown. I did the latter re-installing a Not an Ashtray lamp in the Leg End.

I'd check the obvious first as co-incidence isn't necessarily causation.
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson